What's new

whats on your grill today?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
20+lbs of brisket and shoulder hit the smoker promptly at 845 this morning...

Meatapalooza has begun!

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
20+lbs of brisket and shoulder hit the smoker promptly at 845 this morning...

Meatapalooza has begun!

Damn brother very nice.......got some of that pickleaze to go with that????

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
you know I dont eat pork without pikliz :)

Just made up a fresh batch 4 days ago... wont reach its peak for heat for another 2-3 days.. but its still got a bit of warmth to it :)

meats ready in about 7 more hours.. its only a 3 hour drive from your place I believe ;)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
you know I dont eat pork without pikliz :)

Just made up a fresh batch 4 days ago... wont reach its peak for heat for another 2-3 days.. but its still got a bit of warmth to it :)

meats ready in about 7 more hours.. its only a 3 hour drive from your place I believe ;)
What is this "Pikliz" of which you speak?

Sent from an NSA proof phone.

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
oh hell we may have to change where we going on our mc ride today lol I followed your recipe and mines been sitting about a month. havent tasted it yet but hope its bad ass!!! Curtis its something Dave can explain on the pikliz

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
simply AWESOME haitian "slaw" type dish that I had our housekeeper teach me how to make when I was living in Port Au Prince for a little while...

Super flavorful.. can be super hot (make it to your taste).. usually eat it with meats "coney style"... goes especially well with pork.. but also kicks ass on everything else from beef to morning eggs, etc..

My recipie (there are several varieties.. and mine has changed up a bit over the years as well)... is:

1/2 red cabbage (traditional pikliz uses green cabbage).. chopped into thin strips (like coleslaw)..
1 table spoon black peppercorns
1/2 tea spoon kosher sea salt
2 carrots finely chopped
1/2 red onion finely chopped
6 scotch bonnet peppers.. seeds left in.. finely chopped (you can add or take away peppers.. and/or seed them if you want more/less "heat")...
2 cloves of garlic.. finely chopped..

mix well.. then put all of this in a large jar or container.. then fill with vinegar.. until all ingredients are covered...

seal it up.. throw it in the fridge.. and wait 3-4 days before serving...

YUM!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
correct.. just plain white venegar...

google some recipies.. there are several online..

some people like green peas in it (I dont.. and thats not very traditional)..

and most people use white onions and green cabbage.. I just like the neon pink color that the red cabbage turns the pikliz lol.. and I think the red cabbage makes it a little sweeter.. I like the taste of red oinions a little better than white as well...

best way to try it (IMO) is simply to top a burger with about a tablespooon.. and see what you think..

I love it on top of a BBQ sandwich (pulled pork) or as a side to just about any other pork (ribs, tenderloin, etc..).. and its awesome on scrambled eggs (wakes you up in the morning)...

the Haitians eat it all the time.. with just about everything... the oils in the peppers help to kill bacteria in food... pretty decent solution for a country where refrigeration and proper food storage is in short supply...

I litterally eat it at least once a day whenever I am in Haiti (usually with breakfast)... and sometimes more...

and usually make up about 1/2 a gallon or so of it 2-3 times a year (it will keep for months in the fridge.. its "pickeled" afterall ;) )....

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
simply AWESOME haitian "slaw" type dish that I had our housekeeper teach me how to make when I was living in Port Au Prince for a little while...

Super flavorful.. can be super hot (make it to your taste).. usually eat it with meats "coney style"... goes especially well with pork.. but also kicks ass on everything else from beef to morning eggs, etc..

My recipie (there are several varieties.. and mine has changed up a bit over the years as well)... is:

1/2 red cabbage (traditional pikliz uses green cabbage).. chopped into thin strips (like coleslaw)..
1 table spoon black peppercorns
1/2 tea spoon kosher sea salt
2 carrots finely chopped
1/2 red onion finely chopped
6 scotch bonnet peppers.. seeds left in.. finely chopped (you can add or take away peppers.. and/or seed them if you want more/less "heat")...
2 cloves of garlic.. finely chopped..

mix well.. then put all of this in a large jar or container.. then fill with vinegar.. until all ingredients are covered...

seal it up.. throw it in the fridge.. and wait 3-4 days before serving...

YUM!
Oh yeah, I am making this for sure. Sounds kinda like a Haitian version of kimchi. Thanks Dave.

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Curtis you can't go wrong. He made some at the Herf he threw and I've bn hooked have made it twice now and its a very good topping to a lot of things:)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Its a lot like "winter" kimchi... different kind of "heat" to it.. but the texture/consistency.. and the vinegar/cabbage taste is similar...

I LOVE some kimchi too.... (Korean food in general, actually..)....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
About halfway there (a little less actually.. But getting close...)

Couple more pear branches on (making some awesome smoke!)... And a couple of polish sausages added as well (a hard workin brother has to have lunch!)...

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Started getting the fire started at about 8 this morning with the pork hitting the it about 9 am.

Had to brave a decent thunder storm

At about hour 4.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Already getting some nice bark on that thing... Lookin good!

What temp you cookin at?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

Getting closer! I'm thinking about 2 more hours... Internal temp finally crossed the plateau.. (Been stuck at 165 for a while on the brisket)...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I do... I change it up a bit depending on what I have around the house.. but usually use a apple cider vinegar base (adds some decent flavor.. and helps break things down while keeping moisture present)...

today its just a 50/50 blend of apple cider vinegar and apple juice.. (keeping it pretty simple..)..