What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Still learning. Ended up having to throw it back over bthe coals for a bit longer. Had awesome flavor. Just needed a little more time in the smoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I saw you were using a digital probe thermometer. What was your target temp?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Do you freeze yours in the vacuum packs? That what I do when I do a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I've never done the volume to need to freeze. I bought a 2nd top rack for my WSM and gutted the middle of the grate out so I can skewer the strips and lay the skewer across to let them hang. After some trial and error I figured out that It'll hold 5 pounds of meat. Once it's dehydrated I get a little more than 2 pounds when finished. Then take into account that I snack on it while taking it off the smoker, some more while vacuum sealing, and leave some unsealed, I usually get 6- 4oz baggies. By the time I bring a pack or 2 to work, and my brother mooches some off me, it doesn't last more than a week.

I'd like to make a few ugly drum smokers to be able to get my volume up and if I do that, I'll definitely look into freezing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've never done the volume to need to freeze. I bought a 2nd top rack for my WSM and gutted the middle of the grate out so I can skewer the strips and lay the skewer across to let them hang. After some trial and error I figured out that It'll hold 5 pounds of meat. Once it's dehydrated I get a little more than 2 pounds when finished. Then take into account that I snack on it while taking it off the smoker, some more while vacuum sealing, and leave some unsealed, I usually get 6- 4oz baggies. By the time I bring a pack or 2 to work, and my brother mooches some off me, it doesn't last more than a week.

I'd like to make a few ugly drum smokers to be able to get my volume up and if I do that, I'll definitely look into freezing it

What cuts of meat are you using? And do you season at all? It looks crazy good man

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What cuts of meat are you using? And do you season at all? It looks crazy good man
This batch was rump roast. I've used flank steak, and bottom round mostly in the past. Whatever's leanest and when I can catch them on sale. This batch I used a seasoning kit I got from cabelas. It's not bad at all. I prefer to use the Alton brown jerky recipe for marinade but that shit gets a bit spendy when you start doing bigger batches