What's new

AR-15 Build Thread

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
PSA has an after Christmas sale going on.. their mil-spec forged lower that normally retails for $119 is currently priced at $39 (sale ends tomorrow)..

I dont really NEED to build another AR...

But at that price couldnt resist.. and bought 2x new lowers.. :D

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html?trk_msg=L9LCM0CFJB34396PSVHJVH632S&trk_contact=MAHEMMTS7VE0G228L7U5601D2O&trk_sid=RLEKQASB68M4GHU3BVCBUGQ8T0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html&utm_campaign=Daily Deal Email&utm_content=5:00 Email
Don't lie to yourself. There is always a need for a new AR! One for distance shooting, precision, pistol... I will come up with an argument for a new any day of the week just to justify the cause. How many calibers do you have? Next up for me is a pistol build in case the gun grabbers push legislation through to ban those. I really want a .300aac, a 6.5 Grendel and creedmore, and just for grins a 458 socom would really be fun to have.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
they are certainly like money in the bank..

If I just put the $39.99 PSA lower in the safe and never touch it you can guarantee it will at a minimum quadruple in value the next time a Dem is in the white house.. prices went nuts in the first 12 months both Clinton and Obama were in office..

Really cant lose.. turn it into a rifle or pistol.. or just sit on it and turn it into money.. its sort of a win-win :)

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
PSA has an after Christmas sale going on.. their mil-spec forged lower that normally retails for $119 is currently priced at $39 (sale ends tomorrow)..

I dont really NEED to build another AR...

But at that price couldnt resist.. and bought 2x new lowers.. :D

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html?trk_msg=L9LCM0CFJB34396PSVHJVH632S&trk_contact=MAHEMMTS7VE0G228L7U5601D2O&trk_sid=RLEKQASB68M4GHU3BVCBUGQ8T0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html&utm_campaign=Daily Deal Email&utm_content=5:00 Email
“Steer clear of the moors......”

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just “finished” my first build.

A849A39F-DA69-446E-86FB-DCD011068876.jpeg

I put finished in quotes because when we went to go zero in the optic, we realized there was an issue with the gas system. Since I bought a full upper, I’m sending it back and having them fix the issue.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I just “finished” my first build.

View attachment 107960

I put finished in quotes because when we went to go zero in the optic, we realized there was an issue with the gas system. Since I bought a full upper, I’m sending it back and having them fix the issue.
What's the issue? What length gas system? Barrel length? Upper manufacturer? Buffer weight? Caliber? Magazine used? It may not need to be sent back.....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's the issue? What length gas system? Barrel length? Upper manufacturer? Buffer weight? Caliber? Magazine used? It may not need to be sent back.....
It's a CBC Industries upper. 16'5" barrel with a carbine length gas system. And trust me, it's getting sent back. The gas block is sliding up and down the barrel. The set screws got free somehow, and they're gone.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's a CBC Industries upper. 16'5" barrel with a carbine length gas system. And trust me, it's getting sent back. The gas block is sliding up and down the barrel. The set screws got free somehow, and they're gone.
Hahaha, Holy shit! Well yeah. I guess so then.... :eek: Don't think I'm familiar with them... Sounds like somebody didn't finish their job....
I thought you were gonna say it was short stroking or failing to lock back on empty........

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've had a few ARs - unfortunately NY state has made a mess out of AR-15 ownership. So while my interest has not waned - my *want* to deal with the state's stupid laws has kept me from going further.

Ran both a 5.56 and a 6.8SPC II - once I get out of here I'll likely be building a 6.5 CM too.

My lowers on both were from a local dealer here who had their own machined / anodized / etc. I love supporting local business and these guys are pretty solid (the 5.56 is running one of their bolts too)

6.8 - AKA my deer gun (or it was)

5.56 - ignore the stock - I had plans to change it - but wanted functional at the time. I've also pulled the A2 rail and it's got a strikefire on it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've had a few ARs - unfortunately NY state has made a mess out of AR-15 ownership. So while my interest has not waned - my *want* to deal with the state's stupid laws has kept me from going further.

Ran both a 5.56 and a 6.8SPC II - once I get out of here I'll likely be building a 6.5 CM too.

My lowers on both were from a local dealer here who had their own machined / anodized / etc. I love supporting local business and these guys are pretty solid (the 5.56 is running one of their bolts too)

6.8 - AKA my deer gun (or it was)

5.56 - ignore the stock - I had plans to change it - but wanted functional at the time. I've also pulled the A2 rail and it's got a strikefire on it.
Was thinking about a 6.8. Any lessons learned? All my other ARs are 556, but want to put one together for deer. Mainly for the kids, since I can adjust size, length, etc easily. Also thought about a 300 BLK, since the place they hunt, the shots are 100 yds or less.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Was thinking about a 6.8. Any lessons learned? All my other ARs are 556, but want to put one together for deer. Mainly for the kids, since I can adjust size, length, etc easily. Also thought about a 300 BLK, since the place they hunt, the shots are 100 yds or less.
It was my second AR - after all of my research I went with barrel / bolt from http://ar15performance.com/
The dude who owns the place really knows his ballistics and I love his barrels (I have a second for an AR I was going to build for my wife - but then ... NY)

I also built it as a bit of a heavier AR - but didn't mind since I don't have miles of walking when out hunting.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Time is now if you ever thought about an AR anything, after events of past week. Guns how in PHX this weekend, sure prices will be higher then December show that to what has been in news.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
There has been some "mini" panic buying over the last few days. I wish my crystal ball worked, but I suspect it will be short lived. There's a lot of bluster out there from the usual suspects, but the news cycle will flip before you know it. Never know for sure, though.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I have been planning a pistol build for a while. Will be starting to order parts for a build tomorrow. Looking like it will be in 9mm due to cost of ammo, was originally leaning towards 300aac, but the market for pistol caliber builds has exploded and it's just making sense

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I have been planning a pistol build for a while. Will be starting to order parts for a build tomorrow. Looking like it will be in 9mm due to cost of ammo, was originally leaning towards 300aac, but the market for pistol caliber builds has exploded and it's just making sense
Wait, do you not have a blackout yet? Definitely need to do both then.... ;)