What's new

Kitty litter crystals

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Just in case some of you have lost the point here.

No one is trying to convince anyone to use one thing over the other.

The thing I have figured out recently is to not dismiss the KL just because it is KL.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I totally agree! I dismiss it because it's inferior :grin:
I have a hard time understanding how you can say that based on Xrundog's experiments. :dunno:

I know you have experimented on your own so I do understand that, but it's inferiority is really just your opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.

:rofl:

:grinFU:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Dang!

Lithium Chloride MSDS

I hope they are careful when they use lithium Chloride in the engineering process!

"Toxicology
Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin. May cause congenital malformations. May cause reproductive disorders. May cause harm to breastfed babies. Severe skin irritant."

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
NEWS FLASH; The 67-68 RH readings I mentioned earlier were from a couple weeks ago and were closer to the last time I spritzed with water, so my readings were higher than Xrundogs tests. Most cigar boxes I get come with a Boveda RH pack at set point of 69% RH. Half the time I take the fresh new Boveda pack and place it with the digital hygro in a ziplock baggie and double them up to prevent air leaks to check for accuracy. I placed the digital hydrometer in the cooler two hours to see how KL is doing today upon reading this thread again. The digital is reading 61% in the cooler an hour ago, meaning the cooler is damn near 65%. For the last hour I had the hygro in with a newly received Boveda pack in a baggie and I am getting a reading now of 64% RH. So the hygro is still about 4% light still.

Again for me, the KL beads are working fine and are an extremely good value for the purpose of keeping my cigars at the RH I desire. I have not added much water to the beads as the summer months in MD are humid. I have not used these in the winter when the RH drops to 30% in the office. So my two month test is limited to summer only. I am not speaking on prejudice, preconceived notions of cat piss or cat shit, just purely on what I have done and what Xrundog (and others) have done with the KL ExquisiCat Pearl Fresh product. Not that regular beads do not work or are not worth the money. To each his or her own.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Dang!

Lithium Chloride MSDS

I hope they are careful when they use lithium Chloride in the engineering process!

"Toxicology
Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin. May cause congenital malformations. May cause reproductive disorders. May cause harm to breastfed babies. Severe skin irritant."

I have to keep MSDS sheets at my office and show them to anyone who requests to see them, although nobody ever has.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
here is the way I look at the kitty litter experiments. You have a very experienced cigar smoker such as Xrundog. He is taking the kitty litter, conditioning it himself, and making it work "just like" Heartfelt beads. I can do the same, as well as others. But that does not make it the same thing. His expertise is what is making the beads work well for him. Hand a new cigar smoker a pound of kitty litter, and a pound of Heartfelt beads. The Heartfelt product will work right out of the package. Wish him good luck with the kitty litter, or he had better have a friend who really knows what he is doing to make the kitty litter work for him.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
here is the way I look at the kitty litter experiments. You have a very experienced cigar smoker such as Xrundog. He is taking the kitty litter, conditioning it himself, and making it work "just like" Heartfelt beads. I can do the same, as well as others. But that does not make it the same thing. His expertise is what is making the beads work well for him. Hand a new cigar smoker a pound of kitty litter, and a pound of Heartfelt beads. The Heartfelt product will work right out of the package. Wish him good luck with the kitty litter, or he had better have a friend who really knows what he is doing to make the kitty litter work for him.

Add my inexperienced to this assessment as well Ron. Mine are working great with NO scientific measuring of how much water or when for the KL beads. I just wet them too much a month ago now they leveled out to 65% RH. Also the same little monitoring for either of the two type of beads I use. Not like the KL beads are making me work 15 times harder to make up for the 15 times the cost of allegedly scientifically engineered cigar beads. If that were the case, I would only buy cigar beads as I have before. OR if the case were not such a large dollar and even higher percentage savings (15 to 1) would I consider the KL beads.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think after a brief explanation my 9 yr old could condition the KL. I think I'll try it tonite.

We've got people here who swear kl work with no ill effects. I have done this for 3 years with no problems, I know personally a fellow who has been doing this for 6+ years with a collection worth more than my 1st house. Others who swear by RH Beads with huge collections they don't want to trust to KL. I think if it where sold as 100% silica rather than KL most would not have a problem using it as they're using moslty silica and the other ingredient now.

It has been claimed the beads are far better, engineered for superior results. I need proof as to why.

I would like to see the MSDS though.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yes, I am being serious....is this a stupid question? After all, isn't that the whole f'ing point of kitty litter. Who's the dumb f$%k that would buy kitter litter and not have it control odor?

Well, all the quick searches I've done, each and every one says that this particular kitty litter "ABSORBS" and "TRAPS/ELIMINATES" odor. I'd like for someone to show me how this product does not affect smell. But hey, what do I care. You all are the experts on KL. When I use beads, my RH is rock steady and I get that wonderful smell :thumbsup:

Woah. Damn Shane! I didn't mean to be condescending, I really didn't. I apologize if it came across that way. All I was trying to say was that I am not aware that Silica Beads have any "odor trapping/eliminating" properties. You are 100% correct that they advertise both odor AND moisture absorbancy. I have not noticed any lessening of the smell we all love from using the beads and honestly don't know how they would absorb it. I have to figure they mean that since the "stuff" is absorbed that the smell is trapped within the beads because so is the "stuff". As we are only dealing in water vapor, I would imagine it woudln't affect smell...but I guess I can't be sure.
I do know there are two different versions, and the other has some kind of Blue Crystal for odor. I didn't realize teh straight crystal version advertised odor elimination. Strange, but I have trouble finding info on it on the web.

On the same note, unless the Lithium Chloride does something to keep the beads from absorbing moisture, they would do the same thing. Same basic material.

Again, I'm sorry if I came off as an ass.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Dang!

Lithium Chloride MSDS

"Toxicology

Hmmmm, same holds true for Kevin's chili.

Hey Tubadude ... is litium chloride the secret ingrediant in your chili? I thought it was some beer and a cigar ash?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I have to keep MSDS sheets at my office and show them to anyone who requests to see them, although nobody ever has.

Is this what's listed on the MSDS sheet, no wonder Mark didn't want to provide an MSDS sheet.
Woah brother. Might want to take a step back there. Mark is one of THE most trustworthy brothers I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I trust Mark completely. I also trust the gentleman who Runs Heartfelt Industries. I knew both of them through the boards before either started a business. NEITHER would intentionally put their friends or customers at risk.

It's one thing to have an intelligent discussion/debate into the merits of one product over another and how each one works, it is completely another to start throwing around accusations like that.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
...no wonder Mark didn't want to provide an MSDS sheet.
I don't have the sheet with me, that's why.

BTW - you can look up just about anything and in excess you will find an s-load of precautions.

Plain old vinegar msds:

"Prolonged inhalation of vapors can cause irritation of the respiratory tract"
"Will cause eye irritation"

~M

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ron, I think I'll have to respectfully disagree here. What I got out of XRundog's experiements was that the KL beads seem to maintain 65%, or there abouts, right out of the container. No more work or effort necessary than what you have with the other beads. That being said, I have not seen experiments that show how well it does at holding that RH steady over proglonged periods of times and what types of variations you get with it vs the other beads. In otherwords, I can see it being completely possible that the beads would hold the RH closer to their set point (less fluctuation) than the KL beads do. At that point it would be a matter of seeing what the fluctuations truly were and if you could live with them.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I wish this were true but they are not working for me. THe credo replacements are fine but the pound of 65% beads is holding at 68-69% no matter what I do. Its just too high.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Can someone please point me to Xrun's experiments / results? (of course unless they are on the one board I got banned from)

Thanks
~M