What's new

whats on your grill today?

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
ribs this weekend
only 2nd time I have ever done them on a ghetto smoker!
(plugged up the grill with tinfoil and offset Heat w appllewood chips)
3-2-1
st Louis ribs were just dry rub and perfect
BB were wet and WAY over!
my son said
BB were like rib bacon!
and the St Louis were the best he has ever had!!

6FE509CA-7922-4249-AC9F-50F7D10535DF.jpegF30628C6-120F-490F-B664-D5B917BE395D.jpeg

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hehehe, oh I won't even pretend to be a good brisket cook...yet. I actually haven't done many. Been making beef ribs/pork ribs/chicken/everything else for close to 20 years, but rarely brisket. I will say the last two that I did have been solidly decent.

I trim down to around 1/4", like you mentioned. Otherwise you just don't get that good bark. I haven't tried separating it yet. I usually smoke it at 275 until it stalls, then wrap in butcher paper for the rest of the cook. Will usually start probing at around 200 degrees. Once done, cooler that puppy for at least a couple hours.

Brisket is on my list of foods I want to master, as is crawfish. I want to learn to do a legit boil. That is one of my favorite things to eat. Had it about 5 times this season and could still go for more.
I'm throwing on my first brisket tomorrow morning! Going to go salt/pepper/celery seed rub, 250°. Once I get the bark set, I'll wrap in foil. Once the flat is probe tender, I'll separate the point for burnt ends and throw the flat in the cooler. Wish me luck! Tonight is Cornell chicken.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm throwing on my first brisket tomorrow morning! Going to go salt/pepper/celery seed rub, 250°. Once I get the bark set, I'll wrap in foil. Once the flat is probe tender, I'll separate the point for burnt ends and throw the flat in the cooler. Wish me luck! Tonight is Cornell chicken.

You got this!! Your method sounds solid. Only advice I'll give is to just let it cook until it is tender...don't worry too too much about internal temp. Could be tender at 199, or it could need to go to 210 or even a bit higher. I have always wanted to try Cornell chicken!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You got this!! Your method sounds solid. Only advice I'll give is to just let it cook until it is tender...don't worry too too much about internal temp. Could be tender at 199, or it could need to go to 210 or even a bit higher. I have always wanted to try Cornell chicken!
Yeah, I'm not too worried about internal temp. One of the first things that really stuck with me in my prep for this cook is that the brisket is the boss. I'll definitely monitor temperature, so I can learn what's happening at different stages, but it doesn't get the cooler until it's probe tender.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, I'm not too worried about internal temp. One of the first things that really stuck with me in my prep for this cook is that the brisket is the boss. I'll definitely monitor temperature, so I can learn what's happening at different stages, but it doesn't get the cooler until it's probe tender.
Bet that turns out great! What kind of setup are you using?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just got a Kamado Joe classic II. Cooked in it every single night since getting it. (tonight is dinner #7)
Oh hell yeah! Those are nice. What kind of wood are you using?

Damn, the price of pork and beef right now, I'm eating a lot of chicken and salad.
Don't I know it. The plate ribs I cooked up a couple weekends ago were 35 bucks. Was painful but it had been ages so I splurged. Im eating mostly chicken/fish...in addition to it being much cheaper i am trying to lose some poundage.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Right now I've got a big bag of apple, ordered some Texas post oak. Using jealous devil lump. Also Costco had a special of Kamado Joe Big Block, $1/lb if you buy 4 bags, so that'll be in rotation after this 35lb bag is gone. It'll be interesting to see how long 80lbs of lump will last me.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Right now I've got a big bag of apple, ordered some Texas post oak. Using jealous devil lump. Also Costco had a special of Kamado Joe Big Block, $1/lb if you buy 4 bags, so that'll be in rotation after this 35lb bag is gone. It'll be interesting to see how long 80lbs of lump will last me.
Nice! I love me some lump. I stock briquettes, but rarely use them unless I just need to grill up a few hot dogs, burgers, etc. Lump just burns so much hotter and longer. An Applewood smoked brisket. I bet that comes out good. Oak is the main wood around here (post oak as you mention is THE wood associated with Texas Hill Country 'cue). I use Red Oak because it is native to my part of thr state and a bit easier to come by. I use it for smoking 100% of the time, with a teeny bit of mesquite to add character. Sometimes a bit of pecan in there as well but not as often.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Uh oh. Wifey gonna be mad. Started the brisket this morning at like 06:00, been holding steady at 225°, been stalled forever. Finally creeping up to 160°, but dinner is gonna be pretty late lol.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Uh oh. Wifey gonna be mad. Started the brisket this morning at like 06:00, been holding steady at 225°, been stalled forever. Finally creeping up to 160°, but dinner is gonna be pretty late lol.
Been there MANY times. Hahaha. Its gotten to the point where I budget 4 more hours than I think I need. Can always cooler the brisket if it finishes early. I would say next time crank that temp a bit. 225 is a bit low IMO. Don't be afraid to go 275. Some folks even go 300+...but thats too hot for me, though there are a ton of people that swear by "hot and fast".

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Been there MANY times. Hahaha. Its gotten to the point where I budget 4 more hours than I think I need. Can always cooler the brisket if it finishes early. I would say next time crank that temp a bit. 225 is a bit low IMO. Don't be afraid to go 275. Some folks even go 300+...but thats too hot for me, though there are a ton of people that swear by "hot and fast".
Yeah, well, live and learn. First time. Next time if I'm going 225° it's going on before bed, rather than getting up at 04:30. Finally got it wrapped up, temp around 190-195°, not quite probe tender. Still thinking I've got another 30-60 minutes, plus time in the cooler. It better taste pretty damn good

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, well, live and learn. First time. Next time if I'm going 225° it's going on before bed, rather than getting up at 04:30. Finally got it wrapped up, temp around 190-195°, not quite probe tender. Still thinking I've got another 30-60 minutes, plus time in the cooler. It better taste pretty damn good
Don't pull it before its probe tender! I've been there before...the wife asking me angrily when it's going to be done...a few degrees can make ALL the difference between a brisket that is like shoe leather or one that is deliciously rendered. You got this! The eyes of Texas are upon you!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Despite the eyes of Texas upon me, I did not cook the World's Greatest Brisket on my first try. It's not bad, but I pulled it too early and it's just ever so slightly toothy. Not quite rubbery, but I needed another half an hour or so. Maybe more. But it still tastes pretty good! Next time I'm going 275°.
IMG_5632.jpg
IMG_5633.jpg
IMG_5641.jpg

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Despite the eyes of Texas upon me, I did not cook the World's Greatest Brisket on my first try. It's not bad, but I pulled it too early and it's just ever so slightly toothy. Not quite rubbery, but I needed another half an hour or so. Maybe more. But it still tastes pretty good! Next time I'm going 275°.
View attachment 150440
View attachment 150441
View attachment 150442
Niiiice!! Man that looks good. Nicely done! Thanks for posting pics. I love talking 'cue.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I don’t eat much salmon But this was awesome
And it's good for the heart!BA49A883-A326-4D08-A5E0-92E0DFD48A44.jpeg
So every now and then I have it
This came out awesome
Salmon
Scored
Fresh Lemon juice
S&P
Mix of Cajun, Blackened and Paprika
Low heat on the grill w wood chips for 25 min!
So good

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I don’t eat much salmon But this was awesome
And it's good for the heart!View attachment 150510
So every now and then I have it
This came out awesome
Salmon
Scored
Fresh Lemon juice
S&P
Mix of Cajun, Blackened and Paprika
Low heat on the grill w wood chips for 25 min!
So good
Love salmon on the grill. I try and do it once a week, but here in the midwest its hard to get good fresh stuff. But right now its cheaper than beef, so bring it on!
I like to cook it skin on, 5 mins on flesh side, then flip and cook about another 10. A little olive oil and some sea salt.
Dangit, now you got me wanting to fire some up!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I did a couple of Beef Short Ribs yesterday for the first time. Flavor was excellent but the meat was a little tougher than I had hoped for. I bought cheap WM white tray ribs and should have known better. Next time I will make sure and start off with quality beef and not freaking cow.