What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Does this cook the up the same as store bought pork shoulder or is it leaner? Would love to see pics of it pulled.
It's probably 25% leaner...

Sorry.. No pics of the final product... But I'm smoking a large shoulder from another boar tomorrow... Will take pics all the way through the process...

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Made some good stuff on the smoker tonight courtesy of @knw247

Chicken for me with dougs rub, quick smoked for an hour and some smoked tofu for the lady. Curious to see how this tofu tastes, looks pretty good.

EDIT: I officially don't ever need to make anything else on the smoker. This chicken is absolutely perfect! They were each .75 lb boneless skinless chicken breast with some rub. Got the smoker going and let them sit around 250-260 for 45 minutes then flipped and sit for another 15. Perfectly moist, great smokey flavor and just outstanding

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
5 pounds of Summer sausage smoked, 10 pounds of Polish smoked and 10 pounds of Hot Italian. Did not smoke the Italian but left it fresh.

Nice! I still need to bag a few more deer before I can start this years sausage production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My first adventure into Summer sausage making but was really happy with the results. I started with 5 pounds for that reason. More mustard seeds and more smoke and maybe a little citric acid for tang on the next batch. The Polish tasted great as well as the Italian on the grill but will taste the sausage later this week.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
First attempt at low n slow. Cheap small brisket on the baby weber.

It's Saturday morning in Australia so had to have something keep me company.

Internal temp rising.

And done!

Lessons learnt:

1. Chimney lighters make a mess build an upstanding grill in the yard instead of using the BBQ.
2. Don't wear flip flops when handling the chimney lighter full of hot coals. The shit is hot and falls on your feet.
3. More iron bark wood next time, I want a better smoke ring.
4. The big glove isn't for sooks, it's actually really hot and you need it.
5. Lower and slower next time. Single prong thermometer doesn't cut it, need to know internal and ambient temps.

All in all very happy for a first attempt! Brisket burger with coleslaw on fresh bread with some of @multi-useless rub some but BBQ sauce is delicious!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0

Internal temp rising.

And done!

Lessons learnt:

1. Chimney lighters make a mess build an upstanding grill in the yard instead of using the BBQ.
2. Don't wear flip flops when handling the chimney lighter full of hot coals. The shit is hot and falls on your feet.
5. Lower and slower next time. Single prong thermometer doesn't cut it, need to know internal and ambient temps.

All in all very happy for a first attempt! Brisket burger with coleslaw on fresh bread with some of @multi-useless rub some but BBQ sauce is delicious!

I don't know, brother. Looks like a nice bark, and decent smoke ring to me. Well done.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Made some good stuff on the smoker tonight courtesy of @knw247

Chicken for me with dougs rub, quick smoked for an hour and some smoked tofu for the lady. Curious to see how this tofu tastes, looks pretty good.

EDIT: I officially don't ever need to make anything else on the smoker. This chicken is absolutely perfect! They were each .75 lb boneless skinless chicken breast with some rub. Got the smoker going and let them sit around 250-260 for 45 minutes then flipped and sit for another 15. Perfectly moist, great smokey flavor and just outstanding
Can't believe I just saw this. How was the tofu?

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I don't know, brother. Looks like a nice bark, and decent smoke ring to me. Well done.

Internal temp rising.

And done!

Lessons learnt:

great right up. Regarding the smoke ring ... Here is an article you may find beneficial. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html