What's new

What's the next hot brand?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I thought I knew something about cigars, but I don't remember even hearing about Rodrigo before this thread. They look interesting and the price looks right to try some.

For the original question, my vote based on everything I smoked last year is Caldwell.

Rodrigo is your amigo

I'm a fan of Forteleza

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I thought I knew something about cigars, but I don't remember even hearing about Rodrigo before this thread. They look interesting and the price looks right to try some.
I believe they're rolled at the same factory (Tabacalera William Ventura) as the Caldwell collection. Based on that, I'm willing to give them a try.

Cardinal

Conscientious Objector
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe they're rolled at the same factory (Tabacalera William Ventura) as the Caldwell collection. Based on that, I'm willing to give them a try.
I was wondering about that. I just looked at their website and they sell their own cigars, along with Caldwell and Leaf by Oscar which is another I like. Now I'm set on getting a few, if I wasn't already.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! Will look for them at the B&M, but I'm 99% sure my place doesn't have these. I'll try to remember to snag a 5-er with my next online purchase.
He's pretty much only in PA. The Boutique G4 is one of my favorite NC cigars, it's good right off the truck but after a year of rest it's amazing. The caramel note that hits is one of the strongest, best caramels I've had in a cigar.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rodriguez Cigars of Florida Keys
I went to school with one of the owners/rollers and I don't think they'll be blowing up anytime soon. Personally their blends never did it for me and construction can be a bit inconsistent but regardless I just don't think they can handle that kind of volume being a small family run operation. Danny is a great guy though and was a hell of a ball player. If your ever trying to get more of their cigars let me know I'd be happy to help you out.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
My favorite "new" cigars at the moment are probably RomaCraft and Skip is just an amazing dude. Second to that would be Crowned Heads and I really think they are the IT brand currently. Super good stuff and a ton of buzz.

There are a bunch of other brands I constantly hear mentioned around here that I haven't tried yet, but even still they don't seem to be mentioned as much as Huber.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks again for all of the love BoTLs...

For me, I am a big fan of Omar and what he is doing with Fratello. The factory he works with is doing solid work and his new white blend is next level.

One new guy from the DR is Victor Resek and his brand Chogüí. Keep an eye out for him. He has a great sense of what he wants to do and is off to a great start.

Black Label Trading Co. Just opened their own small factory here in Esteli and the new things I am tasting are righteous.

Obviously, Nick and Saka are exciting...don't see anything other than solid work from either of them hitting the market this year.

The new stuff Nica Sueno is doing for Mike and Gregg at Cigar Hustler is fire. Get on it as they roll it out.

Big Willy's Norteno is as solid as it comes...best thing coming out of Drew Estate IMHO.

Enrique Sanchez from 1502 had an amazing core line full of flavorful medium cigars. Best thing coming out of Placencia.

Jeff from Crux has a new blend that is the best of his line IMHO coming out at the show, also very very good.

I am a big fan of the whole operation Espinosa and team have put together from La Zona to his core lines and the stuff he is doing with Danny. If you can't find something you like from them you probably don't like cigars.

Huber and Mike are running the tightest small brand out there and the new stuff from My Father is killing it (the Yellow Rose being my favorite).

Lazuka does his thing....and for a lot of people, there is nothing better. Clearly the leader in the CLE stable.

Throat doesn't even cover the medium guys that continue to put out solid work day after day like Pete, Dion, and Litto.....etc.

Padron and Fuente. Nothing else needs to be said.

It is no wonder that some of the big guys are scratching their heads and waiting for the FDA to solve this problem for them.

As for us, like it was said, we know our lane and try to stay in it. We know who we are and what we want to accomplish and we work very hard to deliver against that every day. We do run under the radar a bit because that is our model. This year we will hit our goal of making and delivering about 1.2 million cigars to about 350 of the best retail partners in the country (and a few small ones around the world)....that was our goal from the beginning and where we will probably be for a long time.

Thank you for your support and for recognizing our focus on quality, consistency and value.

Viviendo el Sueno

Skip

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I really like what Erik Espinosa has been doing at La Zona. 601s are great budget smokes. Laranja Reserves are good. Casa Fernandez can be good too. La Palina and Warped. I visited Don Giolito's place, Fumare, in Reno. His house blends are off the hook! All the others mentioned above. It's an exciting time to be a cigar smoker.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Definitely agree with you. The 601 line is definitely a great go to affordable stick with the laranja being a great new addition.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My favorite "new" cigars at the moment are probably RomaCraft and Skip is just an amazing dude. Second to that would be Crowned Heads and I really think they are the IT brand currently. Super good stuff and a ton of buzz.
George makes a great cigar and the Classico is my favorite although I have smoked everything he puts out...good stuff.

There are a bunch of other brands I constantly hear mentioned around here that I haven't tried yet, but even still they don't seem to be mentioned as much as Huber.
CH's has become my favorite these days....seems like Huber doesn't know how to screw up a cigar as they are all high quality and worth the money.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a great thread. I've been out of the industry for a while and stick to my old school smokes so I will be taking notes! Look forward to trying CH and others. Thanks Botl for the info!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks again for all of the love BoTLs...

*snip*

Viviendo el Sueno

Skip
Skip! I'm glad to see you're on the mend.

For anyone not smoking RoMa Craft cigars, you're missing out. I've been consistently smoking them since very shortly after they first hit the market and haven't had a bad one yet. They are the unofficial cigars of the B&B cigar club and we smoke the hell out of them. They even made us a special box for the last DC tweet up. Fantastic product and both Mike and Skip are class acts. I'm pretty picky about who I give my money to, and never hesitate to smoke one of their products.

In fact, I think I might go get one...

NicaNick

Nick~R~Agua
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate that blending, branding, and being the "idea guy" takes a certain kind of skill and know-how, I'd really like to see a more vertically integrated newcomer step into the limelight.

It seems every guy with a tattoo and a record collection is putting out a similar cigar brand, and it's tiring. I could really get behind a guy who spends time in the fields and gets his hands dirty while simultaneously building a strong and genuine brand. Someone who can actually grow and roll the leaf but also capture the imagination and develop a fresh and innovative company while staying grounded to tradition.

I'm the biggest Tatuaje fan and if the relationship with Pepin is working, why change it. Guys like Huber and Gellis are doing cool things. But I respect a watchmaker who makes a movement in-house. A pair of high end Japanese jeans commands much more of my admiration, because I know the artisan who made those jeans knows their craft from the inside out, and actually makes every stitch. I couldn't imagine an idea guy making it in the craft beer business without running an actual brewery.

Yes we have Padron, Pepin, Fuente et al. but a new release from their likes is not the most exiting thing in the world. And these families have a long tradition in the cigar business. I respect J. Drew for packing his bags, heading to Nicaragua, getting his hands in the mud and learning how to take a seedling and turn it into a fine smoke. And then actually doing it. It was ballsy, and it was American as hell.

The next guy who does this and puts out solid, genuine smokes (but please hold the flavored sticks and the whole selling to Swisher thing) and can build an engaging and captivating brand will get my money and my following.
Word up ! It's in the works.