What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Wow, that looks delicious!

How long did you end up cooking it? And did you like using the Weber?
It was about 40mins to get a steady fire going, to the point I was happy to put my only probe into the meat and no longer know ambient temp for the rest of the cook.

Then use say 2hours 40mins at what I can only guess what a highly fluctuating fire, basically waited until internal temp was 90c (194f), took it off and carved straight away. Probably should have foil wrapped and tea towelled but everyone was ready for lunch. It was still amazing but I know I can do better. Gonna have another shot today!

Yeah I'm hooked the weber is great!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well today's effort was less than impressive. Tried a different technique which ran well for a while, then couldn't keep the temp, ran out of charcoal and then had to change fuel, at this point I put the thermometer inside the meat so didn't realise the new fuel burnt a hell of a lot hotter. The result a tough, dry brisket... Lesson learnt.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The wife's family is coming over today for what I like to call "Fake Thanksgiving". I like to use it as a trial run for the real show on Thursday.

I've got a couple turkey breasts in. I decided to try smoking them in pans to catch drippings to make gravy with. We'll see how it goes.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
If your still experimenting, look into getting a Natural Turkey and Brining it. (the reason to get a natural turkey is that turkeys that are not natural are injected with salt and will not take the Brine.) It really helps in the smoking process IMHO.

My birds are brined for 12-18 hours, then Injected with a Butter/Honey/maple syrup mix, then rubbed with a spicy mix of seasonings. Then smoked.

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your still experimenting, look into getting a Natural Turkey and Brining it. (the reason to get a natural turkey is that turkeys that are not natural are injected with salt and will not take the Brine.) It really helps in the smoking process IMHO.

My birds are brined for 12-18 hours, then Injected with a Butter/Honey/maple syrup mix, then rubbed with a spicy mix of seasonings. Then smoked.
I will definitely give that a try. I have eaten many wild turkeys either fried or roasted and they are much better than store bought birds although I have never cooked one myself. I injected this one with butter and chicken broth with some seasoning which made it moist and delicious!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Today is Thanksgiving, and it is hands down my favorite holiday. I looked forward to cooking the turkeys, but I'm also always saddened because this is probably my last smoke of the year.

Right now I've got 3 breasts and 6 lollipop turkey legs going.

Later on I'll deep fry 2 turkeys too.