What's new

Chicago HERF - Dec. 2, 2017

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo! This is shaping up nicely for not a lot of notice. If my responses seem slower than usual, I apologize. Works stuff the last few weeks... :hungover:

Anyways, I'll be calling tomorrow around lunch time with our group size. Of course it's not final, but if anyone else wants to join or can join, let me know thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Gonna make this quickly, at work. I just spoke to Jason. He confirmed our "reservation" got 7-10, Dec 2, 7pm-11pm. He will not be charging us the $100 reservation fee. He also said he tried, but couldn't find anymore UF4s and where :(

As for bringing your own cigar, he said Mike was pretty stern on a $10 cutting fee, even if you buy what you smoke. Choice is yours, but they have a pretty nice humidor.

See you all in a few days for some Hawkey and some smokes!

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hey all! Gonna make this quickly, at work. I just spoke to Jason. He confirmed our "reservation" got 7-10, Dec 2, 7pm-11pm. He will not be charging us the $100 reservation fee. He also said he tried, but couldn't find anymore UF4s and where :(

As for bringing your own cigar, he said Mike was pretty stern on a $10 cutting fee, even if you buy what you smoke. Choice is yours, but they have a pretty nice humidor.

See you all in a few days for some Hawkey and some smokes!
gotta admit, I am not a fan of that . . I completely plan on buying cigars, but I prefer to actually light up ones I would bring . . . dislike that alot

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta admit, I am not a fan of that . . I completely plan on buying cigars, but I prefer to actually light up ones I would bring . . . dislike that alot
I mentioned that as well; That our guys mostly like their own, stored for few months, and would of course buy some that night. Whelp, get all of us together and voice our concern! I wanted to bring a few myself, probably still will.

Mike is the one to talk to, he sets the rules. He seemed like an easy going guy when I met him in person. We'll see what happens!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
thing is... with me, they are losing business. if i could smoke what i bring, by default i would buy 3 or 4 cigars. now that we know there is a cutting fee, i will buy exactly what i will be smoking, which is probably 2 at most.
i get it though... it's their business, their rules. dont like it? then find another place.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll talk about it Saturday and see what they say. Maybe it's temporary or negotiable. Side note: don't be weirded out of I ask you guys if you save your cigar bands when you're done. I collect them and beer bottle tops for a home bartop project hopefully in the next few years. Bad cigar etiquette?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
thing is... with me, they are losing business. if i could smoke what i bring, by default i would buy 3 or 4 cigars. now that we know there is a cutting fee, i will buy exactly what i will be smoking, which is probably 2 at most.
i get it though... it's their business, their rules. dont like it? then find another place.
I've always bought equivalent to what I smoke but I always bring my own because I know that they've been stored properly and at the correct rH. Too many B&M humidors are excessively humidified and that makes for a nasty-ass cigar. I'm still planning on coming because I want to see you guys and meet the newbs but this is definitely a reason to avoid the place in the future.

As you said, it's their right to charge those fees.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
yup

and if I bring my pipe like I was planning to, they gonna charge me $10 per bowl because I'm not smoking from a tin that I buy there? Ridiculous, just saying

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Side note: don't be weirded out of I ask you guys if you save your cigar bands when you're done. I collect them and beer bottle tops for a home bartop project hopefully in the next few years. Bad cigar etiquette?
Personally, i don't think it's bad etiquette at all. I typically save my bands for the same reason, but i don't yet have a project in mind just yet. They are just piling up. However, and this is just me, i feel like whatever you are making will be better if all the bands that you use are from cigars you smoked personally.
@Jfire has his own smoking lounge in his basement, and he asked a long time ago that whatever we smoke, to toss the band into a jar that he has. Not sure if he still cares or what he does with them, but the few times I'm lucky enough to hang out in his lounge, I've been tossing them in there. Kinda the same thing..? :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
yup

and if I bring my pipe like I was planning to, they gonna charge me $10 per bowl because I'm not smoking from a tin that I buy there? Ridiculous, just saying
Exactly the biggest issue I have. . Was planning the same

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At this point, i don't really think we need to. Let's not push the issue. Let's just accept it and enjoy the game and each other's company.... And maybe use a different location for the next herf
Ya I hear ya. The Hawks better show up to play, that's my main concern with Saturday night haha

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I ALWAYS buy at least as many as I smoke, and usually premium NCs, at the B&Ms I smoke at. But if they are going to charge me $10 per cigar I bring, so I will pay $20-30 to smoke 2-3 cigars, (tell me if this makes sense)....then that's my contribution to the B&M, and I won't buy any cigars. Is that bad form under these circumstances?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ALWAYS buy at least as many as I smoke, and usually premium NCs, at the B&Ms I smoke at. But if they are going to charge me $10 per cigar I bring, so I will pay $20-30 to smoke 2-3 cigars, (tell me if this makes sense)....then that's my contribution to the B&M, and I won't buy any cigars. Is that bad form under these circumstances?
Good question. Definitely need some input from a vet here, but I would assume if they're charging us to smoke our own, regardless of if we buy cigars or not, where's the incentive then?

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i get what you are saying, but lets look at the math...

assume an average price of 10$ per cigar (just ffs, regardless of premium or dog rocket)

buying 3 cigars and smoking those same 3 cigars = 30$
bringing your own 3 cigars (30$) + 10$ cutting fee per cigar (30$) = 60$ total.
just because you are bringing your own cigars doesnt mean you arent losing monetary value on them.

but i get it... it might be worth it to bring your own and have a better smoking experience because you know they have been stored to your liking. there are not many B&Ms that have storage conditions to my liking, so i like to take those purchased sticks home to let them acclimate.

the question is... is the difference (increase) in price worth the difference in smoking experience to you?
by "difference in smoking experience", i mean the experience in smoking something directly out of their humi vs something out of your personal humi...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, I don't go to a lot of lounges... Yet. What are other lounges policies on bringing your own cigars? Majority speaking, do they mostly have cutting fees for your own sticks? If so, how much? Do they mostly allow you to smoke your own w/o cutting fee and buy back what you smoke? Etc etc