What's new

What Coffees Are You Drinking?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, a lot of the bags I get are 10-12oz and not a full 16oz pound, so don't give me too much credit lol.

I don't exactly know how many ounces I drink. I weigh both my water and coffee and use about a 16:1 ratio.

My typical morning is 800g of water and 50g of coffee. So I did some math, which is taxing on me lol, and a 10oz (284g) bag lasts me about 5 days and a 12oz (340g) bag about 6 days . Sometimes during the week I make a little less - like 750g in the morning.

I have a subscription through Trade Coffee, and I am really enjoying what they have been sending. I also like to fill in with coffees from Eastaza Coffee. A young guy I know from cigar forums in East LA is involved, and they are getting some good coffees from the Americas imho...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, a lot of the bags I get are 10-12oz and not a full 16oz pound, so don't give me too much credit lol.

I don't exactly know how many ounces I drink. I weigh both my water and coffee and use about a 16:1 ratio.

My typical morning is 800g of water and 50g of coffee. So I did some math, which is taxing on me lol, and a 10oz (284g) bag lasts me about 5 days and a 12oz (340g) bag about 6 days . Sometimes during the week I make a little less - like 750g in the morning.

I have a subscription through Trade Coffee, and I am really enjoying what they have been sending. I also like to fill in with coffees from Eastaza Coffee. A young guy I know from cigar forums in East LA is involved, and they are getting some good coffees from the Americas imho...
I haven't started weighing mine yet. I make cold brew for a drinkable cup instead of concentrate. So, I use about 1/2 to 5/8 cup of coffee grounds to 7 or 8 cups of water. It gets me in the neighborhood of the ratio you want after brewing and diluting.

I finally gave in last night and ordered some coffee from Fresh Roast Coffee LLC. I've got a bag of medium dark roast Brazil Cerrado and a blend named Montezuma's Sunrise. It is a breakfast blend of Central American beans.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, the Brazilian is something isn't bad. The quality is maybe a little above Gevalia brand, but slightly below Volcanica. Which means nothing to most people. It didn't have much depth to the flavor and had more body than I wanted. I may try it on an 8 hour brew and see if that helps.

i gave my in-laws some Gevalia Guatemalan Reserve. When my father-in-law found out what it was he asked my mother-in-law, "why have you been serving me that other crap for thirty years?" Apparently he isn't a Folgers fan after all.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm skipping on ordering from Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC again. I ended up having to mix the two coffees together to get something serviceable.

The Brazilian coffee was too heavy and one dimensional with a smokey almost burnt taste. The Montezuma Sunrise was super light in body and had an acidic bite I didn't care for when used in cold brew. The flavors were good, but they were easily lost with cream.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Honey Processed Honduras is pretty darn good. It is a lighter roast and most definitely a summer coffee. It has nice caramel aroma and a bit of citrus after taste.

I may look to see if anyone sells a medium roast version.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find that I keep making mixes of the single origin coffees I order. Besides the Guatemalan stuff I've ordered, single origin doesn't seem to have enough depth and breadth. I'm still pretty new and it may just be the companies I've ordered from.

I'm also learning that I tend to enjoy the bottom of the cup when drinking cold brew coffee. It seems like a lot of the oils and flavors settle to the bottom. So, when the cup is about 2/3 empty I'll tilt it and swirl the drink. That almost always makes it pop with flavor.

One more random thought. Bali Blue Moon coffee actually goes really well with cigars. The one I'm drinking has a hint of vanilla note, but it has a deep nutty note and dry cocoa.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find that I keep making mixes of the single origin coffees I order. Besides the Guatemalan stuff I've ordered, single origin doesn't seem to have enough depth and breadth. I'm still pretty new and it may just be the companies I've ordered from.

I'm also learning that I tend to enjoy the bottom of the cup when drinking cold brew coffee. It seems like a lot of the oils and flavors settle to the bottom. So, when the cup is about 2/3 empty I'll tilt it and swirl the drink. That almost always makes it pop with flavor.

One more random thought. Bali Blue Moon coffee actually goes really well with cigars. The one I'm drinking has a hint of vanilla note, but it has a deep nutty note and dry cocoa.
I haven't messed with cold brew at all, so I don't know about the settling- sounds interesting.

I am by no means any kind of expert, just a guy who likes coffee, but to me if you are ordering from places where they don't just say "Guatemala" but they identify the particular farm, co-op, or batch and it is freshly roasted, you shold be getting some good coffees. Maybe it is in the brewing? Or maybe your palate just likes the blends more? Hell, I don't know - as long as you enjoy what you are drinking it is all good!