What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice rolls Rex.
I may be wrong but it looks like you don't use a cap on your sticks. It looks like the wrapper is twisted into that nice pigtail. I always use a cap so that the wrapper doesn't unroll during smoking. Even when the wrapper is well glued it can unroll after getting wet for a while. The cap will stop that. Sometimes I make the pigtail out of the wrapper like you did and then just put a couple of wraps around with a thin strip to act as a cap. Other times I use the cap to make the pigtail.
I don't know the "correct" way but I like to experiment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to pick out notes, etc., when you are drinking coffee. Coffee is a fine accompaniment to a relaxing cigar experience; but not to the discerning palate experience. You would want something which cleans the palate; not something which muddies it. Think about last time you went to a winery... The give you water to wash your mouth between tastes, and often little crackers or bread bits or pretzels to neutralize any whatchamacallit. Try Rye whiskey or Irish whiskey or a good anejo rum or Coors or best of all weak lemonade. I'm not saying that coffee isn't enjoyable with a gar. I'm just saying that the whole palate thing does not work unless you maintain a clean palate. A discerning palate is a clean palate.

BTW -- Them're some damn nice lookin Rexgars you got there.
Rexgars!! :LOL: Thanks! Agree with everything you say. I have Coors! Lol! Weak lemonade? Really? Interesting...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I started rolling I thought the cap was just the dome piece on top. I thought a double cap was two domes, one bigger than the other. I don't know why it took so long for me to clue in even though I watched tons of videos. I guess I was too focused on the other steps.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This shows the construction of mixed filler from left to right. mata fina, pa, corojo seco, medium scrap from recent long filler offering and corojo seco. It gets stacked, then folded in its self, rolled up and then molded. nic rosada wrapper. One shown finished.
All from https://wholeleaftobacco.com/

https://i.imgur.com/AiNnjOy.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one I rolled Jan 19th. Wrapper could be tighter.

Wrapper
Mexican San Andres

Binder
Mata Fina

Fillers
Esteli - Seco
Honduran - Viso
Brazilian Arapiraca
Ometepe - Ligero

I probably won’t blend that together again but it isn’t bad.

I saw a guy lay the leaves flat on top of each other and roll it up all at once for the bunch. This stick is drawing and burning well. It was easier than entubado (however you spell that)

From leaf only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one I rolled Jan 19th. Wrapper could be tighter.

Wrapper
Mexican San Andres

Binder
Mata Fina

Fillers
Esteli - Seco
Honduran - Viso
Brazilian Arapiraca
Ometepe - Ligero

I probably won’t blend that together again but it isn’t bad.

I saw a guy lay the leaves flat on top of each other and roll it up all at once for the bunch. This stick is drawing and burning well. It was easier than entubado (however you spell that)

From leaf only.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is called the "book" method. I've tried the Entubado and fan-fold method but the book method has produced my best sticks. The bunch is smoother, more even and it's easier to get the ligero where I want it.
I cut my leaves in half and then place them head to foot so the bunch will be consistent firm. I also fold up the leaves I want in the center (ligero) and place them on top so when I fold over the outside (seco) leaves the bunch is well organized.
It may not be a very traditional method but it works for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is called the "book" method. I've tried the Entubado and fan-fold method but the book method has produced my best sticks. The bunch is smoother, more even and it's easier to get the ligero where I want it.
I cut my leaves in half and then place them head to foot so the bunch will be consistent firm. I also fold up the leaves I want in the center (ligero) and place them on top so when I fold over the outside (seco) leaves the bunch is well organized.
It may not be a very traditional method but it works for me.
Thanks for the added tips. I want to do my next batch with the same blend and roll them in different ways. Then compare how they burn and smoke. I know there’s a reason factories do it a certain way but it’s fun to experiment. Perdomo does Entubado and Davidoff does accordion. Both make great sticks.