What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No problem man! I found some fine ground Himalayan sea salt that is really the key here I think. First time around I used a full tbsp and that was too much. If you like salt maybe go 2/3 tbsp
I've seen a lot of info on coffee in beef rubs and have thought about trying it. I know this sounds crazy, but in my 46 years I've never drank coffee and was worried about ruining a good piece of meat. I also haven't had caffine in over 12 years. What affect do you think it has on the meat?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've seen a lot of info on coffee in beef rubs and have thought about trying it. I know this sounds crazy, but in my 46 years I've never drank coffee and was worried about ruining a good piece of meat. I also haven't had caffine in over 12 years. What affect do you think it has on the meat?
First off, how do you live?!? Lol j/k.

I'm sure there is going to be a small amount of caffeine that you wind up ingesting, but I think it is truly minimal. I do not taste a coffee flavor at all, it really just compliments the beef flavor. You don't have to use coffee in your beef rub, or as much as I do, but I really do think it benefits the flavors. Experiment with it on something small and see what you think, but I think you will like it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
First off, how do you live?!? Lol j/k.

I'm sure there is going to be a small amount of caffeine that you wind up ingesting, but I think it is truly minimal. I do not taste a coffee flavor at all, it really just compliments the beef flavor. You don't have to use coffee in your beef rub, or as much as I do, but I really do think it benefits the flavors. Experiment with it on something small and see what you think, but I think you will like it.
I love coffee in beef rub. What do you use In yours? I've had good luck with fresh finely ground light roast chocolate toned ones and oddly enough instant Maxwell house (though usually about 1/3 the amount of normal coffee). The long cook will get rid of any caffeine and it really rounds out the taste of habanero if you're into that as well. A little raisin and you'll head into the Mexican mole style that goes Mazingly well with beef cheeks btw.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I love coffee in beef rub. What do you use In yours? I've had good luck with fresh finely ground light roast chocolate toned ones and oddly enough instant Maxwell house (though usually about 1/3 the amount of normal coffee). The long cook will get rid of any caffeine and it really rounds out the taste of habanero if you're into that as well. A little raisin and you'll head into the Mexican mole style that goes Mazingly well with beef cheeks btw.
I used Peets Ethiopian in this one, finely and freshly ground. It isn't as fruity as most Ethiopian coffees, it has an earthiness that works well. I roast a Guatemalan/Tanzanian blend myself that I will use next time that I think will work really really well. Lots of chocolate and hints of lemon in that blend.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is one pan out of three of the finished product. We invited the on duty firefighters and police officers to our neighborhood party too to give back for their service to our community. We also took all the leftovers up which included hamburgers and hotdogs to the station for the guys and gals that didn't get to come to the party.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
This is one pan out of three of the finished product. We invited the on duty firefighters and police officers to our neighborhood party too to give back for their service to our community. We also took all the leftovers up which included hamburgers and hotdogs to the station for the guys and gals that didn't get to come to the party.
That looks delicious brother & I’m sure your 1st responders really appreciated it!!! Thanks for showing them some support!!!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wife asked me to do a pork shoulder we had in the fridge at about 10am today so I decided to try my hand at a hot and fast cook which is something I've been meaning to try. Pulled out the shoulder and rubbed it, then fired up some B&B lump oak to put over some apple wood chunks and see how well I could do this on my kettle. Ran the sucker at 330f for 5 hours, pulled when internal hit 194f and wrapped in foil and a towel to rest for an hour before pulling. The results were killer and for large pieces of meat I don't feel like low and slow is the only way to go.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Wife asked me to do a pork shoulder we had in the fridge at about 10am today so I decided to try my hand at a hot and fast cook which is something I've been meaning to try. Pulled out the shoulder and rubbed it, then fired up some B&B lump oak to put over some apple wood chunks and see how well I could do this on my kettle. Ran the sucker at 330f for 5 hours, pulled when internal hit 194f and wrapped in foil and a towel to rest for an hour before pulling. The results were killer and for large pieces of meat I don't feel like low and slow is the only way to go.
I'm hearing you hooligan, i used to sit next to the smoker religiously the entire cook, maintaining 225 no matter what. Until i was camping one time and had to put a pork on in a hurry. I knew the temp was 300+ but i needed to get it done. I shut the lid and forgot about it. Returned that night to one of the juciest pork i'd ever pulled... made me wonder why i'd bothered fussing over 40degrees all those times...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Good looking pulled pork, brother!
No matter what the external temps are it's all about the internal temps.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree! Like @The Munt said, I used to sit by my smoker keeping it at 225 all day never letting it go 10 degrees up or down. Now I just don't want it to go below 225 or above 325 and I'm not going to sweat it! Haha! My new smoker is much more efficient so the swings are very small, but I let it settle into a good temp and pretty much stays. I cook much hotter than I used, especially on the larger cuts of meat. Internal temp is key. Pork ribs, pork tenderloin and salmon are the only things that I don't want my smoker going over 275ish. Of course cold smoking and smoking cured meats are different too.

Pork looks awesome!

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Looks good and heal your meat before you try it. I generally find the pieces with the harder grisly fat don't render as well, but hey that's what a knife is for. Also resting is fully one of the most important parts. Try adding a dash of a flavorful liquid to your foil rest and the meat will soak it back up during the rest. I also flip it a couple times just to be sure its evenly distributed. Applecider and bourbon anybody? Rootbeer and orange crush? Kinda gives you time to make up for flavors you missed out on rushing the morning stuff. Gotten great results on doing this with tenderloins too. I think some people call it post marinating. Anywho looking darn good and nice pulling!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm hearing you hooligan, i used to sit next to the smoker religiously the entire cook, maintaining 225 no matter what. Until i was camping one time and had to put a pork on in a hurry. I knew the temp was 300+ but i needed to get it done. I shut the lid and forgot about it. Returned that night to one of the juciest pork i'd ever pulled... made me wonder why i'd bothered fussing over 40degrees all those times...
There is no right or wrong way to bbq, but that goes contrary to how I do it.
I will smoke things hot (275 and above) for things that don't have a lot of mass like ribs, or meats that don't have a lot of collagen like pork loin, chicken, and turkey that I'm really just trying to infuse with smoke flavor.
For bigger pieces of meat like brisket and shoulder, I go low (250 and under). The reason being even at a high temp, it's still going to take a while to get the center of the clod up to the target temp. The closer the temperature of the smoker is to the target, the less likely it is to overcook it. If I want the internal temperature of the shoulder to be 195, and I'm smoking at 300, the exterior portion is going to be way above that before the interior is done.
At the end of the day though, the goal is to make something delicious, and if you get that the way you're doing it, good on you .

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nothing smoking today, but wanted to give a heads up to Kansas City area brothers. HyVee has pork butts on sale for 99 cents a lb. I picked up six 9 pounders. Needed to check my deep freeze for space and have room for 1 more so I'll be headed back this weekend. It's been a long time since I've seen them at that price.