What's new

the neophyte piper diary

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I know if/when I jump off that cliff the Labrador is some I'll have to have
It's really an enjoyable baccy. Initial opening and "sniff" was hazelnut. My brother and girlfriend took a whiff and said chocolate and hazelnut. And a sudden crave for a hazelnut coffee with it. I
I'm also a duck hunter with a chocolate lab so that has a lot to do with it lol
Come to the Island. Plenty of ducks here for you. I've been wanting to hunt for deer with my girlfriend's father since I started dating her 5 years ago. Sadly, health conditions for both of us put us out of the short shotgun season we have here the past few years. Oct 1st-Dec 31st is bow only and jan 1st-30th is special late season for shotgun/muzzleloader.

But I also liked the baccy because I once had a yellow lab, so it reminds me of her. We had to put her down a few years ago. And she usually was outside with me whiffing the smoke of my cigar. I could tell what she liked and didn't like with the smoke lol.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Bow hunting is where it's at. Tougher but when you succeed it's that much better. We have a good long deer season here in Arkansas with much of it being bow but plenty of time for all 3

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order in at pipesandcigars.com
Early morning pipe
Nightcap
Haunted bookshop
Bought a pouch and a cheap wooden cob too.
While on lunch, I picked up a cob and some "smoker friendly classic black" and "carter hall".
SWEET!

I enjoy both the Dunhill's very much. Oddly enough, I have really come to enjoy putting the Early Morning in first (first half), and then the Nightcap on top. Dying to try that Haunted Bookshop - it's in my cart waiting for my next order lol!!

Take pics!!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Order in at pipesandcigars.com
Early morning pipe
Nightcap
Haunted bookshop
Bought a pouch and a cheap wooden cob too.
While on lunch, I picked up a cob and some "smoker friendly classic black" and "carter hall".
Just put mine in too! Who makes that haunted bookshop blend???? I've heard of it and can't find them.

My next on the list is the early morning and nightcap, plus the 365 from Dunhill. I have to smoke what I already have.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
DUN DUN DUUUHHHHHNNN!

also, haunted bookshop is a C&D blend, IIRC, and available in both bulk and tins. IIRC...
Just made a wish list on P&C website with about 10 different baccy's I want to get my hands on one of these days. That's it I'm done for now. You guys are making me spend too much $$$$ on this habit.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just made a wish list on P&C website with about 10 different baccy's I want to get my hands on one of these days. That's it I'm done for now. You guys are making me spend too much $$$$ on this habit.
Remember, as with almost all C&D Bulk baccys, it's not financially wise to buy just 2 or 4 ounces (I'm not being an enabler for once). It took me an order or two before realizing that the drop in price at the 4 ounce quantity was substantial.

For the Haunted Bookstore, 1-3 ounces is $4.65 per ounce but the 4-7 is $2.75 per ounce.
3 ounces = $13.95
5 ounces = $13.75

The initial thought is to always buy just an ounce or two to try it but, with the C&D blends, buying 5 ounces costs less than buying 3.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Remember, as with almost all C&D Bulk baccys, it's not financially wise to buy just 2 or 4 ounces (I'm not being an enabler for once). It took me an order or two before realizing that the drop in price at the 4 ounce quantity was substantial.

For the Haunted Bookstore, 1-3 ounces is $4.65 per ounce but the 4-7 is $2.75 per ounce.
3 ounces = $13.95
5 ounces = $13.75

The initial thought is to always buy just an ounce or two to try it but, with the C&D blends, buying 5 ounces costs less than buying 3.
Thank you for the heads up information on this! Right now it's on the P&C wishlist. I will definitely come back to this when the time comes I order some more baccy.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 ounces = $13.95
5 ounces = $13.75

Damn Rob - you weren't kidding. I just looked at my cart over at 4noggins and noted that the 2oz Tin of C&D's Epiphany cost 9.95 an that 4oz bulk was selling for $10.32.

That's good looking out. I mean being that I am just going to throw it into a glass jar anyway, that's a heck of a savings - thank you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37¢ for an extra two ounces? Not bad at all! Plus, if you know you like the blend, you can enjoy two of the ounces now and jar the other two for longer term storage.
I mean that's the point right there, "if you know you like the blend." I have been trying all kinds of blends to see what I like as being new - I really have no idea at this point. And that's why I simply thought I would go tin by tin - or 2oz at a time to try and figure it out (but I never thought to look at the bulk).

But an extra two oz of figuring out never hurt anyone lol. Seriously - short of something I hate, at this stage I feel I have to give every blend an honest two or three bowls before coming to a conclusion. And were I to not like it -I have two options. Mix it with some base tobaccos or other blends, or you know, lots oh guys here to give it too.

Yeah - good looking out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get confident with the pipe, though, try it without the filter again. I smoked with a filter for the first time in a long time yesterday with my new Brigham (it came with one installed) and while the draw was noticeably dryer, I found the flavors a bit muted.
Just my opinion, anyway.
Personally, I'll give it a few more tries with the filter, but I fully expect I'm going right back to smoking without.
Well somewhere on this forum I stated that I would eat crow were there reason to do so (I think it was my introduction) and... I think there may be reason to do so. The time has come. That said, the filters really gave me the confidence to re-start the hobby. Perhaps just as important, it allowed me focus on learning to smoke vs. trying to avoid bite.

Yes - I have begun to not use filters. And that's after spending $86.00 on buying them by the 100's in both 6mm and 9mm - AND - buying 3 pipes specifically because they had the ability to use filters.

Here is how it happened. Aesthetically, I loved my Big Ben "Barbados." But the dang 3.5" Big Ben "Pipo" (no filter option on it) I got for $40.00 with a can of tobacco, was smoking better than my Barbados. Now I know from this forum that some pipes are just better smokers than others, but that doesn't mean the disappointment is any less. So the last time I grabbed my Barbados, I thought why not just go without the filter this time - couldn't hurt.

Today I did it again, and again I was rewarded with a great smoke and a new passion for my Barbados. I haven't smoked my Savinelli sans filter yet as it seemingly smokes just fine with one. I can only hope that the Sav I am getting in tomorrow smokes as well as the one I have now. But clearly I'll have to try them without to see if my love for filters is really founded or if it really was born out of tongue bite fear.

Of course, as I always maintained, the great thing about pipes which use filters, is that you don't have to use them. I am not disappointed in the least, but I thought it important to update this thread in case there's a new guy reading this pre-purchase. The point I am making is, every pipe is unique and filters aren't necessarily needed to avoid bite. Good smoking habits and if necessary, a quick run with a pipe cleaner may be all you need.

But if you are as terrified of tongue bite as I was, I would still recommend you get a filtered pipe to get you over the hump. You just don't need to get an aditional two right away lol!

On another note. As of tomorrow, I'll have 5 pipes. As of today, I have 24 blends of tobacco... and a ton of 9mm filters I might never use lol! I am calling it - I need an intervention :).