What's new

Spring Home Projects

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is quite a list chief!
Yeah, our house was built in 1979, but is quite dated. We've been in it for three years, and are planning on moving in two. My master list is well over five pages long. Everything needs painted, all of the lights need to be replaced. Most of the wiring that the previous owner did wasn't done to code, so I'm fixing all of it myself. The drywall repairs suck, because the walls had an orange peel texture that was skim coated over, so I have to do about six coats of mud anytime I patch drywall. Two rooms have paneling that I'm ripping out. There's wallpaper in two main rooms and two bathrooms that has to be ripped out. Plus the chimney replacement and the foundation repairs to the breakfast nook that I'm going to have to pay someone to do. The quotes I've gotten for those two items are a real kick in the nuts.

sadly, the list never ends, but at least it gives me a reason to buy more tools
Yep. I'm actually going to break down and buy a miter saw tonight. I'd been borrowing my dad's and he needed it back. I have to get my trim work done this week because we're having family over for a wedding next Friday, so I can't wait. I don't know how I've managed this long without my own. I'm really torn between the Hitachi and the Dewalt. I'm getting a 12" compound double bevel, non-sliding. It'll be a game-time decision as to which I get.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yep. I'm actually going to break down and buy a miter saw tonight. I'd been borrowing my dad's and he needed it back. I have to get my trim work done this week because we're having family over for a wedding next Friday, so I can't wait. I don't know how I've managed this long without my own. I'm really torn between the Hitachi and the Dewalt. I'm getting a 12" compound double bevel, non-sliding. It'll be a game-time decision as to which I get.
no, i'm with you. i've somehow managed to always borrow my uncles or my friends miter saw. been eyeing a 10" inch makita or bosch sliding miter saw for so long. just haven't pulled the trigger yet. so many choices and options to pick from, good luck with your choice, in the end it'll just be nice to own your own miter saw.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
no, i'm with you. i've somehow managed to always borrow my uncles or my friends miter saw. been eyeing a 10" inch makita or bosch sliding miter saw for so long. just haven't pulled the trigger yet. so many choices and options to pick from, good luck with your choice, in the end it'll just be nice to own your own miter saw.
I don't know much about the Makita, but I do like Bosch tools. I really want their 12" slider (the one with the glide arm), but I don't want to spend $700 as a DIYer. I think the only saw I would consider over that one would be the Festool Kapex, but that's twice as much as the Bosch.

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Well let's see...
On Friday the FL condo gets a new A/C system, then later in May the TX home gets new sod and about 20 -30 new shrubs in the backyard and about 80 feet of drain tile to stop the water that's getting into the garage. (I think I liked it better when we had our drought conditions in N.Tx.)

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In need of a new AC. Gonna have a couple companies come out and give me an estimate. Old one barely survived last summer.
Well my wife got a job in a new city, so my spring project turned into painting almost every room, and replacing floors. Now looking for new job and trying to sell said house. Blah.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
over the weekend, i finally finished sanding, power washing and restaining the deck. and after a few days of clear weather, it gets its first drops of rain.

aside from staining the deck, replacing all the nail pops took the longest, good thing i bought a few pounds of wood screws.

and afterwards, a well deserved smoke while i literally watch the paint dry.
---
next up:
  • re-grout bathroom floors
  • re-chaulk kitchen and bathroom
  • then its back to cleaning the basement
How long did you let the deck dry after power washing it before restaining? I'm going to do mine this week. Bought a new pressure washer with my March Madness bracket wininngs!

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
How long did you let the deck dry after power washing it before restaining? I'm going to do mine this week. Bought a new pressure washer with my March Madness bracket wininngs!
after power washing, i went 72 hours before restaining. i'm sure you can do 48 hours. it all depends on your weather and how much direct sunlight your deck gets. but for me, since the weather here has been pretty overcast and only around 50-60 degrees, i just gave it another day.
Yep. I'm actually going to break down and buy a miter saw tonight.
so, did you pick up a miter saw? which one you decide on?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
after power washing, i went 72 hours before restaining. i'm sure you can do 48 hours. it all depends on your weather and how much direct sunlight your deck gets. but for me, since the weather here has been pretty overcast and only around 50-60 degrees, i just gave it another day.

so, did you pick up a miter saw? which one you decide on?
I'm going to give it 48 hours. We've been getting sunning and 75° weather all week. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Today my old driveway was tore out and prep was started for the new driveway. They will finish up tomorrow.

Before...
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/trackeryak/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150513_200822.jpg.html][/URL]

Partially tore out....
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/trackeryak/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150514_091223.jpg.html][/URL]

1st part of the base was spread today. The 2nd part of the base will be added tomorrow. Then rolled and compacted before 2 layers of paving to finish it up.
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/trackeryak/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150514_152358.jpg.html][/URL]

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hey that looks like my driveway now. Most people around here may have a concrete pad but driveways are gravel. Which reminds me I need to add some. Glad to see ya getting stuff done though. Always a good feeling.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We have roofers scheduled to put green shingles on our place after Memorial Day. Other than that, I'm still in the middle of remodeling the old carpeted stairs to hardwood:

a. b. c.
a. Carpet ripped out and about 1743 staples removed. I didn't get a good 'before' shot of the old carpeted stairs.
b. The old stairs had a useless half wall between the runs with a ridiculous 'flower box' of sorts on top of it. Took that out and widened both runs.
c. New stringers for the upper run and the rebuilt closet beneath it.

d. e. f.

d. The long handrail sections are stocked at Lowe's but I had to piece together easing and returns from L.J. Smith for the lower handrail.
e. We didn't like the newel posts stocked at Lowe's and L.J. Smith wanted too much for what we liked, so I scratch-built one.
f. Fast forward to some installed 'wood plank' porcelain tile on the landing with stain-matched nosing and treads. Painted risers, too.

g. h. i.

g. Lower treads are done in this shot along with skirt boards on the closet wall. The hole beneath the art hanging is the feline access portal.
h & i. Skipping a few steps again, the upper treads and railings are in. Except for the outside skirt boards and base boards I'm finishing up (not shown) this is where things stand now.