What's new

whats on your grill today?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Well boys, I done messed up. Tripped and fell down another slope. Talked the wife into getting us a Kamado Joe Classic II as a vasectomy present . I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. I've always loved grilling, but have only ever owned those tiny, cheap Weber grills which I always just throw away whenever I move. Haven't had a grill in 5 years. I'm so excited to take delivery of this thing and have a delicious smokey summer!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You going to wrap them in alumiium foil with some apple juice and honey or brn sugar for a while?
Well, as I said I have never in my life done ribs before, and given the multitude of "right way" to do ribs, I figured I'd start with the one with the fewest variables. Dry rub, no wrap, 250° until the bend test.
This is my building point. I'm happy with the bark, but thought they were a touch on the dry side although still fairly tender. I don't like rib mush, and I'd prefer this to wrapped and mushy. That said, my next batch I will wrap, although without juice. Not sure if I'll try 3-1-1 or 2-2-1. Looking forward to the experimentation! I'm amazed at how rock solid the temperature control is on this grill. Such a different world from the crappy little Weber I used to buy every year. The best is that my son LOVED the ribs. Said it was 10,000 mega super gigantic thumbs up!
61300881892__36FA0E5A-6554-452C-9F53-CB8E4ACAAD7B.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After removing them from the wrap I throw my ribs back on a hot grill to firm them up a bit and put a bit of char on the outside. A lot of people that are not fans of sweet ribs will use a bit of bourbon and water as their liquid or just use the apple juice and hold the sugar. I'm a big fan of fall off the bone ribs with just a touch of sweetness and char.

3 - 2- 1 is a good guide but I prefer to let the ribs tell me when they are done. Pull back - they go into the wrap Desired tenderness they come out of the foil char and rub set serve them up.

Looks like you have at least one happy customer.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After removing them from the wrap I throw my ribs back on a hot grill to firm them up a bit and put a bit of char on the outside. A lot of people that are not fans of sweet ribs will use a bit of bourbon and water as their liquid or just use the apple juice and hold the sugar. I'm a big fan of fall off the bone ribs with just a touch of sweetness and char.

3 - 2- 1 is a good guide but I prefer to let the ribs tell me when they are done. Pull back - they go into the wrap Desired tenderness they come out of the foil char and rub set serve them up.

Looks like you have at least one happy customer.
100% agree with all of this. I started out with 3-2-1 way back when. It will pretty much always get you a rack of ribs that pleases the crowd. It honestly does overcook them IMO, but aside from BBQ comp judges, professional pitmasters, and hard-core hobbyists...nobody will be the wiser, and your buddies/neighbors will rave about how its falling off the bone tender. I've been doing 2-1-1 a lot lately (at my pit's favorite temp of 275), or even 4 hours naked at a higher temp (300ish). I've been shooting for "competition doneness" and can usually dial it in pretty well at this point. But ribs, especially pork ribs, are my wheelhouse (more because they are one of the easiest cuts to cook well, not because of me :ROFLMAO:). Brisket on the other hand...still learning...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Texican

Yea, a Texan that claims he doesn't know how to cook brisket? Do you separate the point from the flat?

I cook he whole brisket until I can feel the fat layer between the point and the flat start to give a bit. A sharp knife will cleanly separate the two. The point gets cut up for burnt ends.

Another thing is just how much disagreement there is about how much of the fat cap to trim. A lot of very good cooks do no trim at all, removing the fat cap after cooking, says it makes the meat juicier I'm a big fan of 1/4 inch trim so that when I slice the flat for serving there is a nice char/rub line on the thin strip of fat.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Texican

Yea, a Texan that claims he doesn't know how to cook brisket? Do you separate the point from the flat?

I cook he whole brisket until I can feel the fat layer between the point and the flat start to give a bit. A sharp knife will cleanly separate the two. The point gets cut up for burnt ends.

Another thing is just how much disagreement there is about how much of the fat cap to trim. A lot of very good cooks do no trim at all, removing the fat cap after cooking, says it makes the meat juicier I'm a big fan of 1/4 inch trim so that when I slice the flat for serving there is a nice char/rub line on the thin strip of fat.
Hehehe, oh I won't even pretend to be a good brisket cook...yet. I actually haven't done many. Been making beef ribs/pork ribs/chicken/everything else for close to 20 years, but rarely brisket. I will say the last two that I did have been solidly decent.

I trim down to around 1/4", like you mentioned. Otherwise you just don't get that good bark. I haven't tried separating it yet. I usually smoke it at 275 until it stalls, then wrap in butcher paper for the rest of the cook. Will usually start probing at around 200 degrees. Once done, cooler that puppy for at least a couple hours.

Brisket is on my list of foods I want to master, as is crawfish. I want to learn to do a legit boil. That is one of my favorite things to eat. Had it about 5 times this season and could still go for more.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Texican You come to SELA, we'll show you how to boil crawfish.

I cook brisket the same way if I want to leave it whole. The long rest in the ice chest used to be a secret, now you've told everyone!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Texican You come to SELA, we'll show you how to boil crawfish.
It's been many a year. Used to go to L'Auberge and Coushatta almost on a monthly basis to play craps back before we had our little man. The places we ate at were just random stops along the way (I still miss the softshell crab from Steamboat Bills), I can only imagine how good a backyard boil would be around your parts. Y'all do some magical things with food around there. I still struggle to think of a better combo than some boudin, saltines,and Tabasco with a cold beer. Course that would just be an appetizer for a good 10lbs of crawfish to follow. Not to mention some redfish...damn now I'm hungry...