What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Today is my 26th Sobriety birthday. On page 91 of the 12x12 it says , "we will do well in remembering, today we are sober only by the grace Of God and any success we may be having is far more his success than ours."
I love that.
Amen, brother -- congratulations! (y) I hope you're burning something great...:cigar:

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Today is my 26th Sobriety birthday. On page 91 of the 12x12 it says , "we will do well in remembering, today we are sober only by the grace Of God and any success we may be having is far more his success than ours."
I love that.
Yeah right. C'mon. Nobody stays sober that long.

On the serious tip, that's outstanding. Thanks for expressing your gratitude. (I always felt that was more appropriate than "congratulations.") What are you going to do to celebrate? As you may remember a couple months back, I celebrated my 25th with a Chicago Cubs World Series Game Seven W!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Yeah right. C'mon. Nobody stays sober that long.

On the serious tip, that's outstanding. Thanks for expressing your gratitude. (I always felt that was more appropriate than "congratulations.") What are you going to do to celebrate? As you may remember a couple months back, I celebrated my 25th with a Chicago Cubs World Series Game Seven W!
I am going to a noon meeting and every year my wife and my kids take me out to eat. After all sobriety has affected their lives as much as
It has mine.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm struggling brothers. Nothing in particular just dealing with my brain.
I've learned that in my brain is not a safe place to be at all. I have to focus on positive things, even if that means sitting down and doing a gratitude list. Also, I have to keep myself occupied with things that get me out of my head. Hobbies like sports, exercise, reading, etc... when our son died a few years ago we got into doing paint by number paintings. They are super complex and do a great job of getting me out of my own head. So, don't stay there. Think of the blessings and get out and do things.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've learned that in my brain is not a safe place to be at all. I have to focus on positive things, even if that means sitting down and doing a gratitude list. Also, I have to keep myself occupied with things that get me out of my head. Hobbies like sports, exercise, reading, etc... when our son died a few years ago we got into doing paint by number paintings. They are super complex and do a great job of getting me out of my own head. So, don't stay there. Think of the blessings and get out and do things.
Thanks for the advice I'm heading straight to the hockey rink after work.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Do you have a sponsor to talk to? Or any phone #'s you can call? When is the next meeting in your area? When they say "willing to go to any length", that means taking action, not stinkin thinking.
If you realize it or not, you have 2 choices. 1) you can either go to a meeting and share what you are going through and then listen to responses. It's a learning process and you will learn what exactly is bothering you. Then you can talk about it with your sponsor and work through it so it won't pop up again.
2) Stay home and listen to the crap your alcohol-ISM is telling you.
I hope you get up and choose recovery!
You are in my prayers my friend. I say the above because I love ya. We all go thru this same stuff. We either work the solution or we stay sick.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Hit one of us up anytime brother! I truly identify with what you're talking about (being in one's brain). It's a scary place to be sometimes and I'm feeling it today in particular :shifty:. Thinking about taking care of myself in the long term (I've got some serious health issues that I know are completely out of my control). But here I sit anyway, ruminating and worrying instead of praying. So in a few minutes I'm going to go burn one, pray and "let go..let God."

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have done it all on my own and that need to change. The first part of sobering up was actually not bad. It was a few months in I began to struggle with having a massive chemical imbalance. I just feel flat. Today I felt hopeless. I did talk to my employer and she was helpful. She knows what I am dealing with. I truly appreciate you kind brothers for reaching out. Talk about a brotherhood. It's funny because I don't have a problem with pressure from others or triggers that are around me. It is my own fucked up head that makes me think it would be easier to just be fucked up all day again.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
It was a few months in I began to struggle with having a massive chemical imbalance. I just feel flat. Today I felt hopeless.
One of the reasons I drank was to self-medicate; I have terrible bipolar disorder and depression in general. My baseline mood is now quite happy and content. But it took many years of medication adjustments and patience to get dialed-in.