What's new

Cigar Rolling Equipment for sale

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I
That's the first place I looked. He's out of the 50. When I went back and looked at Amazon it's unavailable too. I bet they are both Jorge.
I have a 50 if you want it. Not worth much, but I'll swap you for a handful of gars.

Scored me a 46 parejo and a 46 fecto from Frutiger, and I think between those two and my Maks, I am set for life. Prolly even get rid of my original fecto mold, if I can just get past the idea of letting go that wonderful cam latch on the end of it. PM me your addy if you want me to pack up my 50rg mold.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I

I have a 50 if you want it. Not worth much, but I'll swap you for a handful of gars.

Scored me a 46 parejo and a 46 fecto from Frutiger, and I think between those two and my Maks, I am set for life. Prolly even get rid of my original fecto mold, if I can just get past the idea of letting go that wonderful cam latch on the end of it. PM me your addy if you want me to pack up my 50rg mold.
If you decide to part with the original perfecto mold, please let me know.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I

Have we seen the Frutiger molds?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have we seen the Frutiger molds?
I thought so. Didn't I post a pic? The two of them fit perfectly in his two-mold cam press, too. Everything fits together -- plump fecto mold, corona mold, press, board, tuck cutter... all one coherent kit. Only thing I haven't investigated yet is his oddball knife. Looks ideal for detail work. I should send it to Rachel as a peace offering. I have a midget chaveta, too, which looks right up her alley for detail work. Can't think of anyone doing more meticulous detail work than her.

Anyone seen her gars up close and personal? You hate to burn 'em. Lotta art in each one.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought so. Didn't I post a pic? The two of them fit perfectly in his two-mold cam press, too. Everything fits together -- plump fecto mold, corona mold, press, board, tuck cutter... all one coherent kit. Only thing I haven't investigated yet is his oddball knife. Looks ideal for detail work. I should send it to Rachel as a peace offering. I have a midget chaveta, too, which looks right up her alley for detail work. Can't think of anyone doing more meticulous detail work than her.

Anyone seen her gars up close and personal? You hate to burn 'em. Lotta art in each one.
Your right. they're a few posts back.. I think we're just waiting patiently on the press and some knives.
I haven't been that close to @ReMi yet myself.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here's the knife I scored from Frutiger:

Not the least bit like the "Cuban knife" as Frutiger calls our chaveta. Small, steel as thin and flexible as a razor blade, with a stiffening spine for you to press your forefinger on halfway along it's length, and a handle small as a paring knife. You'd have to figure it's made to fit a girl's hand. I immediately thought of ReMix and her delicate work when I saw this.

I'll have to soak it in vinegar, then rub it, and probably blue it ... I could use a lemon, but I also have some rifle blueing. Then I'll hone the edge. Appears to be the type of steel that would take a shaving edge.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here's Frutiger's two-mold press:

A simple cam action. Press down on the big handle & that's it. You see two mold in it now ... one is his corona mold and the other is his plump perfecto mold. The press is adjusted exactly for them. I cleaned a load of mud off this press, but it could still stand some Marvel Mystery Oil, as well as a base to bolt it to.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice webmost! stylish press. A lot of carbon in those blades. brittle but, will get like a razor. I like mineral oil to clean that stuff up.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well this knife cleaned up pretty nice. Turned out I had a bottle of blue remover, so I used that to loosen the old rust. Cleaned it up with some super fine steel wool. Hit it with some new rifle blue. I prefer a lemon for the patterns it produces; but this works way quicker. Makes a blacker finish that protects. Couple strokes on a fine stone is all it took to whet the edge. A genuine shaving edge I tested on my arm hairs... works. In fact, I just now picked one of my hairs off it. Real pleased with this trinket.

I'm thinking now that all it really needs is an end grain cutting block, so that it can stay sharp. Rachel, do you have an end grain cutting block? If not, I have a real pretty one here you can try out if you want.

Always fun to bring old steel back to life.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well this knife cleaned up pretty nice. Turned out I had a bottle of blue remover, so I used that to loosen the old rust. Cleaned it up with some super fine steel wool. Hit it with some new rifle blue. I prefer a lemon for the patterns it produces; but this works way quicker. Makes a blacker finish that protects. Couple strokes on a fine stone is all it took to whet the edge. A genuine shaving edge I tested on my arm hairs... works. In fact, I just now picked one of my hairs off it. Real pleased with this trinket.

I'm thinking now that all it really needs is an end grain cutting block, so that it can stay sharp. Rachel, do you have an end grain cutting block? If not, I have a real pretty one here you can try out if you want.

Always fun to bring old steel back to life.
That's real impressive work. I don't know what any of the words you said mean but I can see what you did to that knife.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
... I don't know what any of the words you said mean ...
I can't guess what words might baffle, other than blue; and that's easily explained.

We used to ride the big beemer to a B&B in Tidioute PA every Fourth of July to attend the Battle on Bull Mountain at Hickory Creek Ranch. The little town holds a 4th of July parade literally a block and a half long (unless the fire truck gets called away, as happened one year right before the parade, in which case a block will do). A gal on a horse holding a flag, a Model T, the PBR rodeo clown in his go-kart, about a dozen fellers in Civil War garb calling themselves Buffalo Soldiers (I dunno why, cause they're all white), and the fire truck long's someone didn't light up his trailer in the woods playing with fireworks. So. One year workers from the Queen Knife factory in Titusville (birthplace of the oil well) set up a card table in front of the Ace Hardware & sold me one of these:

Of course, when it was brand new, this high carbon steel knife was shiny. Naked high carbon steel rusts quickly. So what I did, I walked into the grocery next door and bought a lemon. Stuck the knife in my lemon, under the approving nods of the factory guys, for as long as it took for the parade to pass, then folded it up & let the lemon juice do its work. Not a chemist; don't even play one on TV; just know lemon colors your steel a midnight blue that prevents rust. It's called blueing your steel. I took a high carbon kitchen knife like this Old Hickory to sea:

Blued it before I used it. Took and Old Timer pocket knife like this one, back in the days before they made them stainless:

Used it up until there was only a sliver left. Always at my waist in a leather holster on a fathom of line. Dove with it, rigged with it, never rusted. The advantage of high carbon is you can get a super sharp edge. Disadvantage is rust. Easily cured by blueing.

Ever get yourself a new rifle? Well, they ordinarily blue the livin hell outta those barrels so's they're jet black. Done right, you can get an irridescent effect. Stop at any sporting goods store, they'll sell you a bottle of chemicals to do this. Turns out they also sell you a bottle of blue remover, in case you want to renew your blue. Happened to have one such.

That explain your puzzle?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How does an end grain cutting block keep your lemon blued blade sharp?
Think microscopically.

end grain: Your sharp edge slips between fibers sticking up. Produces a scissors sort of action.

cross grain: Your sharp edge first cuts your leaf then tries to cut the fibers of your cutting board. Makes more work.

marble, tile, glass, metal: Your sharp edge gets bent over when pushed into a hard surface. Makes a dull edge.

That's why chefs & butchers who cut all day long use a butcher block, with the grain pointing upward. Easy on the tool, quick operation.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Think microscopically.

end grain: Your sharp edge slips between fibers sticking up. Produces a scissors sort of action.

cross grain: Your sharp edge first cuts your leaf then tries to cut the fibers of your cutting board. Makes more work.

marble, tile, glass, metal: Your sharp edge gets bent over when pushed into a hard surface. Makes a dull edge.

That's why chefs & butchers who cut all day long use a butcher block, with the grain pointing upward. Easy on the tool, quick operation.
Got it, thanks for the explanations.