What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My daughter brought this to me for the New Year. It's SE Callahan's bourbon made in Jonesborough, TN. No Lincoln County processing here. It's only been aged for 2 years. Uses locally grown grains. I wasn't expecting much but was very surprised by the depth of flavor and very smooth mouth feel. Good solid flavor with notes of vanilla, oak and baking spices. Finishes with a hint of cherry and some leathery tobacco notes. This was my surprise whiskey of the year and a pleasant one at that. This distiller may be one to keep an eye on in this day and age of small craft bourbons.

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 128408
Found this at the grocery store in Truth or Consequences for msrp, the one store that had it in Albuquerque marked it up 40%. Fighting the urge to buy another.
I totally hear you on that. The stores by me are now selling it at $88, up from $50 (if you can find it). I recently went to Connecticut on a business trip and stopped by one of their more warehouse style stores. They were sold out but are still selling it at the pre-adjusted prices. I was so pissed that I had to leave early the next day, as their distributor was set to arrive in with Weller 107 later on.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I had some free time on Saturday and wanted to check out 3 nearby (although 22 miles away) warehouse style spirit stores in hopes of finding something allocated or rare. I found exactly what I came for. The first place was a literal goldmine. I got to speak with the owner firsthand and he told me he’s been doing what’s he’s been doing for 22 years and knows just how to work the system.

His method: sell the shit out of Fireball and Southern Comfort and you get taken care of with the good stuff

The result: a private stockroom of a hoard of 2017/2018 BTAC. 150 bottles of Pappy variety (ORVW, Lot B, 15, 20, 23), and a whole floor full of boxes & bottles of Thomas Handy, Eagle Rare 17, George T. Stagg, LaRue Weller, etc. He claims to have already sold over 30 bottles of various Pappy’s. No Weller 107, Special Reserve or 12 to be found, but he does get them in frequently and the 107 is $40.

The downside or upside depending on how motivated you are: low end secondary market pricing. This means that he’s only asking $1000 for Pappy 23 and respectively downward in price for everything else. He also had signed bottles of Hillrock from the recently passed Dave Pickerell.

I was able to walk out of there without having my bonus drained (sort of). I did however manage to score a rare private Barrel Select of none other than Blanton’s Single Barrel. I call it “Private” because it’s not displayed on the showroom floor or even priced...nothing there was. They also had one bottle standard bottle left on the shelf for $59.99. I was able to score my private Select for only $67. So excited!! Gonna crack it open tonight.

I would’ve taken more photos but there was a sign in the private room (with door code) that said “no photography”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 2nd store had some pretty cool stuff but nothing nearly as exciting as the first one. In fact the owner wasn’t too fond of the other guy as he said he gets all the good stuff, leaving him with the crumbs.

The third place was another goldmine but with a catch. This guy was another heavyweight but had a system in place for those looking for allocation and other rare bourbons. You have to set up an account and earn loyalty points to gain access to his collection. Then you win the opportunity to buy from his private selection. I am totally on board with this idea. However his standard selection kind of lacks. It’s pretty small compared to what I’m use to at my dedicated Warehouse location. They do have a pretty good wine and beer selection and you can accumulate points that way too, so I’m not ruling it out.

His collection is something to see though and he does private tastings all the time. He had the full Weller line (I think) and even...wait for it...a collection of Elmer T Lee up for grabs.

Last edited:

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I had some free time on Saturday and wanted to check out 3 nearby (although 22 miles away) warehouse style spirit stores in hopes of finding something allocated or rare. I found exactly what I came for. The first place was a literal goldmine. I got to speak with the owner firsthand and he told me he’s been doing what’s he’s been doing for 22 years and knows just how to work the system.

His method: sell the shit out of Fireball and Southern Comfort and you get taken care of with the good stuff

The result: a private stockroom of a hoard of 2017/2018 BTAC. 150 bottles of Pappy variety (ORVW, Lot B, 15, 20, 23), and a whole floor full of boxes & bottles of Thomas Handy, Eagle Rare 17, George T. Stagg, LaRue Weller, etc. He claims to have already sold over 30 bottles of various Pappy’s. No Weller 107, Special Reserve or 12 to be found, but he does get them in frequently and the 107 is $40.

The downside or upside depending on how motivated you are: low end secondary market pricing. This means that he’s only asking $1000 for Pappy 23 and respectively downward in price for everything else. He also had signed bottles of Hillrock from the recently passed Dave Pickerell.

I was able to walk out of there without having my bonus drained (sort of). I did however manage to score a rare private Barrel Select of none other than Blanton’s Single Barrel. I call it “Private” because it’s not displayed on the showroom floor or even priced...nothing there was. They also had one bottle standard bottle left on the shelf for $59.99. I was able to score my private Select for only $67. So excited!! Gonna crack it open tonight.

I would’ve taken more photos but there was a sign in the private room (with door code) that said “no photography”

And where are you from again lol?