What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Placed a small order with Meat Church over the weekend to try out there seasoning, I went with the 6 shooter combo. It offers 6 different seasonings for various meats and cooks, well they must know BOTL math or something cause this is what I got yesterday.

20160615_175128.jpg

Somehow 6 = 18, damn Meat Church bombing me too... Guess I have enough seasoning for the summer at least. haha

Rating - 100%
59   0   0

It has been way too long since I have posted in this thread. Remodeling our kitchen has filled my weekends, and this is the first time all year I've taken the smokers out. We have all the family coming over later for Father's Day, so 18 2" pork chops are currently rubbed and smoking.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

It has been way too long since I have posted in this thread. Remodeling our kitchen has filled my weekends, and this is the first time all year I've taken the smokers out. We have all the family coming over later for Father's Day, so 18 2" pork chops are currently rubbed and smoking.
Is it hard to keep them from drying out since pork chops are such a lean meat? What is your temp and smoke time?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Is it hard to keep them from drying out since pork chops are such a lean meat? What is your temp and smoke time?
I've done this several times and haven't had a problem yet. Pork loin is super lean and can be a problem. Lots of people will wrap it in bacon first. Chops are somewhat fatty which helps.

Here are some tips to keep them moist: Brine them overnight. Cook it hotter. I smoke hotter than most anyways. A lot of guys will smoke eveything at around 225. That's my floor. I'll tend to cook shoulder and brisket at 235 and above. I'll smoke chicken at 275. The chops were done at 250+. Unlike shoulder or brisket, it's not necessary to melt collagen to make chops or chicken edible, so they don't need to be cooked low and slow. The number one tip is mind your water pan. Keeping a humid environment in your smoker is the most important thing for keeping your meats moist.
I never have a set cook time, I always cook to temperature. I'll end up pulling these at around 145.