What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I like your repurposed Blanton’s bottle. Also I spy some Rye, you must be a fan. How’s the Sazerac? I’ve yet to try it but heard that it’s not what it use to be, is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really dont drink a lot of rye. Like it, generally, but dont reach for it often. That's just the corner that my ryes landed on. Not shown are KC rye Cask Strength, EHT Rye, and Willett.

I tend to prefer the Kentucky Rye style for sipping, having a low rye mashbill (51-60%, generally). The MGP 95% is more of a mixer to me (like the Pepper in the pic). Bold and spicy flavor shines through the cocktail. The lower % ryes sip more like a spicy bourbon.

I havent tried the sazerac in several years, and it was mixed in cocktails then. It's more of a Kentucky style, so it should sip nicely. I'll have to open it and revisit...

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Is Elmer T Lee readily available where you are? I’ve never seen one before in New Jersey.

Unfortunately I have never seen ETL locally in the wild. My little brother was able to pick up in Nashville, TN from a local allotment. He is more of a Scotch drinker while I prefer Bourbon. It works out nicely as we usually have a few bottles to trade when we get together.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I have never seen ETL locally in the wild. My little brother was able to pick up in Nashville, TN from a local allotment. He is more of a Scotch drinker while I prefer Bourbon. It works out nicely as we usually have a few bottles to trade when we get together.
I wonder why ETL is in such short supply lately. I think it should be a prerequisite for Buffalo Trace to carry it considering we have Elmer to thank for Blanton's which is what helped put Buffalo Trace on the map. At least for tribute sake.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It's absolutely one of the best for the money. Since it's a SiB, I always break open a new bottle immediately. Every now and then, you come across a honey barrel (all are good but a few are exceptional). When you find one, go back and clear the matching barrel # bottles.

There is some concern with availability lately. Not sure if it's a cutback in production or a greater following due to high profile bourbon writers singing its praises. There are some markets where it's very hard to find or non-existent.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Henry McKenna BiB. Does anything punch above its weight more? So good. Will never again not have this in the cabinet.

Couldn't agree more, I absolutely loved my batch. The only one I can think of is Basil Hayden 80 Proof. It drinks at least like a 90 proof.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I started my day off in an unexpected manner... Dropped in at my local LS (Friday is delivery day) and got to help pick a barrel. This was my 5th with them, 3rd Knob Creek.

Tasted blind so I wouldnt be swayed by details or expectations. Nose of the first was pretty plain. Nothing off-putting, nothing exciting. Second was very alcohol forward, third was awesome. I told them I thought I already knew the winner. In fact, predicted the first two came from higher in the rickhouse, third lower and more centrally located.

Tasting, the first had a hint of the popcorn flavor that Beam products, except the well-aged ones, typically have. Second tasted like it nosed, hot. Still good flavors of oak and butterscotch and good finish, but a high proofer will need more water added when proofed down to 120 for bottling, potentially diluting other things in the process. I was right about the third, deep, rich sweetness and oak, great oily mouthfeel, long finish. Bingo.

Upon examining the details, I was kinda right. Third was right in the middle of the rickhouse, low 4th floor. The other two were similar floors (high 4, low 5) but on the outside where temp fluctuations are greater. To my surprise, all 3 were 14 year old barrels. Proofs were 133, 134, 122.

Final decision was waiting for one more customer to sample, but had been narrowed to 1 or 3. Apparently one customer drinks a lot of Craft stuff, and appreciates the grain-forward profile more. The store manager liked both, but understood the dilution and effect it has on the final bottling. Leans toward 3.

Whichever the choice is, the barrel will show up in March... IMO, these barrel picks from Knob Creek are some of the best value in bourbon. Where else can you get this kind of age and quality for $40ish. I like the value of HMcK10 and ER10 a lot too, and both are a little cheaper, but there is something special about a high proof bourbon with that kind of age...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speaking of bourbon sets. After 3 years I finally gave Elijah Craig a second chance. It’s obviously different from the once 12 year small batch but still really good. The glass is ok but nowhere near the quality of my Woodford one.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm surprised many of you use standard rock glasses for your libations. Any reason you're not using Glencairn?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm surprised many of you use standard rock glasses for your libations. Any reason you're not using Glencairn?
I make it a rule to use my glencairn when I’m at my lounge but when I’m home I enjoy using Old Fashioned Glasses. Before I wasn’t able to drink anything, let alone Barrel Proof out of a rocks glass without wincing but I’ve trained myself through persistence. I figured since many of you guys have said Barrel Proof Bourbons are better enjoyed with a wider lipped glass I better get with it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, I like the feel of a heavy rocks glass but since I make such small pours I like how the glencairn concentrates the nose. Makes sense to use a rocks glass when drinking high proof spirits, allows the alcohol to dissipate a bit before entering the sinuses.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I like the feel of a heavy rocks glass but since I make such small pours I like how the glencairn concentrates the nose. Makes sense to use a rocks glass when drinking high proof spirits, allows the alcohol to dissipate a bit before entering the sinuses.
True, when you’re nosing, a rocks glass is preferred. I’ve noticed much deeper notes on the nose when using a rocks glass. I first realized this when I was drinking Willett Family Estate Small Batch Rye, I got a deep note of orange peel on the nose

However I still prefer a Glencairn with high proof whiskey. When I’m sipping from a rocks glass my nose is exposed to the inside of the rim, which can be distracting. I don’t have that problem with the Glencairn as my nose sits on the outside of the rim when sipping.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can see your point when sipping, you're not nosing the entire pour and do not want to be distracted by the raw alcohol of high proof whiskey. Next time I sit down to do some attentive tasting I'll try both ways and see if I find a difference. I use a Glencairn 95% of the time so never thought to look for a difference.