What's new

Kitty Litter - Experience so far

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect answer !
I've been using KL for about a weeks. Started it up with instructions from Rupe and it's been holding at 66 with no change. When I built the wineadore I figured why not try to run KL and if that didn't work I could change over to beads without much money wasted. So far KL is doing what people have said it would.

are these instructions wrote down somewhere, im thinking about going with KL for my coolidor im starting to build tomorrow
Here is a copy of the PM that I sent to Wicket to get him started..........

First off you want to make sure that you start with the right type of KL. It needs to be the crystal type and unscented. Personally I use Mimi litter ($4 for 4 pounds at WalMart) but others have had the same result with the Equisicat brand. Just make sure that it is the crystal style and unscented.

Next you will want to choose the right container. Some people have used nylon stockings or filter media bags to hold it but I have heard a complaint or two regarding dust if you do it this way. It is also a little bit harder to hydrate so what I have found is the best container is a shallow plastic Tupperware style container. In my one cooler I used plastic switch boxes (the type that you would use if you are putting a switch or outlet into your house) but the reason for this was that they fit perfectly into the empty space I had . The ones I use for my other cooler are the smaller containers that lunch meat came in originally. Sandwich size Gladware containers are also a great option. Basically any shallow plastic container will work.

Fill the containers with the KL about 1/2" to 1" deep. A little deeper than that will not hurt however the key is not to have a ton of KL but rather to have as much surface area exposed as possible. then distribute the containers at various locations. For a wineador I would say that you would want to have a couple of containers on the bottom and one or two on the top. if you have space one in the middle would not hurt but if you have some sort of circulation setup in your wineador it probably is not necessary.

Now to hydrate the KL. My suggestion is to go to WalMart and buy a spray bottle. I found one in the housewares section by the ironing supplies for around a buck. Fill the spray bottle with distilled water and spray the water over the top of the KL that is in your container. From my experience, the KL is generally about 60% RH out of the bag and that you can raise the humidity by 1% for every 1-2 spritzes. in other words if you want to get your humidity to 65% (for example) start by spraying each of your KL containers 5-7 sprays. Now strategically place the containers in the wineador. Let it sit for at least a day and see where the humidity is. If you need more humidity, give it a few additional spritzes. if you accidentally over humidify, just add a little more KL from the bag to bring it back down and let it sit another day. I have found that by doing this you can dial it in to the % you want within 2-3 days.

Important things to consider

- Make sure that your hygrometers are properly calibrated. This sounds basic but many people forget to take this important step.
- Make sure that your spaces are as full as possible. Spanish cedar and cigars will help to regulate your humidity. if you have a lot of empty space you can fill it with empty boxes from your B&M. If your space is empty it will be harder to keep a constant RH.
- When placing your Spanish cedar trays or empty cigar boxes inside, make sure that they are "seasoned". I have seen it happen more than once where someone has put dry boxes or trays into their cooler or wineador and it has made it very hard to stabilize their humidity.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Decisions, decisions....I am using heartfelt beads right now but your instructions sound pretty simple Rupe (and the price difference is notable. My only problem is the with the KL, you have the chance of over humidifying. Yes, you can fix the issue with more KL and re checking levels after a day but I like the simplicity of the HF beads and no chance of over humidifying. With exception to having the beads sitting in standing water lol. The beads are a little pricy but they are a one time purchase or so they say. Unless the beads get clogged with impurities.

Like I said, decisions, decisions. Either way, very nice write up Rupe.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I don't think that you would need to be worried about over humidifying. I have been using KL for almost 2 years now and have never had an issue with that. Once you dial it in and stabilize it, it pretty much remains rock solid at that number. My comment about adding more KL to bring it down was in reference to the set-up process which only takes a couple of days. Once you get it set up and stabilized it is rock solid. The only time that I add water to it is about every other month during the winter because the humidity in my house drops to about 20-25% at that time. In the summer time when the humidity is high here I have no problems with it creeping up in my coolers.

The other thing to think about is that with beads you are limited to 60, 65 0r 70% RH. With KL you can dial it in to any RH number that you want and are not limited by a pre-set number from the factory. if you want 62,63,64,68,73 or whatever you can easily get there.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Great info here, thanks to how ever bumped this thread and for sharing that pm. Looks like I have a trip to wally world tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Gents, thanks for all commenting and giving info on this thread!

Couldnt be more happy with my change to KL and it has been holding rock solid since! And yes at first I was concerned about over humidifying my cooler but after keeping an eye on it for a few weeks, I feel there is no need to worry. If anything for me it drops down 1 or 2% and then I give it a couple DW sprays and its good to go.

Right now I have it in media bags and YES there is a fine layer of dust that comes off of it and is now on the bottom of my cooler. Not very much but when i roll the KL inside the bag in my hands I am left with some dust. For the wineador its gonna go in cedar coffins/tupperware so I dont have to worry about it.

When I first did it I threw in the KL and spritzed straight away and was lucky I guess that the RH came out almost perfect. But I definitely think the best thing to do is leave the KL inside your house or whatever open to the air for a day or two and then put it in your cooler/wineador/humidor dry and see what RH its at before you add any water. Better to start low and work your way up then be sun drying your KL after ;)

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I looked at our petsmart, wal-mart and tractor supply and No one has silica, oderless kitty litter... I just placed an order for more HF beads. I really wanted to give it a try... rural community, not much good for pickins

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm definitely going to have to try this. My fridgidor has not made me happy at all. Maybe this will help before i make a final decision on switching things up. I'm looking into costs on building a wineador and going with something smaller. I think having to much dead space is a lot of my issue.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I think having to much dead space is a lot of my issue.
Wait until you get down here for the HERF and I can fix that for you... My lounge will give me all the boxes I want for free (perk of lounge membership).. Ill go collect up a bunch for you... and bring them out to the pavilion..

Empty boxes is how I "fixed" my cabinet until I was able to actually fill it with full/new boxes..

Ive also got several pounds of spare KL sitting around that I need to find a use for... dont go buy a bag... take a couple of pounds off me....

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I think having to much dead space is a lot of my issue.
Wait until you get down here for the HERF and I can fix that for you... My lounge will give me all the boxes I want for free (perk of lounge membership).. Ill go collect up a bunch for you... and bring them out to the pavilion..

Empty boxes is how I "fixed" my cabinet until I was able to actually fill it with full/new boxes..

Ive also got several pounds of spare KL sitting around that I need to find a use for... dont go buy a bag... take a couple of pounds off me....
I'm definitely up for that! My b&m has given me a few but still not enough. I love the big rocky Patel boxes. And the kristoff boxes.

The freezer part is not being used fur stick storage. Just a few boxes and trays. Also have humidification up there just because.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I looked at our petsmart, wal-mart and tractor supply and No one has silica, oderless kitty litter... I just placed an order for more HF beads. I really wanted to give it a try... rural community, not much good for pickins
Griz, order online at Walmart.com (MiMi Litter brand) and have shipped (free) to your local store for pickup. That way you get the full selection of their online presence but don't have to pay shipping costs. That's what I did, as my local Walmart was out of stock, too!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I'm definitely going to have to try this. My fridgidor has not made me happy at all. Maybe this will help before i make a final decision on switching things up. I'm looking into costs on building a wineador and going with something smaller. I think having to much dead space is a lot of my issue.
Sounds like someone needs a few more bombs. haha

Griz, order online at Walmart.com (MiMi Litter brand) and have shipped (free) to your local store for pickup. That way you get the full selection of their online presence but don't have to pay shipping costs. That's what I did, as my local Walmart was out of stock, too!
That's a good idea, heading there now. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
This what your using?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter-4-lb-Cats/12018928

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been using KL for about a weeks. Started it up with instructions from Rupe and it's been holding at 66 with no change. When I built the wineadore I figured why not try to run KL and if that didn't work I could change over to beads without much money wasted. So far KL is doing what people have said it would.

are these instructions wrote down somewhere, im thinking about going with KL for my coolidor im starting to build tomorrow

Here is a copy of the PM that I sent to Wicket to get him started..........

First off you want to make sure that you start with the right type of KL. It needs to be the crystal type and unscented. Personally I use Mimi litter ($4 for 4 pounds at WalMart) but others have had the same result with the Equisicat brand. Just make sure that it is the crystal style and unscented.

Next you will want to choose the right container. Some people have used nylon stockings or filter media bags to hold it but I have heard a complaint or two regarding dust if you do it this way. It is also a little bit harder to hydrate so what I have found is the best container is a shallow plastic Tupperware style container. In my one cooler I used plastic switch boxes (the type that you would use if you are putting a switch or outlet into your house) but the reason for this was that they fit perfectly into the empty space I had . The ones I use for my other cooler are the smaller containers that lunch meat came in originally. Sandwich size Gladware containers are also a great option. Basically any shallow plastic container will work.

Fill the containers with the KL about 1/2" to 1" deep. A little deeper than that will not hurt however the key is not to have a ton of KL but rather to have as much surface area exposed as possible. then distribute the containers at various locations. For a wineador I would say that you would want to have a couple of containers on the bottom and one or two on the top. if you have space one in the middle would not hurt but if you have some sort of circulation setup in your wineador it probably is not necessary.

Now to hydrate the KL. My suggestion is to go to WalMart and buy a spray bottle. I found one in the housewares section by the ironing supplies for around a buck. Fill the spray bottle with distilled water and spray the water over the top of the KL that is in your container. From my experience, the KL is generally about 60% RH out of the bag and that you can raise the humidity by 1% for every 1-2 spritzes. in other words if you want to get your humidity to 65% (for example) start by spraying each of your KL containers 5-7 sprays. Now strategically place the containers in the wineador. Let it sit for at least a day and see where the humidity is. If you need more humidity, give it a few additional spritzes. if you accidentally over humidify, just add a little more KL from the bag to bring it back down and let it sit another day. I have found that by doing this you can dial it in to the % you want within 2-3 days.

Important things to consider

- Make sure that your hygrometers are properly calibrated. This sounds basic but many people forget to take this important step.
- Make sure that your spaces are as full as possible. Spanish cedar and cigars will help to regulate your humidity. if you have a lot of empty space you can fill it with empty boxes from your B&M. If your space is empty it will be harder to keep a constant RH.
- When placing your Spanish cedar trays or empty cigar boxes inside, make sure that they are "seasoned". I have seen it happen more than once where someone has put dry boxes or trays into their cooler or wineador and it has made it very hard to stabilize their humidity.
This is probably the most definitive post on KL...I can remember PM'ing Rupe on the use of KL and how to use it. Glad he's reduced it to this post for everybody and don't mind another person to talk about the virtues of using KL. I've been one to preach about it for sometime with some who got tired of reading the posts....but you can't debate the merits of something that works so well.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I was very hesitant before but I decided to give it a try. I put it in yesterday and it has been rock solid at 67%. I think I may become a believer.