What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What gauge you looking for Jim D?

Gotta say, that five wingnut arrangement looks like the tediousest mold closure ever. You ever just pop a C clamp instead?
I'm not sure exactly which size I'm looking for. The small tat verocu works out nicely on my drive to work, if I push it. Maybe some ting of that size, a 40 ring gauge. ..
I'm thinking of just buying a block of wood, cutting it with a band saw, clamp the two halves together, then drill press the seams to make the ring gauge I'm looking for. 40/64 is 5/8 which is a common bit so no problem there, just have to find a way to round out the head's space...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not sure exactly which size I'm looking for. The small tat verocu works out nicely on my drive to work, if I push it. Maybe some ting of that size, a 40 ring gauge. ..
I'm thinking of just buying a block of wood, cutting it with a band saw, clamp the two halves together, then drill press the seams to make the ring gauge I'm looking for. 40/64 is 5/8 which is a common bit so no problem there, just have to find a way to round out the head's space...
Wood putty of some variety usually comes up in the drilled mold rounded head convo....

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
So you know what i found out this weekend? The guys at Martinez cigar co. trained the owner of bull city cigar Co. He also bought up a bunch of the molds they had. So in case you're curious where they all went, Durham, NC!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Did you ever try to get a clue where he gets his leaf? Is it from Oliva, or...?
"Private wholesale" was his direct quote. A lot of his filler was dominican. I'm planning on hanging out there more frequently, as they have a nice air conditioned lounge, and maybe I'll get some insight (or leaf to play with).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"Private wholesale" was his direct quote. A lot of his filler was dominican. I'm planning on hanging out there more frequently, as they have a nice air conditioned lounge, and maybe I'll get some insight (or leaf to play with).

Was he being deliberately evasive with that answer, or did he think that's all the info you could handle?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Was he being deliberately evasive with that answer, or did he think that's all the info you could handle?
Maybe he thought i didn't know what's up... but then i showed him some homerolls, so maybe a few more trips to the store and I'll grease it outta him

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
He has some connections to the DR from when he lived in NY. I think he referred to it as coming from a "private farm" when I asked. He made it sound like a personal relationship with the family member of somebody he knows. I don't think it is something that just anybody can get their hands on.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Maybe he thought i didn't know what's up... but then i showed him some homerolls, so maybe a few more trips to the store and I'll grease it outta him

How is the quality of their stuff right now? I haven't been by in about three months. I'm smoking too many to afford dropping $8+ on sticks right now and the last few I had weren't up to their old standards of taste and construction. It seemed like the increase in demand was pushing their limits for quality control.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
How is the quality of their stuff right now? I haven't been by in about three months. I'm smoking too many to afford dropping $8+ on sticks right now and the last few I had weren't up to their old standards of taste and construction. It seemed like the increase in demand was pushing their limits for quality control.
To be honest i didn't smoke what they gave me that day, wanted to let it mellow in the humi a bit :D construction looked good though

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Well I ordered. I'm sure I could do cheaper on ebay or other searching, but I get paralyzed with the choices and unknown sizing I see so much.

I don't know why, but plastic never seems right for a cigar mold. I like the idea of the wood soaking up a little moisture. It's a luxury and I probably over paid a bit, but with the new lead ordered, at least I'll be able to do some rolling again!