What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m happy to report that I have found a place where loyalty actually matters and goes somewhere each year. It’s the most unlikely of places I know, but when you think about it, it’s a no brainer. Of course I’d rather support a small business, being that I once was a Small Business owner, but not many of those places around here that gets a sizable BTAC in each year, and doesn’t charge secondary market pricing (low or high).

It’s a grocery store chain!! Not the most glamorous of choices I know. I spoke with the manager on Monday and he put me down on his list, which gets tracked through my membership card. They have a decent (although not the best) selection that is luckily growing, but I think I can make it work. As for the BTAC; they get in about 40 bottles a year and charge retail. That means a Pappy 23 goes for about $250 & GTS/WLW goes for much less. It all depends on how much you spend. This year one of the lucky Pappy 23 winners spent around $4000 for the year. Ok that’s a lot haha.

I spent maybe 1/4 that at my go-to store this year and the best i was awarded was a 1 in 6 chance of winning a bottle of George T Stagg. Plus the store manager I’ve known for 4 years has just quit. So not really happy with that place now, seeing that I’m practically guaranteed something at the end of this year, which includes the full Weller & Blanton’s line.

Anyways just wanted to share that with you guys and say that sometimes you have to look in the most unlikely of places to get what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Grocery stores are an awesome place to build relationships like that. The ones I shop don't track liquor purchases, but see me shopping frequently. I get to know the managers and make sure they see the cart full of groceries when I'm there, regardless of any purchases in the liquor department. Learn when delivery days are, and shop for groceries on those days. Those places are my most reliable sources for limited run booze, and are generally at retail.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sadly the county where I live controls all liquor sales at their stores and HTF/allocated items are mostly through lottery and some stuff first come first serve. The BTAC/Pappy Release lottery winners supposed to be announced today and an event next weekend with some first come first serve stuff including ORVW10.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grocery stores are an awesome place to build relationships like that. The ones I shop don't track liquor purchases, but see me shopping frequently. I get to know the managers and make sure they see the cart full of groceries when I'm there, regardless of any purchases in the liquor department. Learn when delivery days are, and shop for groceries on those days. Those places are my most reliable sources for limited run booze, and are generally at retail.
Good to know that. That’s awesome. Sadly the liquor department in this store is a separate building but i hear what you’re saying. I wonder if wine and beer purchases count towards the year end reward. That’s my next question to him.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sadly the county where I live controls all liquor sales at their stores and HTF/allocated items are mostly through lottery and some stuff first come first serve. The BTAC/Pappy Release lottery winners supposed to be announced today and an event next weekend with some first come first serve stuff including ORVW10.

Good to know that. That’s awesome. Sadly the liquor department in this store is a separate building but i hear what you’re saying. I wonder if wine and beer purchases count towards the year end reward. That’s my next question to him.

It's strange how everywhere has different ways to handle liquor. In KC, we have a state line running through town. MO is relatively loose on control. KS, though, can't sell liquor in grocery stores, so every store has a LS "next door", which is essentially attached. Hard to gain advantage from groceries if you have to leave the grocery store to shop liquor. In MO, where I live, I go thru the LS checkout with my groceries so they can't help but notice what I spend...

One grocery, I had to have a heart-to-heart with the LS manager in Nov. I was good friends with the previous manager and his replacement had words with me about buying more to get access to the LE stuff. Caught me by surprise when it happened, so I returned the next day to explain my stance. I don't buy a lot from the LS cuz I've already had all the stuff on the shelf. The large money I spend shopping groceries is only because of the LE shopping I do. Cut me off, and the grocery bill will go elsewhere. Our "Come to Jesus" chat worked well, and we are now really good friends too... I think it sank in with him due to timing. At that point, the Pappy and BTAC was due shortly, and they had 100s of calls and 100s of visits from people they'd never seen in the store before. Easy to root for those that support you when everyone else is taking advantage...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some WLW with my dad after taking the kids out in the snow and picking up the new WLW he won in this year’s lotto.

Lucky man. A grandfather and a winner of a great bourbon. That one is on my list this year, hopefully I will have spent enough this year to earn it.

Unfortunately that place I was touting last week that was supposed to be the spot that would open up the floodgates for BTAC other rarer bourbons might be too good to be true. I heard from one of the members of my cigar club, who’s a dedicated shopper there (and near the top of the list for BTAC), who also spent big money last year and went home with nothing this year.

Luckily I have a backup and a place that actually has a much much much better selection...the biggest in New Jersey mind you. I met the owner too and had a discussion about my predicament; he appears to be of the same mind. So fingers crossed. It’s right in between where I work and where my parents retired, so it’s super convenient.

This is his selection, it’s quite the sight to see in person. He has Bourbons I’ve never even heard of before.

His Bourbon collection. The entire shelf, all 6 rows

His Scotch collection. The same.

His rare Scotch Collection. Never seen anything like this before. It’s huge

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Lucky man. A grandfather and a winner of a great bourbon. That one is on my list this year, hopefully I will have spent enough this year to earn it.

Unfortunately that place I was touting last week that was supposed to be the spot that would open up the floodgates for BTAC other rarer bourbons might be too good to be true. I heard from one of the members of my cigar club, who’s a dedicated shopper there (and near the top of the list for BTAC), who also spent big money last year and went home with nothing this year.

Luckily I have a backup and a place that actually has a much much much better selection...the biggest in New Jersey mind you. I met the owner too and had a discussion about my predicament; he appears to be of the same mind. So fingers crossed. It’s right in between where I work and where my parents retired, so it’s super convenient.

This is his selection, it’s quite the sight to see in person. He has Bourbons I’ve never even heard of before.

That's a ton of Buffalo Trace

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

I spy some Makers Mark Private Select on that shelf along with some other great options. I remember us talking about how regular Makers is pretty underwhelming, and the cask strength was much better but still missing something. I’d highly recommend taking a look at those Makers Private Selects. I’ve tried three different recipes, two of which have been amazing, and third still very good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I spy some Makers Mark Private Select on that shelf along with some other great options. I remember us talking about how regular Makers is pretty underwhelming, and the cask strength was much better but still missing something. I’d highly recommend taking a look at those Makers Private Selects. I’ve tried three different recipes, two of which have been amazing, and third still very good.

Awesome! It’s definitely on my list, even took a special picture of it while I was there.