What's new

Kitty Litter the Final Test

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I did a test with some damp kitty litter crystals in a sealed container. RH was around 90%.

Right now the RH in my wine cooler is around 64ish% with three containers full (maybe 2-3 pounds).

I'm satisfied with it.
To clarify, is the sealed container holding just the crystals or are you referring to the humidor.

Better scenario, would you suggest putting the crystals in a "gladware" container sealed tightly with the lid and then putting that into a cooler, or would it be better to poke some holes in the lid to allow more free air/humidity exchange?

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I did it in the same way you would test your hygrometer.

I tested my hygrometer with salt the night before that, and it showed 75%

I think the kitty litter just works well because its in a cooled environment with an external cooling source.

I'll do the same test with a sealed tupperware and kitty litter in my cooler (which is around 60-65 degrees)

After a night, I'll post what the RH was.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the kitty litter just works well because its in a cooled environment with an external cooling source.

I'll do the same test with a sealed tupperware and kitty litter in my cooler (which is around 60-65 degrees)

Cool. I appreciate the help.

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

I put a shot glass full of semi saturated Kitty Litter crystals and a hygrometer into a sealed tupperware. Then I put that into my wine cooler to get it down to what a cooler storage temperature would be (the low 60's).

After waiting a night, the Kitty Litter regulated the ambient RH in the Tupperware to 91% RH @ 62 degrees F.

Just thought it would be helpful if anybody was curious, because I was too.

However, I use the Kitty Litter crystals (about 3lbs) in my wine cooler, and due to the thermoelecric cooler, I get an average ambient RH in the cooler of about 63-70%.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I put a shot glass full of semi saturated Kitty Litter crystals and a hygrometer into a sealed tupperware. Then I put that into my wine cooler to get it down to what a cooler storage temperature would be (the low 60's).

After waiting a night, the Kitty Litter regulated the ambient RH in the Tupperware to 91% RH @ 62 degrees F.

Just thought it would be helpful if anybody was curious, because I was too.

However, I use the Kitty Litter crystals (about 3lbs) in my wine cooler, and due to the thermoelecric cooler, I get an average ambient RH in the cooler of about 63-70%.
Oh. OK then:grin:

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewDill
The Kitty Litter in a sealed container in a 60ish degree environment held about 90-91&#37; RH.

what does that mean?
It means the beads were saturated Ron.:smile:

From my experience, The KL beads are alot more easy to saturate than Heartfelt beads. So...don't use alot of water. Work your way up to the max amount of water your amount of KL beads will take. A rule of thumb: If RH is too high, you put too much water on the beads.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Aw Ron. Come on. Kitty Litter is fun. Mixing and measuring and trying to get it just right. The beads are easier but who does anything the easy way? :rofl:

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
thats true. i have used it myself just to see how it worked. i was on the phone a few times with a guy who is considered to be 1 of the worlds leading experts in using silica gel for humidity control. he taught me pretty much anything that i need to know about using silica gel for our cigars. besides being a business, its still a hobby for me. i enjoy learning everything that i can about a product.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know that early on, guys were using strategies (some pretty elaborate) to "condition" the KL. All I've ever done is take some and dump some water on 'em and...67%. You just have to be careful not to use too much water.

Heartfelt beads will take alot more water and still give setpoint RH. Which product do I trust more? Heartfelt beads.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know that early on, guys were using strategies (some pretty elaborate) to "condition" the KL. All I've ever done is take some and dump some water on 'em and...67%. You just have to be careful not to use too much water.

Heartfelt beads will take alot more water and still give setpoint RH. Which product do I trust more? Heartfelt beads.
Yeah, but which product does your wallet like more? :grin:

By the way, exactly what kind of litter do you need to use? I assume I would need to get the crystals and ones that don't have any scent or baking soda. Are my assumptions correct and what else should I have in mind when I get some KL?