What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
@8ball. My brother! That is fucking fantastic! I am very proud of you. The first year has a lot of ups and downs and it is so awesome that stayed around long enough to to let the miracle happen. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Looks like I'm dealing with a sewer line backup. My neighbor just had her front yard dug up last week and cost her $3000. Contacting my plumber now.

Point is, I'm still at peace and not even thinking of drinking. This is just life coming up and no falling into self pity. Pray, deal with things with a rational mindset, and don't let things linger.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I began watching and listening to sober people during meetings and seeing how they maintain sobriety thru tremendous adversity.
When I was about 2 years sober a dear AA friend lost her 3 small children on Memorial Day when they were hit and dismembered by a train. How do alcoholics stay sober through something so tragic? I watched her closely, visited with her, cried with her, prayed with her and spent a lot of time just being there and listening to her. The answer was she worked, practiced and lived the program. It was a few months before I saw a genuine smile on her face, but she stayed sober and helped many AA members and while she relocated over 10 years ago, I am sure she continues to carry and share the message of experience, strength and hope. Taking a drink is not a solution.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I began watching and listening to sober people during meetings and seeing how they maintain sobriety thru tremendous adversity.
When I was about 2 years sober a dear AA friend lost her 3 small children on Memorial Day when they were hit and dismembered by a train. How do alcoholics stay sober through something so tragic? I watched her closely, visited with her, cried with her, prayed with her and spent a lot of time just being there and listening to her. The answer was she worked, practiced and lived the program. It was a few months before I saw a genuine smile on her face, but she stayed sober and helped many AA members and while she relocated over 10 years ago, I am sure she continues to carry and share the message of experience, strength and hope. Taking a drink is not a solution.
Good stuff right here. This is what miracles are.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Taking a drink is not a solution.
Amen, Smokey! (y) For me (90 days and 90 meetings today :) ), life's challenges are still front-and-center despite sobriety. Some problems (usually the self-inflicted ones) are downright painful. Which reminds me of that joke, what does SOBER stand for? "Son of a Bitch, Everything's Real!" But thank GOD that I have a REAL SOLUTION in the program. Real tools to help me not pick up TODAY. Real friends to talk to. Real hope. Shout-out to all the brothers on this thread (@zama80 , @8ball and @THEMISCHMAN , et. al.) for throwing down the gauntlet and challenging me to go to my first meeting! I would not have done it without your encouragement...

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Amen, Smokey! (y) For me (90 days and 90 meetings today :) ), life's challenges are still front-and-center despite sobriety. Some problems (usually the self-inflicted ones) are downright painful. Which reminds me of that joke, what does SOBER stand for? "Son of a Bitch, Everything's Real!" But thank GOD that I have a REAL SOLUTION in the program. Real tools to help me not pick up TODAY. Real friends to talk to. Real hope. Shout-out to all the brothers on this thread (@zama80 , @8ball and @THEMISCHMAN , et. al.) for throwing down the gauntlet and challenging me to go to my first meeting! I would not have done it without your encouragement...
I don't know you, but i do know that 90 days between drinks is a really, really long time for a drunk. Glad to hear you're doing lots of meetings, too. That's the way to do it. Keep it up, brother!

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
It's official guys, today is my first birthday, one year sober! Never in a million years could I even imagine this. Went through some ups and downs, but never picked up. I read steps 10 & 11 every day. "What we have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition". AA really works, it does! I don't even think about it anymore, BUT, I still have to do my homework everyday, and I'll be going to meetings for the rest of my life. Meetings have become like church now. I really love the book studies.
What a second chance I've been given.
Recently, I've had to adjust my schedule to get my kids on the bus (I go to bed at 2 am). What would have been a resentment is now a blessing as I get to see them every morning. Recognizing and praying about my character defects within myself has given me a completely new outlook on life. The hate and bitterness is gone, and when it does come up, I address it quickly (why am I mad, what is my part?). To any new person reading this, know that I was you at one time, and there is hope. You don't need to be a dry drunk (not drinking, but hating life). It's amazing to go from wishing I would die to "what can I pack into the stream of life?"

I'm always here to chat if anyone needs to, and I've officially dealt with that first year which is full of doubt, misunderstanding, and later self confidence (yeah, that's a bad one when you think "you" got this).

Happy Friday everyone. Smoking a pardon 1926 tonight given to me by my good friend @ZippoGeek
Congratulations my man! Yeah the first year has a lot of self searching in it. Getting used to "unfamiliar waters" finding yourself. Keep working it, I am proud of you.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
So guys, good stuff here. Plumber came over, had to cut a discharge pipe, snaked all the lines, and all is well. A potentially $3000+ job turned into $200. Moral of the story, I didn't even think of drinking, not one bit. This would have given me an excuse to drink before (of course I always searched for a reason, good or bad). The program works, and hey, even if it would have been a major job, I still thanked God for providing me with a roof, two good cars, heat & food, and my family.

The hilarious thing is that it was me calming my wife down and not vice versa as in the past.

Let go and let God, brothers!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm currently scared to death. My back is a worthless piece of shit today…so much pain. I've dealt with that before. What scares me is the day ahead—chasing down my toddler all day today. Wish me luck, brothers.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm currently scared to death. My back is a worthless piece of shit today…so much pain. I've dealt with that before. What scares me is the day ahead—chasing down my toddler all day today. Wish me luck, brothers.
Good luck brother! I've heard that back pain is among the worst kind of pain. Feel better and take solace in the fact that today you're sober! (y)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That sucks bro. Hope it eases off soon.