What's new

Spring Home Projects

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
spring home projects...

the list seems to get larger by the day.
First off. My house is on a septic and well system. Township/epa is forcing us to update at least to a sewer. So trenching and connecting the water/sewer and re-seeding the lawn.
Then building a chicken coop(because i don't have enough animals around the house...)
Putting in a garden
Replacing and repainting some rotten boards around the property.
Fixing the wall on the rear of one of the out buildings before it falls down on it's own. Then rewiring it and insulating it(this building will become my man cave/workshop)
I don't want to think past those projects.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am perpetually expecting to move so I never do anything to the poor house I live in lol.

That said, I don't think I can live with my bathroom anymore. What do they always say when you are selling - bathrooms and kitchens. Think I'll redo it.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Plan on replanting grass in backyard, fixing gutter slopping issues, replacing rotting fascia on front porch, patching or replacing blacktop driveway, maybe getting a new kitchen floor to.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The contractor has finished our seating area and levelling the garden. Next on the list is some plants and some lighting. Also need to decorate the kids room and I'm going to install rgb led up lighting controlled via wifi. Just finished the kitchen as cabinet down lights and it looks great

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am perpetually expecting to move so I never do anything to the poor house I live in lol.

That said, I don't think I can live with my bathroom anymore. What do they always say when you are selling - bathrooms and kitchens. Think I'll redo it.
Ouch! Tough being in a perceived corner... I've got three lined up to do this spring, two are in the same boat as yourself - fixing it for the next family to enjoy.

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
So far I have...

dug holes for and planted 50 red tip photinia shrubs around my perimeter for a privacy hedge
planted about 30 bulbs along walkway of flower bed
pruned trees I planted last year
built the wife a 4x8 raised garden bed
converted a couple sprinkler heads to drip for some barrels I also bought her for gardening
cut out about 100 sq.ft of sod from front yard and replanted it around my pool deck

Next is...

cleaning up soil around shrubs
getting soil for gardens and then planting
planting a few fruit trees
deciding what to do in my front yard cut out
building a curved retaining wall/seat behind pool - no clue what I'm doing on this one
clean and organize the garage since the in laws just dropped off a bunch of crap

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Tough being in a perceived corner... I've got three lined up to do this spring, two are in the same boat as yourself - fixing it for the next family to enjoy.
You go it brother. Thanks for getting it - it really does suck.

When we do pull the trigger, it'll suck to see the house looking as it should have for so long... while we lived in it lol!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In need of a new AC. Gonna have a couple companies come out and give me an estimate. Old one barely survived last summer.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Gonna do something with this area in front of the house. Seemed like a perfect place for a flower bed but when it rains it floods. I said screw it and filled it in with gravel. Now it's gonna be a container garden.

Tomorrow, I'm putting together the Weber grill.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got a jump on repairs yesterday when the garage torsion spring snapped in two from out of no where! My arm is still sore from winding the new one.
Lots of stuff we want to do, but most of what actually is going to get done will be focused on getting everything ready for the new baby in July. Building some cabinet type things to expand storage in the baby room and the basement. Figuring out some sort of gate type thing for the top of the stairs, it will be quite some time before it's needed but the way the stairs and railing end I don't think a standard gate from a store will work, better to have a plan now than wait until it's too late. The window in the baby room is pretty leaky (air wise), so I'll have to see what needs to be done to keep temps a little more stable in there.
If there's time and money I'd love to add cabinets in the garage. The deck is far overdue for some new stain and weather protection. We've also been wanting to build on to expand the deck. It's just one of those basic 6x8 decks they throw on fast to charge more. Actually had to pull the stairs off before moving in because there was nothing to code about them! Also want to build some kind of storage area under the deck once it gets bigger, even just a door with some lattice work around the whole thing. There are a few pieces of siding that have developed cracks and need replacing, lucky for me I found and open bundle of the same stuff last year I was able to grab super cheap. Building a little ramp to the shed door for ease of getting the mower and snow blower in and out as needed. I'm sure I'll have to keep an eye on the ground squirrels again this spring. Darn things love to burrow near the shed and a rail tie retaining wall in the backyard. We had 5 dead trees I dug out after moving in that I really want to get replaced. There's a state program around here for free trees, but you have to sign up super early and they just kind of drop them off when ever they can. I might not have that much availability so I'm hesitant to get that going. I'm going to have to have some work done on the sidewalk soon, getting a pretty big gap between a couple of sections that could be a safety hazard.
Sounds like an awful lot of work, but fortunately the father in law is a contractor, and I'm pretty good at following instructional videos on YouTube!

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
That fire pit looks great!

I have a few spring projects lined up. First is to clean up the back yard. It's a mess! Second is to build a pedestal for our washer and dryer. Third is to install some vents in the ceiling, so the ac vents into the attic, instead of having to leave a window open all the time.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So far:
Basement: Installed battery backup sump pump. Removed moldy drywall from a closet.
Guest bedroom: Finally painted the trim that I installed LAST spring. Hung new curtain rods. Ran cable tv/Cat6 network cables to two locations.
Office: Installed a ceiling fan and light, since none of the bedrooms in our house had ceiling lights - just switch operated outlets. Removed the old non working intercom system/patched drywall. Ran Cable tv/Cat6 network cables to two locations. Primed/painted ceiling & walls.

Still to go:
Guest bedroom: install closet shelving. Paint doors & install new hardware. Paint windows.
Office: Install/paint new baseboard & existing door moulding. Install closet shelving, Paint doors & install new hardware. Paint windows. Replace electrical outlets. Hang new curtain rods.
Hall/Entryway: Everything. Remove/repaint/reinstall crown moulding. Remove existing baseboard & install new. Buy/install new entry door and hardware. Replace the light fixtures/outlets/switches.
Outside: Replant grass where the water company tore up my yard. Replant grass where we had a tree cut down two years ago. Mulch. Cut down two dead pine trees.
Clean. Sleep. Smoke some cigars.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
over the weekend, i finally finished sanding, power washing and restaining the deck. and after a few days of clear weather, it gets its first drops of rain.

aside from staining the deck, replacing all the nail pops took the longest, good thing i bought a few pounds of wood screws.

and afterwards, a well deserved smoke while i literally watch the paint dry.
---
next up:
  • re-grout bathroom floors
  • re-chaulk kitchen and bathroom
  • then its back to cleaning the basement