What's new

Evil Black Rifles

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm an M1A guy, but I've been debating picking up an AR. Before I quit working at the gun shop I had a RRA elite comp on order that didn't show up until over a year after I parted ways and the other manager sold it. Been thinking of rectifying that purchase... That or buy the Troy chassis for my SocomII... Decisions....

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I don't guess anyone has a stripped ar lower laying around they may want to get rid of hmmm? I got a few things to trade, maybe even a cigar or two.
PSA has had their blem lowers on sale lately. $50 for a good lower, that's what I did. Next time, I'll probably buy a handful of them.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Finished my 5.56 frankenrifle about a year ago. Fun build. I aligned and drilled the pins for the sight post myself. I have since put a Primary Arms red dot on.
IMAG0236new.jpg

My next project is a 7mm-08, DPMS based. That's a PA10 lower with a DPMS upper. The barrel should arrive any day. I have a MI free float hand guard ready to go on. Should be ready to shoot soon!

IMAG0679new.jpg

edit: fixed spelling

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I am in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel. So far I have the barrel, upper, lower, handguard, and BCG. Hope to have it completed in three or four months, not really in a rush, trying to be patient for good deals on spendier parts like a UBR stock.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My next project is a 7mm-08, DPMS based. That's a PA10 lower with a DPMS upper. The barrel should arrive any day. I have a MI free float hand guard ready to go on. Should be ready to shoot soon!
Do you reload your own ammo? I had someone tell me along while back if you know what your doing you can modify 308 brass and it cuts the cost down. I have a 7mm-08 deer rifle and ammo is extremely expensive around here!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Do you reload your own ammo? I had someone tell me along while back if you know what your doing you can modify 308 brass and it cuts the cost down. I have a 7mm-08 deer rifle and ammo is extremely expensive around here!
Yup, been reloading for a long time. Factory ammo is pretty high around here, too. Boxes of cheap hunting ammo are going for at least $28 for 20 cartridges.

It should be straight forward to resize 308 brass down to 7mm. Might be necessary to turn the necks, but the resizing is very minimal. I'm still evaluating the availability of once fired brass in 7mm-08. Its a heck of a cartridge, but obviously not as popular as the 308's and 06's of the world.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yup, been reloading for a long time. Factory ammo is pretty high around here, too. Boxes of cheap hunting ammo are going for at least $28 for 20 cartridges.

It should be straight forward to resize 308 brass down to 7mm. Might be necessary to turn the necks, but the resizing is very minimal. I'm still evaluating the availability of once fired brass in 7mm-08. Its a heck of a cartridge, but obviously not as popular as the 308's and 06's of the world.
Around here hunting ammo is about 38 a box.. :( Makes it hard to get a rifle sighted in lol. Most my fam uses weatherby 7mil mags. I really like mine but with ammo being so expensive if I chase whitetail this year ill prb just use ar with hornady redtips. Its a tack driver! dime size groups at 100 yards I feel I could place a perfect shot no problem

on another note... hornady critical defence http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-41665-hornady-critical-defense-ammo-410-gauge-2-12-triple-defense-20-rounds.aspx What a narly round!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I usually only buy ammo when I first use a rifle. One less variable in case the thing goes boom in a bad way. After I'm comfortable with how the rifle is functioning, I'll start working up my own loads.

Just quick off the top of my head to reload the 7mm-08...this will be very similar to cartridges like the 308 Win, '06 based cartridges, etc... Larger cases like your Weatherby Mag will use more powder, which will add a few cents.

140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip = $0.44
Primer = $0.03
Powder = $0.11
Brass = $0.05 (assume multiple uses, brings cost way down)

That's $0.63 per round. Reloading centerfire brass is very much worth it. For plinking, you can get even lower on bullet cost.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip = $0.44
Primer = $0.03
Powder = $0.11
Brass = $0.05 (assume multiple uses, brings cost way down)

That's $0.63 per round. Reloading centerfire brass is very much worth it. For plinking, you can get even lower on bullet cost.
Wow that's a beautiful thing! I could have a lot of fun like that! I need to make some reloading buddies stat.... if only reloading and cigars went hand in hand. I hear you can but things tend to go out with a big bang! lol