What's new

Tight draws

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Why do CCs need so much time? A few years is kind of ridiculous.
The difference is how the tobacco is processed and aged before rolling. CCs aren't rolled with pre-aged tobacco so they need time to go through the aging process after they are rolled. NCs are almost always rolled with tobacco that has been aged at least a few years already, sometimes much much more and that is why they don't need to age like CCs do. As far as plugged vs non-plugged, as someone who rolls cigars, smaller rg and longer sticks are more prone to plugging due to the tendency of the filler to twist during the bunching process. The bunch can be packed too tight easily on smaller ring gauge sticks which will also cause draw issues. At higher rh, the leaf expands some due to the moisture absorption, that is why dryboxing and storing at a lower rh has helped some people that have experienced tight draws. I'm far from an expert, just sharing what I have experienced and learned. Ymmv

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
The difference is how the tobacco is processed and aged before rolling. CCs aren't rolled with pre-aged tobacco so they need time to go through the aging process after they are rolled. NCs are almost always rolled with tobacco that has been aged at least a few years already, sometimes much much more and that is why they don't need to age like CCs do. As far as plugged vs non-plugged, as someone who rolls cigars, smaller rg and longer sticks are more prone to plugging due to the tendency of the filler to twist during the bunching process. The bunch can be packed too tight easily on smaller ring gauge sticks which will also cause draw issues. At higher rh, the leaf expands some due to the moisture absorption, that is why dryboxing and storing at a lower rh has helped some people that have experienced tight draws. I'm far from an expert, just sharing what I have experienced and learned. Ymmv
Ty Jonathan, I understand you buddy :finger:

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thank you. That explains a lot. Now here's another question (sorry to be derailing this thread): let's say you roll a cigar with fresh, un-aged tobacco and set it aside five years. Let's say you also take the same fresh tobaccos and let them age for five years, then roll a cigar. You now have a five year old cigar, and a brand new cigar made of five year old tobacco. Would the cigars be different?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Thank you. That explains a lot. Now here's another question (sorry to be derailing this thread): let's say you roll a cigar with fresh, un-aged tobacco and set it aside five years. Let's say you also take the same fresh tobaccos and let them age for five years, then roll a cigar. You now have a five year old cigar, and a brand new cigar made of five year old tobacco. Would the cigars be different?
I know absolutely nothing about this but I will answer anyway. :)
The one that's been rolled and aged for five years would be better blended flavorwise.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Most of my plugs in CCs come from young & overstuffed rolls. Id say its uncommon in my 2015 & 2016 boxes. Ive noticed far less plugs in fresh CCs recently, and unfortunately more underfills. Anyway, regarding your plugs; I typically try to smoke CCs that have been acclimated and aged at a minimum of 2-3 years. I dont typically have draw issues with those cigars. Try getting a few aged boxes or putting some down for a long nap.

Unrelated to quality of roll, on occasion however you can get the fresh tobacco meld which occurs at the head under the cap, this is when fresh or wet tobacco gets dried out quickly and melds together. It happens to all tobacco. Smoke enough cigars and youll come across it eventually, all thats needed here is a fine point sewing needle or tooth pick.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I would imagine they would be different to some extent, but can't speak from personal experience. The sticks of mine that I have let sit a year have a much more refined flavor than one that has only sat two months. I would agree with @Ara that the one that spends the most time aging as a cigar and not whole leaf separately will most likely provide the best experience.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Most of my plugs in CCs come from young & overstuffed rolls. Id say its uncommon in my 2015 & 2016 boxes. Ive noticed far less plugs in fresh CCs recently, and unfortunately more underfills. Anyway, regarding your plugs; I typically try to smoke CCs that have been acclimated and aged at a minimum of 2-3 years. I dont typically have draw issues with those cigars. Try getting a few aged boxes or putting some down for a long nap.

Unrelated to quality of roll, on occasion however you can get the fresh tobacco meld which occurs at the head under the cap, this is when fresh or wet tobacco gets dried out quickly and melds together. It happens to all tobacco. Smoke enough cigars and youll come across it eventually, all thats needed here is a fine point sewing needle or tooth pick.
I've been smoking ccs since the early 90s and fresh ones and old ones and ones in between and I've had issues with them all at one time or another.

But again, my experience seems to not be the norm.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Cubans USED to be rolled with un -aged or barely aged leaf.
In 2003 this was abandoned for aged leaf, possibly due to the tremendous crops in 2000 and 2001.
The type of tobacco seed was changed as well for a strain more resistant to blue mold.
Historically Cubans needed a few years to even out and approach smokability, as well as having the potential to age into something amazing.
Are the cigars made since 2003 going to reach the heights of the previous cigars?
Too soon to tell,,,,,,,,,,