What's new

Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have decided if for some reason doesn't hold the humidity level i am going to just purchase a bigger humidor....
Whatever you do, don't go throwing good money after bad. If you decide to purchase a bigger humidor, make sure it has a good seal, thick walls, and above all, check the thickness of the floor. It doesn't matter how great the seal is, how thick the walls are, if it's got a thin floor for all the rH to just leak out of. If you want a nice wooden look, invest in a good quality (read: not cheap, and not Chinese) humidor. If cost is a factor, go with a tupperware or even a small cooler (I'm partial to the 28qt Coleman with the handle, myself).

For sure i think what i might do is get a nice tupperware until my collection grows. Then look at a really nice humidor, or go big and just do a wineador.. Seems like there is no end to the madness anyways

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure i think what i might do is get a nice tupperware until my collection grows. Then look at a really nice humidor, or go big and just do a wineador.. Seems like there is no end to the madness anyways

I like it, spend your money on cigars.

I just started smoking cigars in July-ish, less than a year...I recently upgraded from tupperware with boveda and some cedar sheets in there, to a wineador recently I found on craigslist for $50.

It can all be done for very little money with the right timing and tips. I believe it was a post StogieNinja made speaking of the devil that inspired me to glance at craigslist one day, 2 days later I drove to the ladies house and picked the wine cooler up.

I thought I would keep using tupperware for at least another 6 months to a year before I finally spent $250 on a new wineador.

Anyway, have fun and try new brands of cigars every chance you get!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually was digging on craigslist and surprisingly you can find them pretty easily. You ever order the sampler's online? Seems like a good way to try some out.

I like it, spend your money on cigars.

I just started smoking cigars in July-ish, less than a year...I recently upgraded from tupperware with boveda and some cedar sheets in there, to a wineador recently I found on craigslist for $50.

It can all be done for very little money with the right timing and tips. I believe it was a post StogieNinja made speaking of the devil that inspired me to glance at craigslist one day, 2 days later I drove to the ladies house and picked the wine cooler up.

I thought I would keep using tupperware for at least another 6 months to a year before I finally spent $250 on a new wineador.

Anyway, have fun and try new brands of cigars every chance you get!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Don't put the boveda and water bowl in together.
Sorry to interrupt, fellow noob here. Might I ask for an explanation here? Is it just because of the 2-way action of the Boveda? Or is there some other reason to not do this? Thanks in advance.
I'm a n00b as well, but I am going to throw in a guess to see if I'm right before a knowledgeable brother answers. The bowl of water will put moisture into the air at a faster rate than the Boveda pack will be able to absorb it. Plus, I imagine, after the Boveda pack (which isn't designed as a dehumidifier) has absorbed enough of the excess humidity and can't absorb any more, the bowl of water will continue to add to the RH, driving it up inside the humidor.

Good guess? I mean, the science seems straightforward...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't put the boveda and water bowl in together.
Sorry to interrupt, fellow noob here. Might I ask for an explanation here? Is it just because of the 2-way action of the Boveda? Or is there some other reason to not do this? Thanks in advance.
Not a huge deal, but yeah because its 2 way. When seasoning your humidor, you want the cedar interior to soak up as much water as it wants. Then you want to regulate the RH with the boveda.

Kind of pointless to have the boveda fighting to soak up the moisture during that time.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The bowl of water will put moisture into the air at a faster rate than the Boveda pack will be able to absorb it. Plus, I imagine, after the Boveda pack (which isn't designed as a dehumidifier) has absorbed enough of the excess humidity and can't absorb any more, the bowl of water will continue to add to the RH, driving it up inside the humidor.

Good guess? I mean, the science seems straightforward...
The Boveda is designed as a two-way medium, meaning that if the ambienr rH inside the humidor falls below the specified rH, it will release it's contained humidity into the air, and above the specified rH, it will absorbe the extra humidity, bringing the rH back down. In that sense, it is designed as a dehumidifier.

The main reason to remove the Boveda while seasoning is simply to prevent the Boveda from slowing down the saturation process. Once the bowl of water has raised the interior rH of the humidor above the number on the Boveda, the Boveda will attempt to absorb any extra rH as long as it can, effectively slowing down the saturation process of the humidor. However, once fully saturated, the Boveda will stop absorbing and the rH will continue to climb.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, as stated before, Im noob also, but am currently in a project of seasoning a wineador where I have learned way more through the trial and error than I ever did reading about it.

You could actually, with a humidor as small as the one in this thread, season it with nothing but the boveda. You could never put a bowl of water in, you could only throw the 69 boveda he has in the humi when its brand new and bone dry and it will eventually level out at 69...but it would take forrrrEver.

So the bowl of water is to speed it up. Putting both in wont hurt the boveda, it just wont help speed the process up any.

Hope that made sense.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
In that sense, it is designed as a dehumidifier.
Yeah, I wasn't careful enough with my words. You're right, it does dehumidify the environment.

The main reason to remove the Boveda while seasoning is simply to prevent the Boveda from slowing down the saturation process. Once the bowl of water has raised the interior rH of the humidor above the number on the Boveda, the Boveda will attempt to absorb any extra rH as long as it can, effectively slowing down the saturation process of the humidor. However, once fully saturated, the Boveda will stop absorbing and the rH will continue to climb.
So, earlier in thread (or maybe it was another thread) someone asked why you wouldn't put a 65% Boveda pack in with a 70% jar of beads. I'm guessing that, for the same reason, the Boveda pack would just draw the moisture out of the beads faster, drying them up at a quicker rate?

Thanks for info!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I should re-word the question.

Got few in mail tonight, realized I actually don't need right away.

4 months from now, will a boveda be brand new pretty much, still in the wrapper unopened?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I imagine they'll last pretty long in that wrapper. You have to figure some of them sit on the shelf for a long while without problems.

I know I've had some at my house sit around for 2-3 months in the wrapper and come out ok.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I imagine they'll last pretty long in that wrapper. You have to figure some of them sit on the shelf for a long while without problems.

I know I've had some at my house sit around for 2-3 months in the wrapper and come out ok.
Thats what I was thinking, thanks for the input.

It only makes logical sense that the packaging would give it some type of shelf life.

Since someone figured out they could be rehydrated, I wondered if there was a trick to storing new ones other than just keeping it in my closet.

...but its not like Im doomsday prepping. Like you said, yours were fine for at least 3 or 4 months so thats all I need.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Is it okay to just keep a bowl of distilled water in with the sticks? As long as it sits steady?
Controlling the humidity that way is not really ideal. I say yes if its only temporary for a day or so but I think waiting to get the Bovedas is the smarter option.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Is it okay to just keep a bowl of distilled water in with the sticks? As long as it sits steady?
Controlling the humidity that way is not really ideal. I say yes if its only temporary for a day or so but I think waiting to get the Bovedas is the smarter option.
Besides, that bowl could sit perfectly steady for 2 years without an issue until you accidentally knock it or you fumble the humidor while opening it. Only takes a split second for an accident to happen.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it won't stay steady at 68-70% if I just have the 1 pad an the puck it'll drop to 60%. If I put a bowl of distilled water it stays steady at 70 no problem