What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! and the thicker it is, the more time it will want.
Well... hydration .... when I bought my tobacco her a few moths ago with the biggest cigar producer here in Honduras, the guy who showed me around told me that veins are no problem.... " there are tricks for that "he told me !!!
I saw all the wrapping torcedores having very colored fingers, and they where not coloring their wrappers like they sometimes do. Even when you submerge your leave you don't that coloration.
I tried to hold the leave in vapor but it still dried out very soon. Then I said ... what the heck .. i trew the leave in the hot water ....when I spread it out, I could not believe the result. The leave unfolded like I never saw before.
The water colored a lot, so first I put some scrap tobacco in the water to avoid discoloring. Rolled wrapped 10 cigars this way and the veins are nearly completely gone, even with the CT-leaves.
Drying now ... will put some pics later. My fingers where colored the same way I saw in the factory.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well... hydration .... when I bought my tobacco her a few moths ago with the biggest cigar producer here in Honduras, the guy who showed me around told me that veins are no problem.... " there are tricks for that "he told me !!!
I saw all the wrapping torcedores having very colored fingers, and they where not coloring their wrappers like they sometimes do. Even when you submerge your leave you don't that coloration.
I tried to hold the leave in vapor but it still dried out very soon. Then I said ... what the heck .. i trew the leave in the hot water ....when I spread it out, I could not believe the result. The leave unfolded like I never saw before.
The water colored a lot, so first I put some scrap tobacco in the water to avoid discoloring. Rolled wrapped 10 cigars this way and the veins are nearly completely gone, even with the CT-leaves.
Drying now ... will put some pics later. My fingers where colored the same way I saw in the factory.

Hot Water!

How long?
How hot?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Uppowoc Maks:

We got here is Honduran seco and viso from LO, and Dom olor, bound in CT shade, and wrapped with a beautiful mata fina. Named the gar for Maks, whose mold made it in a snap. The band is a panorama of Lake Bleda in Slovenia, which seems to be the standard tourist trap over there.

Got all side-tracked while I was looking for more leaves to pack up and mail off to @Hopduro, along with that FX Smith's CT shade I promised him, when I ran onto this incredible mata fina wrapper. I have no idea where I got the stuff, other than it's in an old WLT bag... but that could have been repackaged, so... Tremendous stuff. Just hard to believe a leaf could grow this delicate. Had to stop and roll a pair of cigars using Maks' mold, which you see there, the stick sitting atop it. Can't wait to smoke one of these. Man, don't I miss Bliss's pics. MarcL could make an awe inspiring cigar with this wrapper, and Bliss could set it to music in a video.

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I went one step further in my experiment and soaked the leaves for 3 min. in water of 40C ( 104 F). Now there was nearly no coloring of the water.
I think it was maybe a bit more difficult to spread the veins, but I never wrapped so easy and so beautiful. So no need for cooking water.
The Honduras Viso wrapper, after spreading , cutting, I cloud nearly just roll up. with no pulling on the cigar.
By spreading it, it stays so stretched on my stainless steel sheet, that you can almost roll it up.
With the Ecuadorian Viso Shade (LO), a thicker leave, I could pull a bit harder on the cigar.
The seams and overlay are nearly invisible on the cigar.
Most important, I did not tear up a wrapper. I think it is the time that the leave is exposed to execs humidity that make it fragile.
Another big advantage is the preparation time, in 3 min. you wrappers are ready !
Will post some pics later.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Today I went one step further in my experiment and soaked the leaves for 3 min. in water of 40C ( 104 F). Now there was nearly no coloring of the water.
I think it was maybe a bit more difficult to spread the veins, but I never wrapped so easy and so beautiful. So no need for cooking water.
The Honduras Viso wrapper, after spreading , cutting, I cloud nearly just roll up. with no pulling on the cigar.
By spreading it, it stays so stretched on my stainless steel sheet, that you can almost roll it up.
With the Ecuadorian Viso Shade (LO), a thicker leave, I could pull a bit harder on the cigar.
The seams and overlay are nearly invisible on the cigar.
Most important, I did not tear up a wrapper. I think it is the time that the leave is exposed to execs humidity that make it fragile.
Another big advantage is the preparation time, in 3 min. you wrappers are ready !
Will post some pics later.
Question from as guy who knows nothing: they say that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper leaf, so how does this hot water soaking affect flavor of said leaf?

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question from as guy who knows nothing: they say that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper leaf, so how does this hot water soaking affect flavor of said leaf?
I think 3 min in 40 C water will do no harm, but time will tell !!
I don't share the opinion that the wrapper gives you most of the flavor, maybe to some extend yes ...
When I was in rural Cuba the old farmers rolled cigars without wrapper, no need for that they said !!!