What's new

Evil Black Rifles

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Keeping it local w/ DPMS out of St. Cloud, MN (60mi NW of the MPLS metro)
2013-09-13 06.56.18small.jpg
Early this year I fed into the "potential ban" hype and placed a special order with davewittwer / Wittwer Arms.
Now, 7 months later, I'm the proud (happy, excited!) owner of my first AR, the above DPMS RFA3-3G1.
I haven't handled or maintained any AR platform since my M16 in the service, and even earlier than that as I was changed over to a SAW gunner position in 2002 and finished out my enlistment with the M249.
Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked! It feels somewhat foreign, like I'm learning all over again. :stretchgr

Relatively lightweight @ 7.75lb w/ 18" bbl.
She came partially dressed; JP Single Stage trigger, V-Tac Free Float forend, Hogue Rubber Grip, Miculek Compensator.
Not sure how I feel about the CTR stock, would prefer something with a better, more consistent cheek-weld. I have a UBR at home intended for a different build, but it adds more weight. Thoughts?
Will probably go to a carbon-fiber tube eventually to trim a bit of weight as well.
Right now the plan for glass is a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 w/ Switchview Throw Lever, but need to build up funds again after the rifle purchase and my new foray into the cigar world... (didn't see a smiley for empty pockets!)

I'd hope to get in to some local 3-gun with it, perhaps next summer.
(The wife wants our hobbies to have "goals," so money put toward competition and training is more acceptable that me just "playing" at the range - sounds good to me!)
Any BOTL out there doing 3-gun that may have advice on what else to add to (or stay away from) in my setup?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Relatively lightweight @ 7.75lb w/ 18" bbl.
She came partially dressed; JP Single Stage trigger, V-Tac Free Float forend, Hogue Rubber Grip, Miculek Compensator.
Not sure how I feel about the CTR stock, would prefer something with a better, more consistent cheek-weld. I have a UBR at home intended for a different build, but it adds more weight. Thoughts?
Will probably go to a carbon-fiber tube eventually to trim a bit of weight as well.
Right now the plan for glass is a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 w/ Switchview Throw Lever, but need to build up funds again after the rifle purchase and my new foray into the cigar world... (didn't see a smiley for empty pockets!)

(The wife wants our hobbies to have "goals," so money put toward competition and training is more acceptable that me just "playing" at the range - sounds good to me!)
Any BOTL out there doing 3-gun that may have advice on what else to add to (or stay away from) in my setup?
Sounds like a good setup. The HD 1-6 is an awesome optic, and will serve you well. If the gun runs fine, you should be good. An adjustable gas block might be a nice upgrade, if you end up with a competition bolt, buffer, etc.

Where is there 3 Gun in your area? I'd definitely be in for that.

Learn to reload your shotgun well. That's the make-or-break point for 3G.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Sounds like a good setup. The HD 1-6 is an awesome optic, and will serve you well. If the gun runs fine, you should be good. An adjustable gas block might be a nice upgrade, if you end up with a competition bolt, buffer, etc.

Not sure yet, but I'd imagine there has to be SOMETHING close enough worth driving to.
I've been to a couple of the SCAPSA pistol shoots in the past (St. Cloud Area Practical Shooting Assoc.?) with a buddy, but am yet to actually compete myself.
My guess is if they're not hosting something, they should know someplace that is. I'll keep you in mind!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Not sure yet, but I'd imagine there has to be SOMETHING close enough worth driving to.
I've been to a couple of the SCAPSA pistol shoots in the past (St. Cloud Area Practical Shooting Assoc.?) with a buddy, but am yet to actually compete myself.
My guess is if they're not hosting something, they should know someplace that is. I'll keep you in mind!
I know Pine Island hosts some 3G matches, but I don't think they're very frequent... or of very high quality.

Details on SCAPSA? Is it a sub-set of USPSA?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I know Pine Island hosts some 3G matches, but I don't think they're very frequent... or of very high quality.

Details on SCAPSA? Is it a sub-set of USPSA?
Looks like they are doing 3-Gun:

"Welcome To SCAPSA SCAPSA is a USPSA club. We focus on pistol skills and we do have a 3-gun events each year. Our sport is nationally governed by USPSA. People that are active in this sport come from a wide variety of occupations. We have Military people, Police, State Troopers, BATF Agents, Security people, County Employees, Doctors, Teachers, Engineers, and many more. We have juniors, seniors, father and sons, Husband and Wife, family all a bunch of good folks having a good time. If you are interested in this sport or have questions send us and email and we will be glad to chat with you."

Looks like they only hosted three 3-Gun matches this summer, the final one coming up on Saturday, October 05.
Might have to check it out if we don't already have plans. (Wifey has a 10k coming up, but I'm not sure what Saturday that is...)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm a fan of another black rifle, one that dates back a little farther. I've always taken a shining to the FN-FAL. About 10 years ago, I chanced upon a website devoted to building them. The parts and kits were cheap. So was surplus ammo. I've built a bunch of them, and still have a couple. It was nothing like building an AR, in that there wasn't much of a custom and aftermarket parts selection, and only a few receiver makers. It was fun though, and they are a great rifle.
2006_04150007.jpg2006_04150019.jpg
Alex, if you read this, tell me, how does your dad like shooting the AR? I'm a lefty, and I have always experienced burned gas being discharged in my face during ejection. I've never heard anyone else complain of this, but it bugs the hell out of me. Especially some surplus ammunitions that have a strong smell of ammonia.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
He's had zero issue shooting it. I've also had no problem shooting it from my weak side.

Very well could be the ammunition types being used.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm a fan of another black rifle, one that dates back a little farther. I've always taken a shining to the FN-FAL. About 10 years ago, I chanced upon a website devoted to building them. The parts and kits were cheap. So was surplus ammo. I've built a bunch of them, and still have a couple. It was nothing like building an AR, in that there wasn't much of a custom and aftermarket parts selection, and only a few receiver makers. It was fun though, and they are a great rifle.
View attachment 35350View attachment 35351
Alex, if you read this, tell me, how does your dad like shooting the AR? I'm a lefty, and I have always experienced burned gas being discharged in my face during ejection. I've never heard anyone else complain of this, but it bugs the hell out of me. Especially some surplus ammunitions that have a strong smell of ammonia.
The FAL I built years ago had one of those ridiculously long comps on it. As fun as those rifles could be, they are incredibly unwieldy. I ultimately preferred the HK91s. there's something about that delayed roller lock that just works!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
The FAL I built years ago had one of those ridiculously long comps on it. As fun as those rifles could be, they are incredibly unwieldy. I ultimately preferred the HK91s. there's something about that delayed roller lock that just works!
Pshhhh. The FAL is WAY cooler.
:cool::gangfire:

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Pshhhh. The FAL is WAY cooler.
:cool::gangfire:
On TV last night I saw two dorks run a fire course with full auto SBR'd FALs and SCAR Heavys! It was awesome! Nobody could control the FA recoil of the FAL, but it put on a great show and smoked the SCAR in the course times, mostly due to the irons being so low to the rail and the tiny targets involved.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
For as ridiculously big the FAL, it's amazing how shootable they are.

A guy on a number of the shooting forums, Munch520, posted comparison videos of shooting the 1-5 Drill with his SBR AR, and an SBR FAL. FAL had the faster run.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0

I'm a novice and a first time builder. This is a hodge podge of a gun. Parts from lots of different places, but I'm pumped. My first one. Cheapo optics, but not bad.