What's new

Help, my car is stroking out

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Hey, over the winter that's my daily cigar too! On the ride home..
....... I'm glad you're rolling smoking lounge is back in action !!
Well picked up the damn thing and once it gets to about 750rpm it’ll surge to 1100 or so rpmi at park or in gear. Was coasting to a red light Nd it surged. That unexpected acceleration scared me! Doesn’t surge at 3k plus rpm anymore.

So back at the shop it is.... /sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
There may be a "relearn procedure" . If a relearn is necessary, and you ignore the relearn procedure, the car will eventually figure it out in about 1/2 hour.
How long was your ride? . They could have left a vacuum line off. Or it fell off. But I'd ask them is a relearn is necessary.

I replaced a Crank Position Sensor to alleviate stalling on one of my cars, (sucessfully) and the relearn was not necessary.
But when I replaced a gas pedal on another, I had to sit in the driveway with the car running and put the car at different revs for specified periods.

When I got my TCM (transmission control module) flashed by the dealer. I picked the car up and it bucked like a bronco. The next day I performed the TCM relearn procedure. Car needed to relearn the shift points. Drive 75, slow down to 45. Up to 75 , slow to 25, etc. Not suggested to perform during rush hour.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I pulled it out of the dealership and went probably 1/10 of a mile down the road when I coasted to the red light and it surged on me. So I pulled into the Taco Bell I was nearby and parked it in a space and left it in idle and watch the needke slowly go down and then back up every 5 to 10 seconds it seemed. They mentioned they test drove for 20 miles at least without any issue

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
So much for optimism. Is your check engine light on? If it is, see what it says with your reader. . Just don't erase it.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
So much for optimism. Is your check engine light on? If it is, see what it says with your reader. . Just don't erase it.
No lights came on. It would not stall it would just bounce up in RPMs a little bit then slowly come back down and bounce again then come back down over and over. Either way it’s back at the dealer now for them to double check.

I hate when people waste my time and money when I get a phone call that says it is all fixed and that they test drove it ya know... Service manager will get a call tomorrow on this kind of sloppy work follow through. So stressful.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
No lights came on. It would not stall it would just bounce up in RPMs a little bit then slowly come back down and bounce again then come back down over and over. Either way it’s back at the dealer now for them to double check.
I hate when people waste my time and money when I get a phone call that says it is all fixed and that they test drove it ya know... Service manager will get a call tomorrow on this kind of sloppy work follow through. So stressful.
Word !

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
So they claim to not found anything with the car today, and said they were idle for a a while. The service manager is going to take it out for a test run tomorrow morning and then I will come back to pick it up to see if they’re full of crap or not lol

The service advisor said the RPMs would go up when they turned on the air conditioning and that was it

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Well, Thursday it acted like the engine was trying to stall and the computer was adjusting for that.
If I'm following this story correctly... before the crank sensor was replaced, it couldn't do that too well.
Maybe it was just "learning'. . If it continues ... like I say, there's shit you can check.
Ya know, before you drive the thing off a cliff.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hey @Bondo 440 Have any experience getting a car out of limp home mode?

Buddy has an 04 Lexus gs430, accidentally connected the battery backwards and blew the ALT main fuse.

Would start but wouldn't go in gear and no lights or instruments would work.

Got the shift override figured out, have the fuse bridged, so the lights and gages are working, but it has no power and won't Rev..... Hopefully the ecm isn't fried, really just trying to help him get home at this point.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Check under hood fuses. Look for anything with BCM as well. Fuses will be visually blown if bad,.
You need to know if you still have 14 to 11.5 VDC on the batt. Under that, the BCM and ECU shut down.
You can Jump his battery that will keep the computer running for a short while.
For the time being, shut off all accessories and pull the relay for DRL so the headlights don't draw you down.
I'm searching now and I know what I'm looking for so stand by,

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Check under hood fuses. Look for anything with BCM as well. Fuses will be visually blown if bad,.
You need to know if you still have 14 to 11.5 VDC on the batt. Under that, the BCM and ECU shut down.
You can Jump his battery that will keep the computer running for a short while.
For the time being, shut off all accessories and pull the relay for DRL so the headlights don't draw you down.
I'm searching now and I know what I'm looking for so stand by,
Has a fresh battery on it, and the alternator seems to be working with the ALT main bus fuse bridged, but there's some kind of clicking in a relay in the other fuse box and something is causing bad readings and various error lights to show, vsc, batt, check engine, etc...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Can you identify which relay is clicking ?

This was before I read your second post--
I'm thinking of TPS the throttle position sensor. Most cars have a "relearn" procedure I've mentioned to Bostoneo in the past, but this vehicle all I can find is one guy says turn the ignition key up to accy without summoning the starter, then back to off ... about 50 times.
Another recommendation is either leave the car off for 20 minutes with the battery negative terminal disconnected. Then put it back on and retry.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
And pull the relay for the DRL. It's tagged in the fusebox under the hood. You could have melted the insulation on your headlight bus.
It would be enough to flutter the car. The negative pole of the battery has one path that goes directly to the headlights. Hot power there could cause this condition.
Pull the Daylight Running Light relay and see if the clicking stops

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Check Fuse 17 / 34/ 35/ 38 / 39

Ampere rating [A] Circuit protected
1 WASHER 20 Windshield washer
2 FR FOG 15 Fog lights
3 TAIL 10 Tail lights, Side marker lights, License plate lights, Parking light
4 GAUGE 10 Back–up lights, Gauges and meters, service reminder indicators and buzzers
5 FUEL OPN 10 Fuel filler door opener
6 PANEL 7,5 Emergency flashers, Headlight cleaner
7 HEATER 10 Air conditioning
8 SRS–B 5 Gauges and meters, service reminder indicators and warning buzzers
9 D P/SEAT 30 Power seat system
10 RADIO NO.2 15 Audio, Shift lock system
11 WIPER 25 Windshield wipers
12 OBD 7,5 On–board diagnosis
13 STOP 15 Stop lights, Anti–lock brake system, Traction control system
14 CIG 15 Cigarette lighter, Power outlet
15 ECU–IG 15 Power window, Door lock system, Wireless remote control, Theft deterrent system
16 STARTER 5 Starting system
17 IGN 5 Multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system, SRS, Anti–lock
brake system, Vehicle skid control system, Cruise control system
18 D RR DOOR 20 Power window system, Door lock system, Wireless remote control
19 RR FOG 10 No circuit
20 M/R HTR 10 Outside rear view mirror
21 S/ROOF 25 Electronic moon roof
22 ECU–B3 20 Power window system, Door lock system, Wireless remote control
23 P P/SEAT 30 Power seat system, Tilt and telescopic steering
24 DOME 10 Interior lights, Personal lights, Vanity lights, Trunk light, Clock
25 SEAT HTR 20 Seat heater
26 4WS 25 No circuit
27 TV 15 No circuit
28 ECU–B2 5 Power seat system
29 P RR DDOR 20 Power window system, Door lock system, Wireless remote control
30 ECU–B1 20 Power window system, Door lock system, Wireless remote control, Theft deterrent system, Trunk lid opener, Interior lights, Personal lights, Clock, Headlight cleaner
31 P FR DOOR 10 Power window system, Door lock system, Wireless remote control
32 D FR DOOR 20 Power window system, Door lock system, Wireless remote control
33 HORN 10 Horn
34 ETCS 15 Electronic throttle control system
35 AM2 15 Starting system, Multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system
36 TEL 15 No circuit
37 TURN–HAZ 10 Turn signal lights
38 EFI 25 Multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system, Emission control system
39 ALT–S 5 Charging system
40 RADIO NO.1 20 Audio
41 DRL NO.2 30 Daytime running light system
42 DRL NO.1 30 Daytime running light system
43 H–LP L LWR 15 Left–hand headlight (low beam)
44 H–LP R LWR 15 Right–hand headlight (low beam)
45 H–LP R UPR 15 Right–hand headlight (high beam)
46 H–LP L UPR 15 Left–hand headlight (high beam)
* SPARE
Spare fuse