What's new

Humidor

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or could i just be doing everything in properly and should essentially start from scratch again? Or could it be because my house stays so cool and the humidity level in the house is so low? im not sure on how that would affect the box though.
Yes, start from scratch first. Put only bowl of water in there.

Don't put the boveda and water bowl in together.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Have you tried the dollar bill test on your humidor seal? Also I am not sure if I have missed anything but I think you need a little more time to get this set up.

Seasoning your humidor should take a couple days, it's not just an over night process. Don't try to rush this as you will want your money in cigars not to go to waste.

When calibrating your hygrometer give it at least 24 hours, last time I think I let mine sit in the bag for 2 days before checking.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Seasoning a humidor can take a 7-14 days...I believe this is noted in a Sticky on the Humidor/Accessories page(s).

Until it "is" properly seasoned and holding humidity, do as others have suggested and use a good-sealing Tupperware style container with an appropriate humidity level Boveda.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you did salt test and they wouldn't move from 66 I think?

That's not good, your b&m can maybe calibrate it with theirs if you drop it off or hang there for a bit, then if its off they may give you a new one, don't quote me on that one.

Try taking boveda out first, just water bowl in there all day, then if you ggetin the 70s, take water out and THEN put boveda in by itself then it should stabalize perfectly.

As far as buying better humidor, idk.

I strictly operate off tupperware since they work so well.
Yea seems like possibly that bc the humidity level in my house is at like 30% that could be the main contributor. So i think ill use tupperware until i can get the humidity levels up in the house maybe..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned you did salt test and they wouldn't move from 66 I think?

That's not good, your b&m can maybe calibrate it with theirs if you drop it off or hang there for a bit, then if its off they may give you a new one, don't quote me on that one.

Try taking boveda out first, just water bowl in there all day, then if you ggetin the 70s, take water out and THEN put boveda in by itself then it should stabalize perfectly.

As far as buying better humidor, idk.

I strictly operate off tupperware since they work so well.
Yea seems like possibly that bc the humidity level in my house is at like 30% that could be the main contributor. So i think ill use tupperware until i can get the humidity levels up in the house maybe..
I live in Arizona, so the desert, there is pretty much zero humidity in our air, house, anywhere.

I had no problems with a bowl of water getting my wineador, which is a much larger space than your humi, up in the high 70s.

Im convinced your hygro is wrong but hard to say for sure.

Also, like others say, leave bowl of water in there for a while, give it a few days to get it right.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone i appreciate the info.. Also for helping out the noob..

It's suppose to get -10 here tonight in ohio.. Gonnna have to light up a nice cigar to enjoy while the snow is falling.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone i appreciate the info.. Also for helping out the noob..

It's suppose to get -10 here tonight in ohio.. Gonnna have to light up a nice cigar to enjoy while the snow is falling.
Yeah, hows it coming? Some people mentioned it taking upwards of a week or more, but for as tiny as your 20 ct is, you should be able to place a bowl of water in there and have it in the 70s within a few days max.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I just completed the seasoning of a new 150ct desktop humi. It took 13 days (total) to get it where it needs to be. The last one took 10 days.

Patience pays off with properly humidified smokes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just completed the seasoning of a new 150ct desktop humi. It took 13 days (total) to get it where it needs to be. The last one took 10 days.

Patience pays off with properly humidified smokes.
I agree but have you seen the pic of his humi at the bottom of the first page?

I can't possibly imagine why it would take more than 2 days of staying closed with a bowl of water, judging from the pic, idk though.

I've never had a desktop but I have seasoned things before and 7 days for what he has seems excessive, but again, although I have experience seasoning spanish cedar, both large and small amounts, I've never physically had a desktop so take it with a grain of salt.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little update.

So sunday night i threw a bowl of distilled water with the xikar hygrometer. This morning i check it and the humidity level was up to 71%. I have to admit i got a little excited, so i went ahead and threw my 69 boveda pad in there with the cigars (left the cigars in the cellophane). Figured once i got off work later tonight i would check on it again.

Also i did place a dollar bill and it wasn't really easy to pull out. So i have decided if for some reason doesn't hold the humidity level i am going to just purchase a bigger humidor...

As my collection has quickly grown to 10 cigars with a couple 5 packs on the way.

Recently been buying some drew estates my uzi weighs a ton. Man i can't get over these things, local humidor has bait fish for $3.50.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a little update.

So sunday night i threw a bowl of distilled water with the xikar hygrometer. This morning i check it and the humidity level was up to 71%. I have to admit i got a little excited, so i went ahead and threw my 69 boveda pad in there with the cigars (left the cigars in the cellophane). Figured once i got off work later tonight i would check on it again.
Awesome, I would imagine you will be A-OK.

I personally would have recommended, taking water out, then throwing boveda in by itself, then checking to make positive that RH was where you wanted it, THEN put the cigars in....but the bovedas are pretty trust worthy so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Recently been buying some drew estates my uzi weighs a ton. Man i can't get over these things...
All Drew Estate products are made by magical elves and have dust from unicorn horns sprinkled in them but you probably already read that on the label.

In all seriousness though, I love not all, but most DE cigars, but across the board, they almost always have an amazing amount of smoke with a perfect draw almost every time. The consistency is something you can't beat.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So i have decided if for some reason doesn't hold the humidity level i am going to just purchase a bigger humidor....
Whatever you do, don't go throwing good money after bad. If you decide to purchase a bigger humidor, make sure it has a good seal, thick walls, and above all, check the thickness of the floor. It doesn't matter how great the seal is, how thick the walls are, if it's got a thin floor for all the rH to just leak out of. If you want a nice wooden look, invest in a good quality (read: not cheap, and not Chinese) humidor. If cost is a factor, go with a tupperware or even a small cooler (I'm partial to the 28qt Coleman with the handle, myself).

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
So i have decided if for some reason doesn't hold the humidity level i am going to just purchase a bigger humidor....
Whatever you do, don't go throwing good money after bad. If you decide to purchase a bigger humidor, make sure it has a good seal, thick walls, and above all, check the thickness of the floor. It doesn't matter how great the seal is, how thick the walls are, if it's got a thin floor for all the rH to just leak out of. If you want a nice wooden look, invest in a good quality (read: not cheap, and not Chinese) humidor. If cost is a factor, go with a tupperware or even a small cooler (I'm partial to the 28qt Coleman with the handle, myself).
I'm finding that the tupperdor is working really well, now that I have the RH stabilized and a lot of cigars in there. I almost spent $40 on a humidor and really glad I didn't. Everything I've read (and people I've talked to) all say that the quality is really inconsistent.

When I do my next humidor, it will probably be a cooler.

Also, to the OP, if you want to keep a couple of sticks nearby for easy access, you can also throw a boveda pack into a glass jar. My wife picked one up from Walmart for about $5

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm finding that the tupperdor is working really well, now that I have the RH stabilized and a lot of cigars in there. I almost spent $40 on a humidor and really glad I didn't. Everything I've read (and people I've talked to) all say that the quality is really inconsistent.

When I do my next humidor, it will probably be a cooler.
I am with you on this ^^^^

Granted I have never owned a desktop, I can't imagine buying one.

Other than getting one as a gift, is there a really good reason to spend money on these as opposed to a cooler/tupperware/wineador?

Coolers and wine fridges have the advantage of better insulation than a desktop, but even a tupperware, that has no insulation, you can see your cigars and hygro without opening it.

When I first started smoking, I almost lost sleep over wanting a desktop with a glass top and analog hygro on the front...no way I would ever pay money for something like that at this point.

Curious to hear a pro-desktop humi rational on shelling out for a good quality one.

Again, I've never owned one so I'm probably missing something on this.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little update.

Awesome, I would imagine you will be A-OK.

I personally would have recommended, taking water out, then throwing boveda in by itself, then checking to make positive that RH was where you wanted it, THEN put the cigars in....but the bovedas are pretty trust worthy so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Recently been buying some drew estates my uzi weighs a ton. Man i can't get over these things...
All Drew Estate products are made by magical elves and have dust from unicorn horns sprinkled in them but you probably already read that on the label.

In all seriousness though, I love not all, but most DE cigars, but across the board, they almost always have an amazing amount of smoke with a perfect draw almost every time. The consistency is something you can't beat.
Hopefully it works out this time. If not i might just throw a bowl of water in there for like a week or so.. Then find a bigger humidor and if i can get my small one to hold finally just keep infused cigars in the small one.

Yea for sure i have tried a couple drew estate cigars. So far the my uzi weighs a ton has been my favorite of all i have tried. I just ordered some Baccarats the other day, those come in tomorrow. I have heard some good reviews on them.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
There are several traditional wooden humidors that I would love to have, but they are beautifully designed and I want them for their aesthetics and not their function. There is no way my wife would let me keep a tupperdor inthe living room (nor would I want to) but as a piece of art, a traditional humidor would be welcome.

But, in case any of you haven't seen this... (click the picture to go to the whole step by step article) It's designed to be a beer cooler so you could forgo the plumbing for a coolidor. Maybe a Summer project?