What's new

What's for dinner?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it my imagination, or do you have coleslaw a lot?
We have coleslaw a lot. I love cabbage, raw, boiled or steamed. Last night we were talking about seeking out some slaw recipes that don't use mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is great stuff but we should really back off a little. There is a Salvadorian restaurant near work, that has a slaw I really like. I looked at some recipes for cabbage rolls a while back, but never pulled the trigger. My mom used to can homemade kraut. Cabbage seems to keep better than lettuce or spinach, and isn't as hard to find some good in the dead of winter (January and February). We only buy a head at a time, but when cabbage comes in on the mountain, you can get a bag, waist tall like a big feed bag, for next to nothing. Oh and it actually works to help a tossed salad.

Dang, I sound like Bubba Gump on cabbage.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
No worries, I like cabbage too. Cabbage fried with bacon is killer. So is my grandmother's cabbage rolls.
My mother makes an awesome spicy vinegar based slaw. I put it on pulled pork, but it's good just by itself. I could get you the recipe if you want.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No worries, I like cabbage too. Cabbage fried with bacon is killer. So is my grandmother's cabbage rolls.
My mother makes an awesome spicy vinegar based slaw. I put it on pulled pork, but it's good just by itself. I could get you the recipe if you want.
Sounds great. In North Carolina, places that have Lexington style pulled pork (spicy, peppery vinegar based sauce), generally have a bbq slaw. I think they use some of the same rub they put on the pig, in the slaw with vinegar. Yes, I'd love to see the recipe, thanks. What does your grandmother put in her cabbage rolls? I'm not really asking for her recipe, even though I'd love to read it, but what is the basic stuff inside.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Here you go:

Several years ago my aunt collected recipes from everybody and put them in a cookbook. Mom's slaw isn't in there, but I'll talk to her this week and get it for you.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Several years ago my aunt collected recipes from everybody and put them in a cookbook. Mom's slaw isn't in there, but I'll talk to her this week and get it for you.
Thank you so much. Great idea your aunt had. With the passing of every generation, some knowledge and experience gets lost. Recipes/dishes are a great way to remember certain people.

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very jealous here. Not only are reds one of the hardest fighting fish on medium to light tackle but are also one of the best tasting IMHO.
I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast fishing often and still spend lots of my spare time fishing Matagorda. This summer I took up kayak fishing for the adventure and exercise. It is a blast to hook up with a good red in the yak. I am looking forward to catching some big, fat sow trout this winter!
Here's a shot of my father in law with some reds.

We paddled across the old Colorado River and portaged our boats across a little piece of land to West Matagorda Bay. It was super windy that day, but we still had fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Since the Mrs and I have been settled down with a mortgage and a couple of kids and we can't afford to travel on the one wage we have theme nights. So we pick a country or province and cook legitimate food from the region. Wine and dine and even make a Spotify playlist from the country.

Tonight I'm taking Mel to Tuscany, so for starters we have Asiago Dip with Crostini. A nice young Sangiovese to start for a smooth pairing.
image.jpeg
I'll keep you up to date with the other two courses. You guys should try some time it's a great experience and a nice way to impress the Mrs!

Second course, Cannelloni Al Brodo, where is the sauce you ask? Another westernised myth, in Tuscany a lot of the time they make Cannelloni from Proscuitto, Mortadella, Italian Sausage and Parmiagano (hell of a mince) and just top it with Parmesan. Went for a Super Tuscan with the main for a bit more body to get the senses ready for dessert, and the night is just getting better!

And the red wine flows... A perfect end to a perfect evening (I don't do dessert, prefer a good smoke) for the Mrs. SCHIACCIATA FIORENTINA in the shape of yep you guessed it. The point icing on the literal cake!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since the Mrs and I have been settled down with a mortgage and a couple of kids and we can't afford to travel on the one wage we have theme nights. So we pick a country or province and cook legitimate food from the region. Wine and dine and even make a Spotify playlist from the country.

Tonight I'm taking Mel to Tuscany, so for starters we have Asiago Dip with Crostini. A nice young Sangiovese to start for a smooth pairing.
View attachment 74113
I'll keep you up to date with the other two courses. You guys should try some time it's a great experience and a nice way to impress the Mrs!
Great idea, Dan. I know this must rack up points with the Mrs. My wife has said more than once I look sexy wearing an apron.
That looks great. Looking forward to seeing more of your travels.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
We have coleslaw a lot. I love cabbage, raw, boiled or steamed. Last night we were talking about seeking out some slaw recipes that don't use mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is great stuff but we should really back off a little. There is a Salvadorian restaurant near work, that has a slaw I really like. I looked at some recipes for cabbage rolls a while back, but never pulled the trigger. My mom used to can homemade kraut. Cabbage seems to keep better than lettuce or spinach, and isn't as hard to find some good in the dead of winter (January and February). We only buy a head at a time, but when cabbage comes in on the mountain, you can get a bag, waist tall like a big feed bag, for next to nothing. Oh and it actually works to help a tossed salad.

Dang, I sound like Bubba Gump on cabbage.
If you haven't try smoking your cabbage