What's new

First cigar?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my early twenties, single, without a care, smoking Black and Milds while my buddy and I were on our crazy road trips, sleeping in our car, in and out of flea bag motels. Best times ever.
Now I'm married with all the typical associated mundane responsibilities smoking $10.00 sticks. I think though, I would trade it all in and go back in time, to be young and carefree smoking cheap cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a Macanudo, but it's been 30 years, and I've killed a lot of brain cells. Padron was the one that made me start to stay up nights and dream about buying cigars.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
houston - 2006 world's championship bar-b-que contest

we won best ribs and so was handed i think a JR ultimate maduro

fuggin loved it !!

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Unfortunately it wasn't anything great. When I turned 18 I went and bought some white owls and black&milds. Since 18 I smoked the occational cigar for golf (sometimes cheap gas station stuff, sometimes finer stuff from B&Ms but I still didn't know anything about them). After graduation, I finally had extra money to spend so I got into cigars like I'd been wanting now. Now it seems like I never have extra money to spend...

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I couldn't tell you the name of my first cigar, but I'll never forget the experience(s). I had just move to Fort Myers, Florida and was hanging out with my brother who'd been there for two years. He, his (then) fiancee, and I went to Fort Myers Beach to get some cigars and hang out on the pier. (fyi, I just deleted about a paragraph of details that mean a lot to me and you could care less about lol) I ended up with some kind of rum-flavored cigar that made me toss my cookies. I chalked it up as being a light-weight and my brother certainly reiterated it lol. A couple weeks later I was out of town and my parents were in town visiting my brother. When they went to the beach he got the same cigar and it did the same to him. I couldn't tell you the names of my first few cigars, but they were all from the Cigar Hut on Fort Myers Beach and some of the best memories of my life. One of my first was a Kahlua by DE. Although I'm not a fan of the infused any more, I don't bash 'em and I'd love to have a Kahlua again, probably because I know they've been discontinued and I'd love to re-live the memories. When I first smoked cigars regularly, it was all Kuba's, Acid One's, and Kahlua's, and I certainly don't regret it; it's how I arrived where I am today and I am most pleased :grin:

Romeo y Julieta Vintage (last month) - I'm a newbie!
welcome to a fine hobby, my friend :thumbsup:

...(I decided I wanted the first to be in a controlled environment where I cold make all the usual first-time mistakes and not embarass the heck out of myself!).
I'm guessing you're a lot like me and simply like to do things right the first time. However, if this is because you're concerned about specific individuals demeaning you for not "doing it right", I'd like to offer my .02: If you're in an environment where you'll be criticized for not doing everything just right while smoking a cigar, I'd strongly suggest finding a new place to smoke cigars. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. I'll borrow my good friend's quote and add that it's not about how you smoke a cigar or what cigar you smoke, but with whom you smoke them and what memories you create in doing so :cbig:

If you're into grape Phillies, grab one and lets herf my brother! IMHO, a cigar is nothing more than an instrument used to foster fellowship. Some are much better than others, but they're simply instruments none-the-less.

Smoking a cigar is more than adding fire to the end of a stick of tobacco, it is a lot of experiences all rolled up together.
- Rodney Duke

Not too proud to say mine was prob a swisser back when I wan in high school.
You should be ashamed; you should have known better :shame: :grin:

i went to the cigar shop and bought the biggest one for the lowest price
Livin' the American dream! :thumpsup:

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Swisher back in the late 70s. I did take Backwoods with me when I went hunting, had one a few years ago too and they are still decent. First real cigar was one of a group of nine I got to try out when I first got into premium cigars in 2005. Turns out my favorite from that bunch was the Flor de Oliva corojo toro and it's still my go-to cigar today.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
In highschool me and a buddy stole some drug store cigars and smoked them in the woods where we would ride our bikes. We thought we were hot shit. They were like swisher sweets, and something with a plastic tip.

My first cuban was a Bolivar PC that Todd sent to me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you're a lot like me and simply like to do things right the first time. However, if this is because you're concerned about specific individuals demeaning you for not "doing it right", I'd like to offer my .02: If you're in an environment where you'll be criticized for not doing everything just right while smoking a cigar, I'd strongly suggest finding a new place to smoke cigars. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. I'll borrow my good friend's quote and add that it's not about how you smoke a cigar or what cigar you smoke, but with whom you smoke them and what memories you create in doing so :cbig:
I appreciate your concern for my positive socialization, but I assure you I was just trying to be clinical about it. Yes, I do tend to like to do things right the first time. And without much of a mentor, I tiptoed into cigars through a book, some internet research, and a few helpful cigar shop salesfolk.

Frankly, if I am out someplace and somebody accuses me of not enjoying my cigar properly, I am confident I could muster the appropriate discourse in aide of myself. :)

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't remember what my first cigar was. It was given to me by my uncle who bought it at the corner store during a family gathering. The first cigar I remember buying was a 5 pack of Dutch Masters. I thought I was king of the world. The first cigar I remember enjoying was a Davidoff 2000, when I started taking cigars seriously.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I couldn't tell you the name of my first cigar, but I'll never forget the experience(s). I had just move to Fort Myers, Florida and was hanging out with my brother who'd been there for two years. He, his (then) fiancee, and I went to Fort Myers Beach to get some cigars and hang out on the pier. (fyi, I just deleted about a paragraph of details that mean a lot to me and you could care less about lol) I ended up with some kind of rum-flavored cigar that made me toss my cookies. I chalked it up as being a light-weight and my brother certainly reiterated it lol. A couple weeks later I was out of town and my parents were in town visiting my brother. When they went to the beach he got the same cigar and it did the same to him. I couldn't tell you the names of my first few cigars, but they were all from the Cigar Hut on Fort Myers Beach and some of the best memories of my life.
Is that back when the cigar hut was actually a sidewalk vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backwood sweet aromatic. Tried one a couple months ago and now I can't stand them. That's what smoking premium cigars for 6 years will do to you.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
In 2002 one of my good friends came to stay at my condo during the summer on Hilton Head Island to work the food and beverage scene.

He was "sorta" into cigars and dragged me into our local B&M one day. Not knowing the deal he picked a few out for us. I remember gasping at the thought of a $6.25 Romeo Y Julieta cigar (lol right). We sparked'em up that night and I remember really enjoying the cigar and the ritual.

What a slippery slope because I've never looked back. My friend still "dabbles" in cigars but when he visits we always light one up and remember the good old days.

I always look back with fondness on those relaxing nights during simpler times of sharing a cigar with one of your best friends.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I appreciate your concern for my positive socialization, but I assure you I was just trying to be clinical about it. Yes, I do tend to like to do things right the first time. And without much of a mentor, I tiptoed into cigars through a book, some internet research, and a few helpful cigar shop salesfolk.

Frankly, if I am out someplace and somebody accuses me of not enjoying my cigar properly, I am confident I could muster the appropriate discourse in aide of myself. :)
I'm totally with you, that's how I ended up here! I was looking for a cigar I'd had in the past and couldn't stand to just go out and buy it; I had to look further into it.

Is that back when the cigar hut was actually a sidewalk vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suppose, it was right next to the Lani Kai. Is it no longer there? I seldom miss Ft Myers because I live in a more "rural" area now and I'm not crazy about crowds or traffic. When I first lived in the area I lived in Alva, I like it out there! However, I do miss riding my Harley to the beach and just relaxing. Even though the food left much to be desired, I loved getting lunch on top of the Lani Kai or just taking a walk down the beach. Good times...

...What a slippery slope because I've never looked back. My friend still "dabbles" in cigars but when he visits we always light one up and remember the good old days.

I always look back with fondness on those relaxing nights during simpler times of sharing a cigar with one of your best friends.
That's what it's all about, isn't it? Some of my best memories are credited to cigars :cbig:

When in doubt, smoke
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can't really remember my first hand rolled but was probably a Mac. But my first cigar, cigar was probably Black and Gold. Still remember those days... Good friend of mine split a box and we'd sit up on this bench between two trees on top a hill behind the school near my house smoking them, bullshitting about life and the future... heavy shit when you're 18. Lot of good conversations were had over that box. Still got the box even, empty of cigars now but full of memories. Still got the friend and we still get together and bullshit about life over a couple of cigars.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Hoyo de Monterey robusto in the mid-nineties. I used to smoke those and one that was really good that I think was called Hoyo de Nicaragua... It was not Joya de Nicaragua.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First "real" cigar was Cohiba Siglo 1 in the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin in 1999. I was smoking it when an absolutely beautiful woman asked me if it was a Cohiba. She told me she loved the smell of Cohibas and we got talking. Later on that night, the inevitable happened even though she wayyyyyyy out of my normal league. Now this got me thinking and I started smoking Cubans from that day forward!

I was interested to read about the Backwoods. I tasted them for the first time while in CA a few months ago and found them to be a great driving smoke. I quite liked them even though I smoke CCs. They're not really cigars though.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joke swisher sweet wood tip. Then I made the jump to real cigars with some Romeo y Julieta's. I believe it was a five pack of the reserva real that was advertised in the back of Watchtime magazine. Great smokes. Those started a great journey.

Last edited: