What's new

Sobriety Thread

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well thanks man.

Glad you got a streak going. It's gets easier, but it's definitely not easy, especially in the early goings. Just stay busy with meetings and family etc. Idle hands can fuck shit up.

I'm proud of you brother!
Thanks man. And sorry about the unpersonalized note. I was in a rush and sending multiple packages. Family and kids are HUGE motivators right now. Meetings and the big book have really been therapeutic and enlightening.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Wow, brothers I feel really bad, and I owe you all an apology, especially you 8ball. I started this thread almost two years ago, and this past 8 months or so I have not meet my responsibility to keep on top of it. I am sorry for that and I will do better going forward. 8ball my brother, I know we haven't interacted at all but I am so thankful that you are getting help and are on the road to sobriety. If you ever need to talk I am available. I will message you my number. My wife is going through some health issues right now, but catching up on this thread has given me a lift. Thank you all for sharing. If anyone else needs to talk, send me a message. My name Curtis, and I am an alcoholic.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Wow, brothers I feel really bad, and I owe you all an apology, especially you 8ball. I started this thread almost two years ago, and this past 8 months or so I have not meet my responsibility to keep on top of it. I am sorry for that and I will do better going forward. 8ball my brother, I know we haven't interacted at all but I am so thankful that you are getting help and are on the road to sobriety. If you ever need to talk I am available. I will message you my number. My wife is going through some health issues right now, but catching up on this thread has given me a lift. Thank you all for sharing. If anyone else needs to talk, send me a message. My name Curtis, and I am an alcoholic.
Thanks Curtis. No problem on not being able to keep up. If it wasn't for you, this thread may have never come up.

On a happy note, I had a blast with my son doing mini golf today. It's the first thing we've done just me and him in about 8 months. I feel horrible about that, but blessed that I'm realizing this now and taking actions to correct it before it's too late.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Had a big wake up call today. I'm at 25 days today, and my parents threw a sweet 16 party for my niece. Not thinking about it, a lot of my sisters friends and family members were over and the booze came out. Not to worry, I had none. However, vodka, wine, beer, and whiskey were out and almost everyone was drinking and talking about different beers. My sponsor told me to hold off a little before discussing it with my parents, but I did tell them I'm not drinking anymore and would appreciate it if they didn't offer any to me. Well, after the first hour, it was all that was on my mind, and I started to get a knot in my stomach and thinking about drinking non stop. After presents and the old happy birthday song, I excused myself and went home (my wife and I drove separate due to the Super Bowl). I came home, and chatted with my sponsor for a good 20 minutes. Today was not easy or comfortable, but I made it. While I knew I wasn't going to drink, it made me real uncomfortable. Thankfully this is a rare family occasion where booze comes out, but man, I can't wait till this gets easier. regardless, I concentrated on what I'm doing right this moment and survived.

I truly appreciate all the support you guys have given me. It really helps to know that people are counting on me besides just family and friends.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Congratulations on making it through a tough situation brother! I'm one of the guys that is lucky enough to be able to only have 1 or 2 so I can't begin to understand how hard it is on you, but I do know it's hard and that you made a hell of an accomplishment today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Had a big wake up call today. I'm at 25 days today, and my parents threw a sweet 16 party for my niece. Not thinking about it, a lot of my sisters friends and family members were over and the booze came out. Not to worry, I had none. However, vodka, wine, beer, and whiskey were out and almost everyone was drinking and talking about different beers. My sponsor told me to hold off a little before discussing it with my parents, but I did tell them I'm not drinking anymore and would appreciate it if they didn't offer any to me. Well, after the first hour, it was all that was on my mind, and I started to get a knot in my stomach and thinking about drinking non stop. After presents and the old happy birthday song, I excused myself and went home (my wife and I drove separate due to the Super Bowl). I came home, and chatted with my sponsor for a good 20 minutes. Today was not easy or comfortable, but I made it. While I knew I wasn't going to drink, it made me real uncomfortable. Thankfully this is a rare family occasion where booze comes out, but man, I can't wait till this gets easier. regardless, I concentrated on what I'm doing right this moment and survived.

I truly appreciate all the support you guys have given me. It really helps to know that people are counting on me besides just family and friends.
Leaving and calling the sponsor is exactly what you should do! Unfortunately, we can't always escape the presence of alcohol etc especially when around family. Goes to show, some days are easier than others due to circumstance. Just stay the course like you did and push forward for one more minute. Glad you didn't say fuck it:)

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0

Great job brother, you did well!

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Good job 8ball. I try to be aware when I am going to be in a place where alcohol is going to be flowing and have a plan in place to leave if I find myself affected by it. It is good to hear you are using your sponsor, attending meetings and reading the book. You made it another 24 hours sober and learned something from the experience. Know what it is?

Tomorrow is my 25th Anniversary sobriety birthday. It has truly been the best 25 years of my life. Lots of stuff has happened both good and bad, but there was nothing that happened where a drink would have made it better. If you ever need an ear to talk to, don't hesitate to ask. We don't do this alone.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Good job 8ball. I try to be aware when I am going to be in a place where alcohol is going to be flowing and have a plan in place to leave if I find myself affected by it. It is good to hear you are using your sponsor, attending meetings and reading the book. You made it another 24 hours sober and learned something from the experience. Know what it is?

Tomorrow is my 25th Anniversary sobriety birthday. It has truly been the best 25 years of my life. Lots of stuff has happened both good and bad, but there was nothing that happened where a drink would have made it better. If you ever need an ear to talk to, don't hesitate to ask. We don't do this alone.
Thanks Smokey. Going to meetings is the best thing I've done so far. hearing guys like you that have years of sobriety is an inspiration.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Well, after the first hour, it was all that was on my mind, and I started to get a knot in my stomach and thinking about drinking non stop.
Obsession of the mind
Craving of the body

They told me alcoholism was an allergy. I told them bullshit. I have allergies. Then I went to the dictionary and looked up the definition of allergy, "an abnormal reaction".

When my friends drank, they had a drink or two and became tired.

When I drank, I got pumped up. Drank more. Then wanted to go. Anywhere. Pool. Darts. Alcohol was an upper for me. Even tho it's considered a depressant. "AN ABNORMAL REACTION!"

Read the big book. If it doesn't make sense hit me up and we can chat about it. If you can find Joe and Charlie big book study. It's definitely worth a listen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Thanks Smokey. Going to meetings is the best thing I've done so far. hearing guys like you that have years of sobriety is an inspiration.
It does get easier. If you keep working it, it will get easier. At first it might come in waves but you will find yourself using the tools you will learn in time, to navigate through the hard days and start really enjoying and experiencing the good days.. Don't give up, don't let your guard down and ALWAYS talk to someone if your mind starts wandering brother. You did a real good job at your family party.. It will get easier.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Of all the forums I've joined for my obsessions---gunz, fishing, motorbikes, etc., I can say in all honesty this board is truly in a class of it's own. Every one of you in this thread are amazing, warms this curmudgeon's cyincal heart. Smoke something special today :)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hello all, haven't been on here in forever, but thought I would stop in and say hi. Right now I am smoking a 2006 Anejo. Today I celebrate two years sober, and it felt like a fitting cigar for the occasion. Have a good night.
That is awesome brother. Congrats, and well done!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Obsession of the mind
Craving of the body

They told me alcoholism was an allergy. I told them bullshit. I have allergies. Then I went to the dictionary and looked up the definition of allergy, "an abnormal reaction".

When my friends drank, they had a drink or two and became tired.

When I drank, I got pumped up. Drank more. Then wanted to go. Anywhere. Pool. Darts. Alcohol was an upper for me. Even tho it's considered a depressant. "AN ABNORMAL REACTION!"

Read the big book. If it doesn't make sense hit me up and we can chat about it. If you can find Joe and Charlie big book study. It's definitely worth a listen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
You tell him Dave! I had those Joe and Charlie talks on MP3 a long time ago. I am sure they are still out on the web somewhere. I listened to those things over and over my first couple years. Great wisdom, and damn those guys were funny.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0

Great job, and congrats on having the strength to maintain your sobriety.