What's new

Spring Home Projects

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks Tim! The guy who owned the house before us built it 6 months before we bought it (10 years ago). My wife really makes it a tropical paradise during the summer. My favorite place in the world to smoke cigars because it's mine and I know how hard my wife and I worked to be able to buy our first home . A couple of new pics from her work this past weekend. Can't wait until the plants start to fill out.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A couple of new pics from her work this past weekend. Can't wait until the plants start to fill out.
That looks very nice indeed. Our deck is fairly large but simple...and very dated. Remodeling it is on our list.

My spring project today was to load up the truck and make a dump run. Then I replaced the refrigerator water valve assembly and worked on filling joints in the stairway skirting and baseboards. Then I had an LFD Air Bender lancero on the deck and watched the birds.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finally...finally...we're calling the stairway project done! There's a bit of trim to be done by the closet door but we consider that to be part of the hallway project to come since it makes sense to do the floor first, then the trim. In the 'before' pic, you can see the old carpet, old rail and balusters, and the silly old 'flower box' atop a half-wall between the flights. We're not gonna miss that at all. The stairs feel much more open and cleaner now.

Click thumbnails for larger versions.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Finally...finally...we're calling the stairway project done! There's a bit of trim to be done by the closet door but we consider that to be part of the hallway project to come since it makes sense to do the floor first, then the trim. In the 'before' pic, you can see the old carpet, old rail and balusters, and the silly old 'flower box' atop a half-wall between the flights. We're not gonna miss that at all. The stairs feel much more open and cleaner now.

Looks awesome! Great job brother!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

I'm remodeling our walkout basement/family room and sanding the stairs is the worst of all the jobs so far. Any tips? I can't seem to get rid of the 55 year old stain completely.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife and I have a long list..we just bought the house in October still adding our own touch on it
  • paint bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms
  • stain the cabinets in kitchen
  • finish making the garage into man cave/hang-out
  • trim trees and some garden work
  • finish back patio
  • in need of rugs (the whole house is laminate wood flooring)
  • clean grout in kitchen and bathrooms
  • make a storage place for mud room
list just keeps growing

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
New service door project out of the way. The builder wanted a ridiculous amount of money to put it in during construction. I told them "no thanks". 4 years later, I finally put it in. Just need to paint the trim and make a little side walk.

IMAG1320.jpg IMAG1321.jpg

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started another project today, at the request of my wife: a small table to put on the landing of our newly remodeled staircase. She asked for a plain, simple, table but of course, I just had to embellish it a little by making it a bowfront.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438489572.888855.jpg

Since table corners in small spaces are like little 90° leg-stabbing ninjas, I think the curved front pushes those corners back nicely and gives the table a little bit of style while still being clean and simple. This will also be my first bent lamination so I get a new skill out of it.

I bought a few board feet of walnut a couple of weeks ago — and paid dearly for it — and got to work today turning the pile of wood into a slightly more compact pile of wood.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438489999.651197.jpg

As I got everything planed, ripped, and edge jointed, I began to see some really nice figure in the wood, especially in what would become the tabletop. To get an idea of what it would look like once it was finished, I wiped it down with some mineral spirits and I really like the look of it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438490149.655997.jpg

I think next weekend, I'll get to work on milling the mortises in the legs and put together a tapering jig.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well Im in the process of buying a house from a friend (was a rental for her) between her, me and mostly her dad we`ve done
New siding
New roof
Upgraded electrical
New plumbing
Demo old finished basement that was molding
Move a door down the wall
Re drywall the kitchen
Paint the whole house
And still to do
Lay laminate floor in my bedroom
Lay sticky tile in the kitchen
New countertops
Add a dishwasher
Paint trim, and cupbords
Refinish deck
Landscaping/ remove overgrown crap
I know only a little bit of work to do

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
We just accepted an offer on our home. And inspection went well. So no more projects..............until we buy another home sometime next year.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I started another project today, at the request of my wife: a small table to put on the landing of our newly remodeled staircase. She asked for a plain, simple, table but of course, I just had to embellish it a little by making it a bowfront.

View attachment 68206

Since table corners in small spaces are like little 90° leg-stabbing ninjas, I think the curved front pushes those corners back nicely and gives the table a little bit of style while still being clean and simple. This will also be my first bent lamination so I get a new skill out of it.

I bought a few board feet of walnut a couple of weeks ago — and paid dearly for it — and got to work today turning the pile of wood into a slightly more compact pile of wood.

View attachment 68207

As I got everything planed, ripped, and edge jointed, I began to see some really nice figure in the wood, especially in what would become the tabletop. To get an idea of what it would look like once it was finished, I wiped it down with some mineral spirits and I really like the look of it.

View attachment 68208

I think next weekend, I'll get to work on milling the mortises in the legs and put together a tapering jig.
That's an awesome furniture project. Please keep us posted on your progress.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's an awesome furniture project. Please keep us posted on your progress.
As long as I can pull it off without hogging the thread! As mentioned upthread, I did get the leg mortises milled and I whipped up a one-shot tapering jig for the legs:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439254916.935793.jpg

Quick trips past the rip blade and a few swipes with a hand plane tapered the inside faces from 1-3/4" down to 1-3/16". I also cut the side aprons and fitted the haunched tenons to their mortises:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439255498.432417.jpg

The last accomplishment of the weekend was to glue up the tabletop. After flipping the boards several times to find the grain match I liked best, I cut a few biscuit slots, laid the glue down, and put the pressure on with some cauls and a dozen clamps. To summarize, here's this weekend's handiwork:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439256028.199266.jpg

Next, after running the tabletop through the planer one last time, I'll make the bent lamination clamping fixture for the front apron.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I built the clamping jig yesterday out of MDF — a lot of dusty work at the table saw, band saw, and router table. Today, I ripped and planed slices from an 8/4 slab of walnut for the lamination, glued it up, put it in the jig and clamped the hell out of it:

I'll take it out of the clamps tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it turns out.