What's new

CoM Review - Cigar of the Month - Master Thread

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Going to take on a new project this year, run similarly to the PToM Pipe Tobacco Reviews, just with cigars.
End goal is to have many of the family here all give their thoughts on the same cigar blend each month.
Only real immediate guideline is that it be something readily available as a single or fiver online, and hopefully that will mean some people will be able to pick them up at their local B&M, too.
We'll all have the opportunity to nominate blends each month, and we'll put up a poll for everyone to vote on what the agreed upon CoM will be for that respective month.
Not quite sure what the defining criteria will be for the nominees in the poll, so I'd like to hear your thoughts. We could shoot for one from each type of wrapper classification (Connecticut, Habano, Maduro, Cameroon, Sumatra, Oscuro, CBL, etc.), one from each major country of origin, or some other way you might think is better yet.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
PRIOR YEAR'S CIGARS OF THE MONTH
Jan 2016 (Habano Wrapper): RoMa Craft Aquitaine (poll)
Feb 2016 (avail as a Lance): Don Pepin Garcia Original (blue label) (poll)
Mar 2016 (Oscuro Wrapper): Crowned Heads La Imperiosa (poll)
Apr 2016: (Mex San Andres Wrapper): Crowned Heads Jericho Hill (poll)
May 2016: (Sumatra Wrapper): Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Capa Especial (poll)
Jun 2016: (Connecticut Wrapper): Tatuaje Cabaiguan (poll)
Jul 2016: (Broadleaf Wrapper): RoMa Craft CroMagnon (poll)
Aug 2016: (RIP Carlos Fuente Sr.) Fuente Don Carlos (poll)
Sep 2016: (Maduro Wrapper): Illusione Maduro (poll)
Oct 2016: (Tatuaje) Tatuaje Black (poll)
Nov 2016: (BLTC & HVC) Black Label Trading Co. Lawless (poll)
Dec 2016: (my pick) Crux Passport (no poll)

Last edited:

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Awesome idea! I enjoy the PToM and think a cigar of the month is a great idea.
Maybe we could use vitolas as classifications.
As far as nominations I would start with some common favorites around here: Tat Black CH, DPG Blue label, CH 4 kicks and RoMa Craft Aquitane.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Awesome idea! I enjoy the PToM and think a cigar of the month is a great idea.
Maybe we could use vitolas as classifications.
As far as nominations I would start with some common favorites around here: Tat Black CH, DPG Blue label, CH 4 kicks and RoMa Craft Aquitane.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
I'm not sure you can still get the Tat Black CG in singles or fivers, can you? But the PL is usually available.
Do you have a favorite vitola for the DPG Blue, 4 Kicks, or Aquatine?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I like the vitola theme. Maybe we could work it as one specific brand of the cigar for the month and work it with different vitolas. For example all vitolas of La Imperiosa from Crowned Heads.

I don't want to go off of the topic ans just brainstorming about this, but if there's a release to certain states but readily available to them and we can't find it on Famous or small batch maybe we could do a group box buy and pp funds if someone is willing to purchase, split it up and ship for us for reviews??? That seems like a lot of work though but if anyone is willing to do the leg work I'm all for it. Sadly, not much for state only releases here :(

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Are we intending to launch in February or January? We could always start voting later this month for February and let you, as our leader, select the January cigar and just run with it. :) (I like that idea personally)
If I can get enough participation for a poll by this evening, I'll run it and have a Jan CoM chosen then by Wednesday.
But if it's straggling this evening, I can just pick something...

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'm not sure you can still get the Tat Black CG in singles or fivers, can you? But the PL is usually available.
Do you have a favorite vitola for the DPG Blue, 4 Kicks, or Aquatine?
I'm a lancero whore like many of us around here but for 4 kicks robusto, DPG blue lancero and Aquitane anthropology

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
If I can get enough participation for a poll by this evening, I'll run it and have a Jan CoM chosen then by Wednesday.
But if it's straggling this evening, I can just pick something...
for the sake of "time", i say you just pick something for Jan... and then start a poll a week before Feb for the Feb smoke. it would be nice to keep with the already "established" themes - lanceros during Feb, monster sticks during Oct, etc.
just my humble opinion

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I'm a lancero whore like many of us around here but for 4 kicks robusto, DPG blue lancero and Aquitane anthropology
I think we'll save Lancero for @King Kill 33 Doug's "Lancero February" then. :D
How about January we run with "Habano" wrappers, and that will give us two already nominated in the Crowned Heads Four Kicks Robusto and Roma Craft Aquitaine Anthropology (essentially a Corona Gorda)
If we can get at least three more nominations by this evening, I'll put together a quick poll.
What are your favorite "Habano" wrapper cigars?

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Going to be hard for me to vote between the two of those but I know the Matilde and Ninfamaniacs are also Habano wrappers.
Also @brewinhoologan has some Habano hand rolls lol

I think picking a theme and having nominations is a great idea. I like the Habano wrapper theme and lancero February with have a million nominations!

I'm also with @tadpole on the running with current themes. Monster October and Lancero February will be fun months. I hope this all pans out like you planned, should be fun to play along

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
So far we've got:
  • Crowned Heads Four Kicks (Robusto, 5x50)
  • Roma Craft Aquitaine Anthropology (Corona Gorda 5.75x46)
  • Matilde Renacer (Corona, 5.5x44)
  • Crux Ninfamaniac (Ninfa 7x33)

Anyone else have a favorite Habano wrapper, or one you've been itching to try and just needed a reason to buy?!
(y)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Voted.
I'll probably need suggestions on where to locate singles/fivers for whatever wins...

~ Dale
Georgia, USA
I linked to where you can find each stick. I linked to BOTL sponsors, unless I couldn't find it on their site.
  • Crowned Heads Four Kicks (Robusto, 5x50) - Famous, JR
  • RoMa Craft Aquitaine Anthropology (Corona Gorda 5.75x46) - Famous, Small Batch
  • Matilde Renacer (Corona, 5.5x44) - CI
  • Crux Ninfamaniac (Ninfa 7x33) - Cigar Fed
  • Oliva Serie V (Belicoso 5x54) - Famous
  • Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos (Corona Gorda 5.63x46 - Famous, JR

Last edited: