What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Really interested in trying that Willet Pot Still, what are your thoughts?

Killing a buffalo tonight after driving 5
Hours in traffic

It's a shelf hog! Really cool bottle, but its footprint doesnt fit on normal bar shelves...

A couple years ago, Willett shifted a lot of their brands to their own distilled product, including PSR. They are saving the sourced, well-aged stuff for the Willett Family Reserve product that sells for crazy $ in the gift shop only. When I toured a year and a half ago, the bourbon going into the WSR bottle was 4-5 yrs old. My palate is tuned to older, oaky bourbon, and the PSR doesnt fit that profile.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hours in traffic

I was there myself today, not fun. Took me 2 hours to go 5 miles; New Jersey wasn't prepared for its first snow of the season. Too bad I am all out of Bourbon but fear not, I plan on picking up this unique bottle tomorrow. At only $27.99, being double oaked and its high honors, it might shape up to be quite an experience. Will report back once I've tried it

https://distiller.com/spirits/noble-oak-double-oak-bourbon

https://www.ultimate-beverage.com/ultimate-spirits-challenge-USC/2018-spirits-results/Noble-Oak-Double-Oak-Bourbon/

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hours in traffic

That isn't my first bottle of Willett if that tells you something. Had a couple last night, Willett is one of my regular favorites. @gurgalunas is right about the goofy bottle.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never knowingly tried any Dickel product (they are a distillery other brands source from, so maybe unknowingly?). What did you think? What would you compare to?[/U]
For $25.49 it was pretty good. Tons of Rye spice and some depth and complexity to it. Also has a cork which I was surprised, especially since the Weller didn’t lol. I’m not sure what it compares to as I’ve only had a handful of Ryes and this one was pretty unique, better than Bulliet and Woodford Rye though but nowhere near Rittenhouse or Willett Family Reserve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
For $25.49 it was pretty good. Tons of Rye spice and some depth and complexity to it. Also has a cork which I was surprised, especially since the Weller didn’t lol. I’m not sure what it compares to as I’ve only had a handful of Ryes and this one was pretty unique, better than Bulliet and Woodford Rye though but nowhere near Rittenhouse or Willett Family Reserve

Bulleit and Woodford are 2 totally different ends of the spectrum. To define the spectrum, let's look at the legal definition of the whiskey... the key to rye is that it must be at least 51% rye mashbill. Some ryes go close to the minimum, with a 51-60% rye mashbill (meaning higher % other grains, specifically corn). Look at Knob Creek, Rittenhouse, Pikesville, sazerac most Kentucky ryes. They are close to bourbon in flavor, using more corn.

The Bulleit end of the spectrum is MGP sourced 95% rye. MGP is the only source for 95%... Historically, it was a component of Seagrams 7, a blended whiskey. When seagrams empire imploded, the component parts were left without a home, so the new owner, MGP, sold excess. The 95% rye was bottled by many start-ups, and makes up a large part of the Rye Market today. Great cocktail rye...

Rit, and its older brother Pikesville, are top of the heap to me. There are a ton of new, high $ ryes hitting the market (Kentucky Owl, Peerless, etc) which I havent tried.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bulleit and Woodford are 2 totally different ends of the spectrum. To define the spectrum, let's look at the legal definition of the whiskey... the key to rye is that it must be at least 51% rye mashbill. Some ryes go close to the minimum, with a 51-60% rye mashbill (meaning higher % other grains, specifically corn). Look at Knob Creek, Rittenhouse, Pikesville, sazerac most Kentucky ryes. They are close to bourbon in flavor, using more corn.

The Bulleit end of the spectrum is MGP sourced 95% rye. MGP is the only source for 95%... Historically, it was a component of Seagrams 7, a blended whiskey. When seagrams empire imploded, the component parts were left without a home, so the new owner, MGP, sold excess. The 95% rye was bottled by many start-ups, and makes up a large part of the Rye Market today. Great cocktail rye...

Rit, and its older brother Pikesville, are top of the heap to me. There are a ton of new, high $ ryes hitting the market (Kentucky Owl, Peerless, etc) which I havent tried.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion of Ryes, I hadn’t realized most of that, as I’m more into bourbons (obviously given my name); was only intending on comparing it to the ones that I’ve experienced so far, as far as likability and complexity. Where does Willett Family Estate Small Batch fall into?

Last edited: