What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Gents, I'm no expert but by the time I quit drinking, I was buying a 1.75L bottle of Jim Beam at the base package store every other day. That's just what I drank at the house to prime myself for the bar. I don't know how to track what I had while out.
Anyway, when I figured out I needed to stop, I traded the bottle out for the gym. I worked out to failure every day, often twice daily and a couple days it was three times. I needed a vent and something else to occupy the time, and after all that exercise, I still passed out at night.
I cannot tell you what to do, but I'd recommend finding something else to do with the time, something that will help you to sleep at night, and know that this too shall pass.
That was 1997 for me. You can do this too.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What's new gentlemen? Hope you're all doing well! I feel like my program is stuck in neutral somewhat, due to some scheduling issues with my sponsor the last few weeks. Hoping to get back on track when we meet this Sunday. In the interim, going to meetings every morning has been keeping me sober! (y)
I've been doing this over 25 years now; and the feeling of neutrality is something that I've certainly experienced before. It starts to feel like serenity after a while. I start to accept that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, just living sober. Enjoy the ride. There's a favorite saying of mine a guy in Albuquerque used to say: I wish you a long and slow recovery.

Sent back in time from Dr. Hoppy's phone using thinkatalk.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've been doing this over 25 years now; and the feeling of neutrality is something that I've certainly experienced before. It starts to feel like serenity after a while. I start to accept that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, just living sober. Enjoy the ride. There's a favorite saying of mine a guy in Albuquerque used to say: I wish you a long and slow recovery.

Thanks J!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah mine has hit a bit of a stale/neutral state. But, still go to meetings and also kinda just consider it living sober. Until bumps in the road or whatever prompt me to repeat some step work. :) So glad you brothers are here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I remember the "stalest" time in my sobriety. I was in basic training. Life was a waking nightmare. Constant sleep deprivation, forced to workout until we puked everyday (then the drill sergeants would have us roll around in the puke sand and wear those pukey clothes all day), monotonous classroom lectures, complete separation from the support network I'd relief on, chronic pain and discomfort and exhaustion, and worst of all when i prayed I felt like I was just sending it out to nothing…just words into the emptiness. For a couple weeks I felt this way. Then, one day, I look out to the horizon and see the absolute most beautiful sunset ever. Right then I knew that even though I couldn't feel what i wanted to feel, I wasn't alone and I was OK.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Want to take a quick second to make a plug for something that is close to my heart—The AA Grapevine, our "meeting in print." Most have probably seen or read an issue or two, some might even subscribe. But do you ever hear the calls for submissions? They are always looking for people to contribute. Be it a personal story; a topic for a special section; musings or essays on steps, traditions, meetings, sponsorship or any other facet of recovery; funny or serious tales…they are always asking for submissions. Now ask yourself, if this is a meeting in print, and you never share yourself, how much more could you be getting out of it? Participation is key in meetings, printed or in person. Here's a great chance to participate in your own recovery a little more! Have a great night, friends.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Want to take a quick second to make a plug for something that is close to my heart—The AA Grapevine, our "meeting in print." Most have probably seen or read an issue or two, some might even subscribe. But do you ever hear the calls for submissions? They are always looking for people to contribute. Be it a personal story; a topic for a special section; musings or essays on steps, traditions, meetings, sponsorship or any other facet of recovery; funny or serious tales…they are always asking for submissions. Now ask yourself, if this is a meeting in print, and you never share yourself, how much more could you be getting out of it? Participation is key in meetings, printed or in person. Here's a great chance to participate in your own recovery a little more! Have a great night, friends.

Excellent point brother. My wife just started getting a subscription she got as a birthday present and I hadn't thought about that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, bros & sisters! I don't know if I need to start this as a new thread, but.....my husband and I got offered a free trip to Dominican Republic through work; all inclusive....swim up bars.....the first thing I thought was, " man, there is gonna be booze galore!!! Wonder if we should accept." He did not want to go. But we're going! Hopefully I can find AA.

And.....any suggestions on cigars I might be able to pick? And can anyone tell me if there is AA mtg close?
Thanks!

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Good morning my brothers! How is everyone? Anyone have a desire to drink today? If you do, hit me up before you take that first drink. I just got back from visiting my daughter and son in law. Would not have been possible if I was still drinking. Took my 83 year old mother with me. I would not be able to help her as much as I do if I were still drinking. Sobriety is blessing. Have a great day...or at least a sober one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Anyone have a desire to drink today?
A little bit, because I'm going out to a favorite restaurant with good friends tonight. At times like this, I tend to experience those cunning "remember whens." Like, "Remember when you could enjoy wine with dinner?" So I'm just sitting here preparing myself, playing the tape to the end. Me drinking wine at dinner never stopped with one glass. It was always the whole damn bottle. With slurred speech to follow, frustrated looks from my wife (who knew she'd be driving home), stumbling to the car and passing out on the couch afterwards. I was always so predictable. So grateful for this program and all its tools, the camaraderie and my revived connection to my higher power. The 3rd Step Prayer is really helping me get through these times as well. Thanks for listening brothers...

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
A little bit, because I'm going out to a favorite restaurant with good friends tonight. At times like this, I tend to experience those cunning "remember whens." Like, "Remember when you could enjoy wine with dinner?" So I'm just sitting here preparing myself, playing the tape to the end. Me drinking wine at dinner never stopped with one glass. It was always the whole damn bottle. With slurred speech to follow, frustrated looks from my wife (who knew she'd be driving home), stumbling to the car and passing out on the couch afterwards. I was always so predictable. So grateful for this program and all its tools, the camaraderie and my revived connection to my higher power. The 3rd Step Prayer is really helping me get through these times as well. Thanks for listening brothers...
You are not alone. I had the exact same uneasiness. Good that you are playing that drink through to it's logical conclusion. Stay strong and think of what you HAVE now as opposed what your disease tells you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro