What's new

Favorite Bourbon

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think i can honestly say that i have never had a "bad" bourbon. To me, they are all good - similar in flavor profile but yet unique in their own way.

Asking me to pick my favorite is like making me pick one child over another.

The bourbons that I seem to keep on hand all the time (since every day I have a different mood) are:

Knob Creek
Elijah Craig - 12
Blantons
Bookers
Woodford Reserve
Makers Mark
Four Roses
Gentleman Jack - not bourbon
Dickel 12 - not bourbon

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Old thread and before I joined but I've seen at least 20 newb trades since I landed so maybe others will chime in. Stagg is my favorite woodford double Oaked which just returned to shelves and buffalo trace is a great daily at the price point. everything else is time and place and availability... And I've not had any of the van winkles yet.
Funny you mention Woodford Double Oaked back on the shelves. The couple liquor stores I frequent say it really doesn't move that well. I stick with the standard Woodford because I don't want to pay the extra for the double oaked.
Well ...did you taste it?
Yes I did. It was very good.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm hooked on Jim Beam Black for sipping. Very smooth, and the price is right. I must say the version we get here in Canada taste a lot better then the bottles I've bought state side for some reason. Our version says it's triple aged 6 years and the bottles I got in the US say 8 years. The extra two years didn't do it any good i guess.

My other favorite for special occasions is Blanton Original Single Barrel. Has the best nose and needs to sit 20 mins before drinking. Too bad we get bent over here in Canada at $65 a bottle.

One that unimpressed me was the Woodford reserve. All the great reviews and I didn't dig it for the price point.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Like everything, it depends on what you want to spend.

In the 25$ range I like:
Bulleit
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Bernheim Original

In the 35$ range I like:
Basil Hayden
Four Roses Single Barrel
Noah's Mill

In the 45$ Range I like:
Bookers
Willet Pot Stil
Jefferson Reserve

In the 70$+ Range I like
William Larue Weller
George T Stagg
Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition Small Batch - one of the best new things I have had in a long time

For mixing I really like Makers 46 but straight up its meh.
I have never liked Makers Mark and have never liked Woodford Reseve

Just my humble opinoins

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
At this point, Angel's Envy, although Woodford and Basil Hayden's are also favorites.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jefferson's 10yr Rye, Redemption Bourbon (and rye...I really like rye lol) both are great bottles for short cash. Easy to have around and not worry about drinking it up

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Jefferson's 10yr Rye, Redemption Bourbon (and rye...I really like rye lol) both are great bottles for short cash. Easy to have around and not worry about drinking it up
The price is what halfway scared me but I plan to try it. Not that I go for the most expensive but it's got a great bottle and seemed like the glass alone was the whole asking price lol

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I always keep two bottles of Makers Mark on my shelf for Old Fashioneds and a fifth of Knob.

Don't judge me on the 7-up, Its a family thing.
You should try and get some Marasca cherries from Italy. They're a world of difference to those neon colored maraschino cherries. They're briny, small, and very flavorful. I though "eeeh how much of a difference can a cherry make?" When I finally got a jar and made a bad ass Rye Manhattan I realized the difference. It's a small component but just made the drink.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jack Daniels is not a Boubon, Gentlemen. It is Tennessee whiskey. Distillation process is similar to Bourbon but another step (filtration through maple timbers) is added at the end. Common mistake.

With that said, Makers Mark, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are some of my favorite Bourbons

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always keep two bottles of Makers Mark on my shelf for Old Fashioneds and a fifth of Knob.

Don't judge me on the 7-up, Its a family thing.
I drink the Old Fashioned often, but I never tried it with 7 Up. I use soda water. I'll have to give the 7Up a try. I've tried it with several different Bourbons in my Old Fashioned drinks and I have to say that Makers Mark is my favorite.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So then is standard JD aged in barrels or is that where the maple charcoal comes into play? I figure gentleman Jack is barrel aged but I am not sure on the standard stuff.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then is standard JD aged in barrels or is that where the maple charcoal comes into play? I figure gentleman Jack is barrel aged but I am not sure on the standard stuff.

I believe that all Jack is filtered through the maple charcoal before it is put into barrels to be aged. The 'law' says that to be called bourbon, no additives can be added and this is technically an additive so it can't be called bourbon - although it is bourbon in every other way.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I believe that all Jack is filtered through the maple charcoal before it is put into barrels to be aged. The 'law' says that to be called bourbon, no additives can be added and this is technically an additive so it can't be called bourbon - although it is bourbon in every other way.
Yep! Jack (Tennessee Whiskey) adds the additional step of filteration through maple timber charcoal before it is placed in barrels to age. This step doesn't comply with the Bourbon law passed by Congress back in 1964. Everything up until the charcoal filtration is the same process used to make Bourbon.

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
IMG_0204.jpg
Did a blind tasting last night and ended up favoring the 20 year Michter's, shocking just shocking

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Breckenridge Bourbon that was gifted to me. Don't know much about bourbon, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am a big Blanton's fan. I love bourbon... the only thing I really drink. Blanton's has that burnt sugar, maple and white oak flavor on the palate and finishes with some vanilla and citrus notes. I like it a lot.

Also, just got a bottle of High West "Son of Bourye" from Utah about a month ago. Although not technically bourbon, I really was surprised at how good it was. Worth a try if you're a bourbon / whiskey guy like me. Its a blend of both corn bourbon and rye... and they nailed it. http://www.highwest.com/spirits/son-of-bourye/