What's new

Worth it to go to Cuba? Questions...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You used to be able to bring a bottle of unopened wine on Carnival. Before leaving I drank a bottle, changed the label and refilled it with Scotch, put in a new cork and heat shrink topper. Worked just fine but I believe they no longer allow you to bring any liquor into your cabin that isn't purchased on board. They lose to much money.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
You used to be able to bring a bottle of unopened wine on Carnival. Before leaving I drank a bottle, changed the label and refilled it with Scotch, put in a new cork and heat shrink topper. Worked just fine but I believe they no longer allow you to bring any liquor into your cabin that isn't purchased on board. They lose to much money.
one bottle of wine/champagne per adult is still allowed :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They kill you with the taxes on the free open bar tho. We have a norwegian cruise booked for next year but we had a choice for 2 free cruisers or free bar for two... went with two free cruises for our kids. If we wouldve grabbed free open bar the taxes alone wouldve been 1200
We only have to pay $19.99 per day per person in fees and we can pay it now or wait until after the cruise. I'll probably pay it before we go since I like having everything paid for as soon as possible. We'll drink more than enough to make up for that.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
We only have to pay $19.99 per day per person in fees and we can pay it now or wait until after the cruise. I'll probably pay it before we go since I like having everything paid for as soon as possible. We'll drink more than enough to make up for that.
Ah nice I just saw they waive the taxes on the Cuba cruise. On our Bermuda cruise out of New York they wouldn’t :(

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
But if you went to Cuba, you could get your Behikes just as they came off the virgin’s thighs.

And, no, not now, not never on Carnival. Spent 12 hours bobbing in the middle of the southern Caribbean with no power. None. Zero. No emergency lighting, nothing. Some kind of extreme computer glitch shut down EVERYTHING. No AC, no cooked food, couldn’t flush toilets, all of the water tight doors slammed closed because the electromagnets that hold them open had no power.

Nothing like the Carnival cruise that was stranded for days, but same kinds of problems and bad enough for me.

Trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I always worry about that, hence why I’ve never been on a cruise before

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Totally worth it if you are a car buff.....cars that you won't see again in our lifetime are running and amazing shape. Add the fact that you can shop for Cuban Cigars and bring back 100....you're wife can bring another 100 and then befriend some people and that can go upwards into the 100's after that.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Totally worth it if you are a car buff.....cars that you won't see again in our lifetime are running and amazing shape. Add the fact that you can shop for Cuban Cigars and bring back 100....you're wife can bring another 100 and then befriend some people and that can go upwards into the 100's after that.
How did you come up with the 100 limit?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Resale of any kind is prohibited. But you will have to pay tax on most of those cigars when you reach the U.S. The U.S. allows you to bring in up to 100 cigars (four standard boxes) or $800 worth without paying a duty, whether the cigars are Cuban, Dominican, Nicaraguan or from another country.

So many articles lately that it changes like the wind....guess if you bring back too many the Federales will let you know.

Then there is this article.....https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-ditches-limits-on-bringing-in-cuban-cigars-cuban-rum/

Clear as mud if you ask me. Take the bands off and then come home and smoke the $hit outta them.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So OP and 3 friends could bring back a total of 4 Behikes to the states (which was what he said he was looking for) but since he said he had 18 days of vacation coming up, I’m guessing he ain’t from the states.

Trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Resale of any kind is prohibited. But you will have to pay tax on most of those cigars when you reach the U.S. The U.S. allows you to bring in up to 100 cigars (four standard boxes) or $800 worth without paying a duty, whether the cigars are Cuban, Dominican, Nicaraguan or from another country.

So many articles lately that it changes like the wind....guess if you bring back too many the Federales will let you know.

Then there is this article.....https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-ditches-limits-on-bringing-in-cuban-cigars-cuban-rum/

Clear as mud if you ask me. Take the bands off and then come home and smoke the $hit outta them.
No need to remove the bands, you can bring back as many as you want for personal consumption. My buddy in Virginia brings back 20 boxes at times with no issues

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Last I read it was up to the discretion of the border agent to decide if you are bringing them in for resale or personal consumption. There is a reasonably small tax when you exceed the limit for duty free but whether or not the agent makes you pay it is also at his discretion. Personal consumption vs resale is the key

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work overseas, but a citizen of the US. I'll be bringing back at least a dozen boxes. Maybe 20-25. We'll see what happens.
There is a price list that is set by the gov of Cuba on cigars. Not sure if you guys knew that. Behike is the only one where people go nuts and throw benjamins at the shop owners to save them for them. Otherwise they are only 221, 292, and 318 CUC respectively (52, 54, 56). Hell, a box of Talisman is 331 CUC.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I work overseas, but a citizen of the US. I'll be bringing back at least a dozen boxes. Maybe 20-25. We'll see what happens.
There is a price list that is set by the gov of Cuba on cigars. Not sure if you guys knew that. Behike is the only one where people go nuts and throw benjamins at the shop owners to save them for them. Otherwise they are only 221, 292, and 318 CUC respectively (52, 54, 56). Hell, a box of Talisman is 331 CUC.
Good luck :)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would you be my friend ....or neighbor ...in my best Mr. Rogers voice...