What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll just add my 2 cents: I started messing with hot water and steam with rough leaf a couple years ago and it gave excellent results, but I felt something of the flavor was lost. Later I segued to complete cold water dips and this gave me the same results as the hot dips but seemed less deleterious to the flavor. I do a complete cold soak, then I hang them by the stem inside a plastic bag to let them completely drain. Then I open and flatten them and rest them overnight. Then I give them a thigh stretch and if it's a thick leaf, I do the "scroll and freeze," AKA "Raod Warior" method (which I noticed they do at other places like Martinez and Tabanero). Obviously way more work than dipping in hot water for three minutes. But I enjoy the process.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I'll just add my 2 cents: I started messing with hot water and steam with rough leaf a couple years ago and it gave excellent leaf prep results, but I felt something of the flavor was lost. Later I segued to complete cold water dips and this gave me the same results as the hot dips but seemed less deleterious to the flavor. I do a complete cold soak, then I hang them by the stem inside a plastic bag to let them completely drain. Then I open and flatten them and rest them overnight. Then I give them a thigh stretch and if it's a thick leaf, I do the "scroll and freeze," AKA "Raod Warior" method (which I noticed they do at other places like Martinez and Tabanero). Obviously way more work than dipping in hot water for three minutes. But I enjoy the process.
I should do that whole scrolling thing... did we discuss how that helps?

Sent from Webmost's phone

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I should do that whole scrolling thing... did we discuss how that helps?

Makes your leaf lie flat. Probably not that important, since we stretch the leaf out and wrap it taughtly and tightly around a bunch. But it does seem pleasant to be dealing with a stack of flat-lying wrapper when you start your rolling sesh. Seeing that guys I admire like Martinez and Tabanero do that was enough for me to give it a try.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Makes your leaf lie flat. Probably not that important, since we stretch the leaf out and wrap it taughtly and tightly around a bunch. But it does seem pleasant to be dealing with a stack of flat-lying wrapper when you start your rolling sesh. Seeing that guys I admire like Martinez and Tabanero do that was enough for me to give it a try.
Hmmmmm works well for you? Might have to give that a shot. Almost did it last time but decided it might screw something up

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the leaves the first time for 1 min in hot water.
Second time for 3 min in 40 C water, with nearly the same result, but without losing color.
I soak them in 2" of water and put something on them stay under the water. I fold leaf by leaf in 3 and stack them up like that.
Later I put the leaves in a strainer, because with a plate the last is soaking to much.
When I spread them out, I cut my strip and then I crush the veins with a plastic 1.5" pipe. From the middle towards the outside, so you remove a lot of water from the leave.
It is easier tho crush the veins after you cut your strip. Also important is crushing perpendicular on the veins and fist good streching.
This way, wrapping is a piece of cake.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First mold I got custom made was a 44 so I could do 44 x 5.5, which seems like an ideal form in a lot of ways; and I always feel a lonsdale-girth cigar feels good in the hand and lips. And yet they are often too much tobacco for me, and so I've shifted to the 40-42 corona-mareva range as my preferred smoke. Even if I could have my commercial cigar of choice for free, I'd go for those little 42-gauge Cohibas.

My random hunch is that, for gifts, people probably like to see more girth, like a robusto. "Ah, there's a real cigar!" ;)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
First mold I got custom made was a 44 so I could do 44 x 5.5, which seems like an ideal form in a lot of ways; and I always feel a lonsdale-girth cigar feels good in the hand and lips. And yet they are often too much tobacco for me, and so I've shifted to the 40-42 corona-mareva range as my preferred smoke. Even if I could have my commercial cigar of choice for free, I'd go for those little 42-gauge Cohibas.

My random hunch is that, for gifts, people probably like to see more girth, like a robusto. "Ah, there's a real cigar!" ;)
Funny you mention that. That is actually the only reason I traded with Web for the 50rg mold I have. So many people asking for robusto and toro sized cigars. I enjoy them on occasion, but not enough to roll them for myself. In fact, I like the sticks that come out of my 40rg mold better than any others.