What's new

#ECB Newb Appreciation Month

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BOTL to me is a multifaceted resource. I've been registered for a while now but haven't been posting very often. I have always found info i was looking for without needing to post, as i learn a bit more i hope to be able to contribute to the conversations better. It's a community of like minded people that appreciate some of the finer things in life. I found this forum through another great community over at Homebrewtalk.com where I am much more active. There seems to be many parallels between the two groups. We appreciate hand crafted quality in what we enjoy, we are passionate and opinionated about it without being off putting or rude to those that wish to learn. I am inspired by the generosity of the brothers here with things like Operation Estelli and the eagerness to help new folks out. I look forward to being a part of the community for years to come.

Cheers,

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
well, now that we're back on topic, i think this is a great idea. I have a humi stuffed to the gills w/ a ton of sticks so I won't throw my hat into the ring, but kudos to you guys for doing the thing. I am always all about doing the thing :)

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
BOTL to me is a multifaceted resource. I've been registered for a while now but haven't been posting very often. I have always found info i was looking for without needing to post, as i learn a bit more i hope to be able to contribute to the conversations better. It's a community of like minded people that appreciate some of the finer things in life. I found this forum through another great community over at Homebrewtalk.com where I am much more active. There seems to be many parallels between the two groups. We appreciate hand crafted quality in what we enjoy, we are passionate and opinionated about it without being off putting or rude to those that wish to learn. I am inspired by the generosity of the brothers here with things like Operation Estelli and the eagerness to help new folks out. I look forward to being a part of the community for years to come.

Cheers,
HBT was the catalyst to my cigar hobby. :waving:

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2

Cheers,
Entered

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm fairly new here, and I don't post that often. Not really my style, I'm more of sit back and listen/learn kind of guy. I really can't understand how a group of guys looking to help some newbies could be interpreted negatively in any way. I generally stay away from internet forums because I get sick of the bickering and BS between guys who are supposed to share the same interests, it's just always bothered me. When I started lurking on BOTL it became very obvious to me that the group of guys were different. The first day I signed up I was immediately told about a contest for newbies as part of Operation Esteli and I quickly donated to the cause. I was reading just the other day how a guy expecting a newborn got bombed some baby clothes, awesome in my book! I got involved in the newbie trade sampler and had an awesome experience with that as well. So after just a few weeks of being a member here I've witnessed some pretty generous acts that truthfully make me proud to be a part of BOTL. So while I don't know squat about #ECB what I would say to them is keep it up, because there right we have all been a newbie in one way or another at some point in time. My .02 cents
THIS ^^^ is what BOTL is all about.....

Mike, Wrench is entered?
I've got a wineador coming and some sticks to fill it. Wasn't trying to enter the contest, I was trying to prove a point and get the thread back on track.

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
I'm fairly new here, and I don't post that often. Not really my style, I'm more of sit back and listen/learn kind of guy. I really can't understand how a group of guys looking to help some newbies could be interpreted negatively in any way. I generally stay away from internet forums because I get sick of the bickering and BS between guys who are supposed to share the same interests, it's just always bothered me. When I started lurking on BOTL it became very obvious to me that the group of guys were different. The first day I signed up I was immediately told about a contest for newbies as part of Operation Esteli and I quickly donated to the cause. I was reading just the other day how a guy expecting a newborn got bombed some baby clothes, awesome in my book! I got involved in the newbie trade sampler and had an awesome experience with that as well. So after just a few weeks of being a member here I've witnessed some pretty generous acts that truthfully make me proud to be a part of BOTL. So while I don't know squat about #ECB what I would say to them is keep it up, because there right we have all been a newbie in one way or another at some point in time. My .02 cents
THIS ^^^ is what BOTL is all about.....

Mike, Wrench is entered?
I've got a wineador coming and some sticks to fill it. Wasn't trying to enter the contest, I was trying to prove a point and get the thread back on track.
Well if you don't need the humi, we can always just send sticks.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
ROFL, I was just thinking, this is probably the best-hidden recruitment drive I've seen in a long time....Rope em in with a humi and a few sticks, a few months down the road you're handing out grape flavoured koolaid from a large container...
Somebody get me this guys addy.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This is exactly my 6th month. Within these six months I have learned more than I did the whole year I spent smoking whatever cheapie I could afford to buy. Initially I made my account, and contemplated whether I would actually post or not. I just didn't know whether I would be welcomed, or accepted. So I made my intro, I did my newb trade with speedy, my pipe trade with java, and slowly began posting where I thought I could. There were threads upon threads that I would skip over because I thought there was nothing I could contribute to them, so I spent a lot of time reading older threads, and researching things. Needless to say, I learned a lot. I bought a lot less yardgars, and would buy some of the sticks I saw posted in the "today's smoke" thread if I could afford em, and wow even just 2 extra bucks can make make a world of difference. After a couple months I decided to stay, because this is a good place with good people. Yea sure, there are times when some people argue, or bump heads on certain matters. The beginning of this thread being a good example, but that doesn't mean shit. Yes, we're brothers, but we're also human, and each of us has our own views/opinions on things, so expecting everything to be perfect would be silly. Here I am 6 months in, and I can say without a doubt that this will be my home. You guys have taught me me a lot directly, and Indirectly, and for that I am grateful. People will come and go, but you guys will still be brothers to me.

#botlappreciation

Now I need to take my ass to bed

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
This is exactly my 6th month. Within these six months I have learned more than I did the whole year I spent smoking whatever cheapie I could afford to buy. Initially I made my account, and contemplated whether I would actually post or not. I just didn't know whether I would be welcomed, or accepted. So I made my intro, I did my newb trade with speedy, my pipe trade with java, and slowly began posting where I thought I could. There were threads upon threads that I would skip over because I thought there was nothing I could contribute to them, so I spent a lot of time reading older threads, and researching things. Needless to say, I learned a lot. I bought a lot less yardgars, and would buy some of the sticks I saw posted in the "today's smoke" thread if I could afford em, and wow even just 2 extra bucks can make make a world of difference. After a couple months I decided to stay, because this is a good place with good people. Yea sure, there are times when some people argue, or bump heads on certain matters. The beginning of this thread being a good example, but that doesn't mean shit. Yes, we're brothers, but we're also human, and each of us has our own views/opinions on things, so expecting everything to be perfect would be silly. Here I am 6 months in, and I can say without a doubt that this will be my home. You guys have taught me me a lot directly, and Indirectly, and for that I am grateful. People will come and go, but you guys will still be brothers to me.

#botlappreciation

Entered

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0

#botlappreciation

and great job on the newbie operation esteli contest!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Cheers,
Cheers from a fellow homebrewer/beeradvocate and new BOTL. I see the parallels between the craft beer community and the brothers of the leaf for sure.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0

Cheers,
Cheers from a fellow homebrewer/beeradvocate and new BOTL. I see the parallels between the craft beer community and the brothers of the leaf for sure.
Very much so. I've been smoking cigars for about the last 10 years on a rare occasion. About 4 years ago a fellow homebrewer introduced me to a long filler handmade cigar and I loved it. It was the HBT forum that led me to online cigar buying and then all downhill from there....

My experience in beer trades made the transition to cigar trades pretty easy. But... I've mostly stuck with beer trades. I don't have cigars people are seeking.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I just joined 3 days ago because I started following a bunch of guys on Instagram that were about cigars because I have been doing a lot of research so I can eventually make my first habano purchase and not buy some fakes and I kept seeing the hash tag #botl. Quick google search and I'm hooked. Did some snoopin around and I noticed its a lot like the craft beer community and homebrew community where the experienced guys help the newbies and even help each other out and in trades throw in extras. I have been just shipped beers from guys who wanted me to try something I have never had before. I've shipped others beers even expensive ones because they were the new guy wanting to try something hard to get and don't have anything good themselves to put up for it. That's what it's all about. Newbies are going to do annoying things and post newb questions but it's all about education and being part of something bigger. I don't need a Humi since I have a nice glass top one right now so make sure someone other than me gets a good humi that needs it. Now that I think about it is was a BOTL that led me to my first Opus X last week and made sure I didn't buy a fake one and that it came from an authorized dealer. Don't know your name on here man but thanks John L. You now have gotten me hooked on being a BOTL myself.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Cheers,
Very much so. I've been smoking cigars for about the last 10 years on a rare occasion. About 4 years ago a fellow homebrewer introduced me to a long filler handmade cigar and I loved it. It was the HBT forum that led me to online cigar buying and then all downhill from there....

My experience in beer trades made the transition to cigar trades pretty easy. But... I've mostly stuck with beer trades. I don't have cigars people are seeking.
Yeah me too. I have some pretty rare and sought after beers which I now realize are actually easier to obtain than a rare cigar since I have no idea where to even find rare cigars. So I'm interested in trading but have no idea what people would want from me since it would be all crap they can buy at any cigar shop probably.