What's new

What are you grilling/smoking?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice. I purchased a new grill last weekend. Finally pulled the trigger on a pellet grill after years of not wanting to pet ways with charcoal flavor. Have a few racks in the fridge waiting to be cooked. Going to try the 3-2-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3-2-1 legit NEVER turns out a bad rack. Ive messed with various methods/times/Temps over the years, but if I had only 20 seconds to explain to someone how they should cook ribs...I would always just say 3-2-1.

I tend to either go 3-1-1, or not wrap at all these days. Mostly because my offset gravitates toward 275 degrees, and rather than fight it, I just kinda let it go cruise control and adapt my method around it.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
3-2-1 legit NEVER turns out a bad rack. Ive messed with various methods/times/Temps over the years, but if I had only 20 seconds to explain to someone how they should cook ribs...I would always just say 3-2-1.

I tend to either go 3-1-1, or not wrap at all these days. Mostly because my offset gravitates toward 275 degrees, and rather than fight it, I just kinda let it go cruise control and adapt my method around it.
This is true. I actually tend to go about 3-1.5-1. When I wrap, I put a bunch of butter (margarine), brown sugar, and honey on both sides of the rack. I wrap them with the meat side down, seems to be successful. Before the wrap and after the wrap, they are bone side down.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice. I purchased a new grill last weekend. Finally pulled the trigger on a pellet grill after years of not wanting to pet ways with charcoal flavor. Have a few racks in the fridge waiting to be cooked. Going to try the 3-2-1.

I love my offset log burner, but the pellets are so convenient. I also use a pellet tube, sometimes 2, in there, so it gets more smoke. Everyone claims the pellet grill provides enough smoke, and it really does, but if you’re used to more, I’d recommend a pellet tube or two. Just adds more of what you want. Even without, I have created lots of damn good bbq in the pellet smoker.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love my offset log burner, but the pellets are so convenient. I also use a pellet tube, sometimes 2, in there, so it gets more smoke. Everyone claims the pellet grill provides enough smoke, and it really does, but if you’re used to more, I’d recommend a pellet tube or two. Just adds more of what you want. Even without, I have created lots of damn good bbq in the pellet smoker.
I ordered one of the tubes the other day! I personally like a solid smoke flavor. I did a tenderloin the other day and was shocked by how good it was! I’m excited about trying the ribs out. Also went ahead and purchased a vacuum sealer. Although the bags are too small to fit a whole rack. I need to find some larger bags. Quick question- using 3-2-1 you base it with bbq and cook it for a whole hour? That just scares me a little. I feel like that is a long time for that bbq to be on it.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I ordered one of the tubes the other day! I personally like a solid smoke flavor. I did a tenderloin the other day and was shocked by how good it was! I’m excited about trying the ribs out. Also went ahead and purchased a vacuum sealer. Although the bags are too small to fit a whole rack. I need to find some larger bags. Quick question- using 3-2-1 you base it with bbq and cook it for a whole hour? That just scares me a little. I feel like that is a long time for that bbq to be on it.

Do you mean the last hour of the cook after unwrapping? If the heat is at 225-250 the whole time, it will be good. After the fist five hours, with the ribs wrapped for hours 4 and 5, they will basically be done when you unwrap them. That last hour just kinda helps firm up the texture. It is crucial, though, to keep the heat around 225-250 for the entire six hour cook (5-1/2 for me), or else you might end up with some dried out meat.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Do you mean the last hour of the cook after unwrapping? If the heat is at 225-250 the whole time, it will be good. After the fist five hours, with the ribs wrapped for hours 4 and 5, they will basically be done when you unwrap them. That last hour just kinda helps firm up the texture. It is crucial, though, to keep the heat around 225-250 for the entire six hour cook (5-1/2 for me), or else you might end up with some dried out meat.
Cool! Thanks for the tips! I am going to try it out tomorrow! I’ll share pics!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
OK...you slow cooking guys got me curious...what is that 3-2-1?
As of now I have only grilled or baste...but eyeing a Traeger
3 hours on the grill without foil
2hours on the grill wrapped in foil
1 hour on the grill without foil basted in bbq
225 degrees for the entire cook

I decided on the pit boss over the treager. It does great at half the price!

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
3 hours on the grill without foil
2hours on the grill wrapped in foil
1 hour on the grill without foil basted in bbq
225 degrees for the entire cook

I decided on the pit boss over the treager. It does great at half the price!

I have a Pit Boss vertical. I won mine on a radio contest, believe it or not :LOL:
Forgot to mention, for that last hour I don’t do BBQ sauce, just the peach preserves. I don’t actually use BBQ sauce at all. At the beginning, I put a light coat of yellow mustard, and then the pork rub. Honey, brown sugar, and margarine in the foil. For the last hour, BBQ sauce would probably be good too, I’d just rather add some kind of fruit at that point. Apple jelly is also really good for that hour, if you can find any. Peach is better, IMO. While uncovered, I spritz every half hour with 2 parts Apple juice, 1 part white wine vinegar. Sometimes I pour a shot of bourbon in the spritz, too, after pouring one down my gullet. I don’t spritz in the first hour... but after that every half hour or so.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not much for ribs...I'm thinking skirt steak or tri-tip steak...no bbq sauce neither...garlic cilantro butter
Never done a tri-tip, but always wanted to. For skirt, direct grilling over screaming hot mesquite coals to medium/medium rare is always my preference. :D

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am loving this rib talk. :D

@zcziggy and for those that don't have smokers of any fashion, you can also turn out great ribs on a plain charcoal grill in just a couple hours...here's a tutorial I did a while back:

https://www.botl.org/threads/indirect-grilled-ribs-tutorial.97311/

All that said, getcha a smoker if you can. :cool:
I use a cheaper combo grill/smoker. I find the snake method works well. I keep the meat just slightly rear of center and it turns out decent.