What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Well the misses got me a 4# brisket and a big ole pork loin not sure what to think about the loin... and I ran out of time for my test run.. tomorrow will be interesting. .. picked me up some apple and cherry chips. Do you guys throw your chips in the water bucket or on the coals?

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well the misses got me a 4# brisket and a big ole pork loin not sure what to think about the loin... and I ran out of time for my test run.. tomorrow will be interesting. .. picked me up some apple and cherry chips. Do you guys throw your chips in the water bucket or on the coals?
I like to put my chips in tin foil and place on my coals. No water on the chips anymore cause I felt like it was a waste of time. You are trying to burn the stuff to make smoke and the first thing you do is wet it so it won't burn. Most of my apple comes from my trees so I all sorts of chunks and chips.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You sir are talking my language.
I've been working on those language skills!

Lemmetellya, cooking those butts really drove home why BBQ can be expensive to eat out. I normally cook a small picnic shoulder for the wife and myself but I went big this time so I could put some in the freezer. I bought a 2-pack that totaled 18.84 pounds. Minus some water, a lot of rendered fat, and a bit of tough stuff, I wound up vac-packing a yield of 8 pounds, 15 ounces.

The ribs were a success, too, having come out pull-off-bone tender. I've got my turkey breasts dialed in pretty good, so the first bite I take just about makes me fall on the floor.

Oh...and this weekend let me reach back in time. I was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC for 11 years and loved Carolina style 'cue since day one. Thinking about a pig pickin' makes my mouth water. Poking around Amazon a few weeks ago, I came across a bottle of Scott's sauce. I ate a lot of their BBQ in Goldsboro so I immediately ordered a bottle. Every bit as good as I remember and the wife really likes it, too. Now I just need to perfect my own.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I've been working on those language skills!

Lemmetellya, cooking those butts really drove home why BBQ can be expensive to eat out. I normally cook a small picnic shoulder for the wife and myself but I went big this time so I could put some in the freezer. I bought a 2-pack that totaled 18.84 pounds. Minus some water, a lot of rendered fat, and a bit of tough stuff, I wound up vac-packing a yield of 8 pounds, 15 ounces.

The ribs were a success, too, having come out pull-off-bone tender. I've got my turkey breasts dialed in pretty good, so the first bite I take just about makes me fall on the floor.

Oh...and this weekend let me reach back in time. I was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC for 11 years and loved Carolina style 'cue since day one. Thinking about a pig pickin' makes my mouth water. Poking around Amazon a few weeks ago, I came across a bottle of Scott's sauce. I ate a lot of their BBQ in Goldsboro so I immediately ordered a bottle. Every bit as good as I remember and the wife really likes it, too. Now I just need to perfect my own.
If you like Carolina Style, Look up Pig Pucker Sauce, Easy to make and really adds a nice touch to a Pulled Pork Sandwich. I've never brined a Pork Butt, I normally just Rub with a nice Mustard Slather and then Add my Rub for an over-nite rest. My Turkey always gets a Brine and Lately, I've been Injecting my Brisket.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Today is going to be a long one for me. I've got the annual family BBQ in 14 hours, so I'm pulling an all nighter right now.

Up first is a 10# brisket, and 15#s of pork shoulder. Just put them on the smoker. Next I have to prep 40 chicken legs and 6 racks of baby backs.
I've got nothing else to do, so more picks will be coming I'm sure.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0

Brisket and shoulder 6 hours in.
I've prepped both the chicken and the ribs. Ribs go on in a couple of hours.
Already one screw up. I thought I grabbed two packs of chicken legs, but of course it was only one. The good news is I don't have to lollipop another 20 legs.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Dang it all. Everything turned out great today. I got everything ready and served all at the same time with a house full of hungry guests and I forgot to take a picture of the finished spread before they all tore into it.