What's new

Luckysaturn13 s Dog Rocket Reviews!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
OMG. This has been a very bad week on my end with deaths! I remember when @multi-useless and Aaron first joined this forum. First met you guys in Chat back when chat was hopping. We often spoke about "dog rockets" and the cheaper side of cigars. My PRAYERS out to Aaron's family that they are comforted and helped through this horrible time. Times like this leaves me without the right words.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I shared with Jamie earlier in text, but it is time to post up here. I did not know Aaron very well though he lived a short distance from me. We had talked of meeting up to herf or even v herfing before life became very hectic for him and he took a break from the board. He was one of my first friends here.
This tragedy shows us that we should never take tomorrow for ganted. Let us all take a moment this week to reflect on those we have lost over the years and remember the greatness that was Luckysaturn13!
To those that knew him better than i, i am deeply sorry for what you may be going through. I will keep his family in my heart.
RIP my friend. Hope you are smoking one looking down on us all!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had a long post written out but it just didn't feel right. While I didn't know Aaron, I will miss him. This thread is a part of my life. I truly love it. It brings me such joy every year. Even though I've been unable to enjoy cigars as much, this thread has kept me involved.

Today I will smoke a disgustingly putrid cigar in memory.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Aaron introduced me to BOTL after Puff went POOF for the sixth time. He too was my first bro on our fine forum. He was a damn nice guy. :( And if not for him, I probably don't have two other best brothers in MO: Eran @EO80 and Jamie @multi-useless . Nor would there have been that epic Vegas herf, or the SWMO2 herf. Nor would I have EVER burned some of history's most horrific cigars (e.g. the venerable Ron Mexico and St. Croix Hazelnut). ;)

Burning a fine cigar in A-aron's memory right now. :) Rest In Peace @luckysaturn. We don't know the day or the hour...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, today I smoked an Erin Go Bragh on my way to work. I dont normally smoke in my truck as it's a stick. I didn't really enjoy it. It wasnt that the cigar was horrible. I mean, it WAS, but that didn't affect the experience. It simply wasnt a good atmosphere. Perhaps if my radio worked, or if I had an automatic. Maybe if my shocks weren't shot and my exhaust didn't rattle. Normally, these things don't bother me. I think that I simply didn't like smoking in my truck. So that happened.

Now the Erin Go Bragh (or as I call it, the Erin Go Blech) is touted as an irish whiskey cigar. I dont know what marketing genius thought this up, but they should have at least known what irish whiskey TASTES LIKE. This thing was about as irish whiskey as a bottle of Manischewitz.

The first third was tolerable. Not good, but not bad. What little smoke it produced was mild and not very flavorful. Very thin smoke. Not as creamy as I prefer. A gasoline fire compared to diesel one could say. Underwhelming but not unexpected.

During the second third, I looked for the whiskey profile to stand out and a few times I thought I noted it. It reminded me of the wood tipped Swisher Sweets I loved during high school. But without that saccharine taste. I enjoyed this third more because I was on the interstate and didn't have to shift. Coffee and cigar on the way to work? Yes, please. THIS cigar, maybe not...

The final third and I was wondering where to dispose of this thing. It lasted entirely too long. I was done with her and ready to regain my tastebuds. Some kind of switch got flipped and the cigar went awful for this third. I'm not sure why, but the final third was producing a quality smoke, but intolerable flavor. It was absolutely unlike any irish whiskey I've ever had, and I have had some REALLY bad whiskeys.

All in all, a disappointing ride to work. Not bad, because even a bad cigar is better than no cigar, but I just felt let down by the whole thing. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a decent cigar and see what comes of it. Any tips from the pros?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I spent several hours yesterday trying to track down a Panama Red #5 with no luck. Hit some discount smokes places, many with bars on the windows, grocery stores in the bad part of town, and even my usual B&M. Didnt really expect to find anything there, but asked them for the worst cigar they carried, just to get their reaction... pretty funny really, they hemmed and hawed about which cigar was a little disappointing, which was a little out-of-character for the brand, etc. I finally stopped them and gave a brief synopsis of a dog rocket pass, just to give an idea of the low quality I was searching for, and got quite a laugh from them. They did inquire "what the hell is wrong with you guys", btw...

Ended up with some sort of "cuban second" from a liquor store. It's obviously not Cuban, and doubtful it's a second. More likely a 3rd, 4th, or 5th, and was probably rejected by the donkey that carried the tobacco from the field. Wont have time to smoke it today, but will give her a shot later this week...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ok, I've been trying to delay this by getting a brisket on the smoker, which is a process that I've managed to grossly exaggerate into a several hour project. Can't hide behind that now, its on...

So the "Cuban #2" (I think that's what it was called) I bought to smoke in LuckySaturn13s honor has all the feel of a paper yard waste bag stuffed with raked leaves. The aroma is hay-like. Not the pleasant sweet hay you feed to a race horse, but more the urine-soaked hay that's in the bottom of the stall. Yes, a definite hint of parking garage stairwell, where the homeless like to relieve themselves.
20190110_133702.jpg
A pre-light draw is fortunately piss-free, but has a vegetable flavor, reminiscent of cabbage, broccoli, or maybe brussel sprouts. I like those things, just have never considered smoking them before.

Initial draws were sweet hay, and not in a bad way. I can still smell the horse stall second hand, but fortunately it's not on the palate. It quite suddenly goes bitter, coating the whole mouth like bile. Burn is horrible, immediately canoeing and struggling to stay lit.
20190110_135422.jpg
Midway, it briefly goes to shit. Manure. Barnyard. Alternating with peppery bitterness. Burnt tire. My tongue is starting to hurt a little...

As I near the final 1/3rd, getting some unraveling. Burnt tire changes to railroad tie. Creosote. Was playing fetch with the dog during this, but he wont bring the ball back anymore.
20190110_141029.jpg
Ok, I'm struggling here. If not for the glory displayed by my forebearers, I would have quit long ago. I plan to nub this thing, but its hard to know when to stop. One side is nearly to my fingers, the other is unburnt 2" up. Suddenly sour lemon and Red Hot candy. Is that possible? The dog now has a hobo hankerchief tied to a stick and looks to be heading to the neighbors to live.

The cigar is badly coming apart, and can best be described as a sock stuffed with sawdust or maybe "flaccid". 20190110_142744.jpg One last draw convinces me I'm done. Menthol with a hint of dead, ripe mouse. The dog returns, apparently fearing for my safety, and proceeds to attack me. I'll trust his better judgement and tap out...20190110_143145.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I believe you should consider yourself fortunate, even setting aside all the other taste sensations you described, I doubt one other person alive in the world today has experienced red hots and ripe mouse. You are 1 in 7 billion!!

LMAO
And that's why this thread is so awesome - some day, somewhere, someone is going to look for the smell coming from under the kitchen sink and ask themselves, "should I empty that mouse trap, or just sprinkle some red hots on it?" And it will be because we blazed that trail for them to follow :ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Also, look what I found
View attachment 129404

An almost full box of THE Panama Red blend no 5, completely neglected (aged?) in a closet since I moved into my house in April 2015. I think we should do something epic with these
Unhumidified along with the ron mexicos? I think one of these needs to be blasted into the sky for Lucky. And i feel like it has got to be done for sure this year to kick this thing off.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Was that the closet with all the old, smelly shoes or the coat storage with mothballs? If both, those could make Glassman's toxic rockets seem tame...

Those would bestow eternal glory! And a permanent nervous twitch...
It was the closet with old hockey jerseys from past rec leagues... also some foam footballs, some other dog rockets, my Cinderella dress and wig, an electric manscaper that I'd forgotten that I own until I was digging through the closet this morning, and a couple plastic bags that I think are just trash that I haven't thrown out yet, but didn't bother to check the contents