What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My latest batch, all Ecuadorian Seco wrapper. They look a bit lumpy in the photo. It must be the shadows. They look much smoother in person.

View attachment 160512
Shoot them in strong shade, outdoors, late day. Strong shade meaning there's a high lumen value in it, but no direct sunlight. E.g. you're in the shade of one wall but sunlight is reflecting through that shade from another wall to pump up its light value.

This results in a good, natural color with no exaggerated seam or bump shadows.

This is the dead-opposite of the marcL strong-flash technique which blasts out the shadows, creates the impression of shine, and results in false coloration.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Shoot them in strong shade, outdoors, late day. Strong shade meaning there's a high lumen value in it, but no direct sunlight. E.g. you're in the shade of one wall but sunlight is reflecting through that shade from another wall to pump up its light value.

This is the dead-opposite of the marcL strong-flash technique which blasts out the shadows, creates the impression of shine, and results in false coloration.
Holy Crap ! Cigars and photography ! A true renascence man.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Can't even think where I would do that, round here.
I tend to be constrained by props, setting & timing. Timing = I just rolled 'em and here's the pic. Setting = , for example, the forest mural on my office wall, my black formica desk top, the wife's poster pic of Black Water Falls set in the faux window of the cedar lined smoking porch, the sandstone slab from Utah, a murdersickle in the garage, or etc. Props =

, kewl ashtrays, herramientos del torcedor, etc.

Got a new Samsung tablet yesterday to replace the aged tablet. Cameras improve tremendously as we go along. Especially, you get better controls each time. I'll need to learn this one. Prolly do a better job than my phone.

Most of all, time I take a pic, I prolly just finished the roll & in a hurry to show it off, or else about to spark the gar & eager to get on with it, so I don't take the time or effort. I merely snap in lieu of photograph. Can't expect results that way.

Preciate the tippage.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can't even think where I would do that, round here.
I tend to be constrained by props, setting & timing. Timing = I just rolled 'em and here's the pic. Setting = , for example, the forest mural on my office wall, my black formica desk top, the wife's poster pic of Black Water Falls set in the faux window of the cedar lined smoking porch, the sandstone slab from Utah, a murdersickle in the garage, or etc. Props =

View attachment 160546

, kewl ashtrays, herramientos del torcedor, etc.

Got a new Samsung tablet yesterday to replace the aged tablet. Cameras improve tremendously as we go along. Especially, you get better controls each time. I'll need to learn this one. Prolly do a better job than my phone.

Most of all, time I take a pic, I prolly just finished the roll & in a hurry to show it off, or else about to spark the gar & eager to get on with it, so I don't take the time or effort. I merely snap in lieu of photograph. Can't expect results that way.

Preciate the tippage.
I totally understand your sentiments here. I'm just providing a way to get a pro-studio lighting look without any gear. Anyway, the typical scenario where you might find such a situation is in an alleyway or between two houses or a shed and a fence, etc. One could carry props outside on one's cutting board.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Talk about what you did for a series please?
A friend was hired as a “tobaccania consultant” by the studio and he came to me to see if I could roll cigars for the series. I was asked to roll cheroots as a period correct item for one of the lead characters personas. Due to tobacco restrictions on set I had to use honeyrose as filler but was still able to wrap with tobacco wrapper leaves. I did some in candela and some with habano. I tried to add photos I took of what I rolled but I can’t get them to post here for some reason

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend was hired as a “tobaccania consultant” by the studio and he came to me to see if I could roll cigars for the series. I was asked to roll cheroots as a period correct item for one of the lead characters personas. Due to tobacco restrictions on set I had to use honeyrose as filler but was still able to wrap with tobacco wrapper leaves. I did some in candela and some with habano. I tried to add photos I took of what I rolled but I can’t get them to post here for some reason
That really is something now, it doesn't sound like you will be seen on film but, your cheroots will. Let us know how we will be able to spot them if you can. very interesting!